Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Carb. sink analog gauges
Sorry if this has been asked already. I have done a search for analog gauges but do not see my question anywhere. I have just rebuilt my carbs useing Randakk's kit. I also went out to local shop and bought the 4 analog gauges motorcycle kit. My question is all 4 gauges, the needle's are jumping back and forth. From 0 to about 10 and some are going over (behind) the 0 mark. I can not seem to get these sink up correctly. Needle jumping the way they are is making it hard. I was talking to a backyard mechanic I know and he said the needles should not travel that far apart. they should be pretty steady. He told me that it sounds like the valves are not sealing right. He told me to use (I think he called it Cem Tool valve cleaner). Does this sound correct. Needles should be steady?

I would appropriate any help. Please
#1 02-28-2009, 07:37 PM,
go to any pstore that sells fish tank/ aquarium items and find yourself line shut offs. You sinply turn the dial until the vacumm steadies it self and you get a good reading. You want some jump but only 1-2 inches Hg if that .
#2 02-28-2009, 07:49 PM,
This kit has a small restrictor hole in the tubes. This hole is not enough restriction. Do I need the fish tank valve anyway.

here are the gauges I bought. Not from this link. From local shop.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product735.html">http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product735.html</a><!-- m -->
#3 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM,
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.carbtune.com/">http://www.carbtune.com/</a><!-- m -->
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM,
hey, guess what..... I just found the cutoff T valves. They were in the bottom of the box under packing. I feel stupid now. I spent about 21/2 to 3 hrs messing with these carbs. I appreciate the help. I would have not found these if you didn't tell me they were in kit.
#5 02-28-2009, 08:51 PM,
bob NE In. Wrote:Couldn't find my dentures once and borrowed my wife's. Talked fourteen hours straight before my jaw finally locked up.

Let me guess, you've borrowed your wife's gloves now? :mrgreen:
#6 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM,
I got it I think. Took me about an hour to get it right. I haven't took in for a test run yet. I got a long ways to go yet. I got all the tupperware off the bike. There is a list of things I need to do yet. I would like to thank all of you for the help on this one. Check this one off my list.
#7 03-01-2009, 12:23 AM,
Quote:Couldn't find my dentures once and borrowed my wife's. Talked fourteen hours straight before my jaw finally locked up.

That cracked me up!
#8 03-01-2009, 06:53 AM,
Bob, Do say hi to OJ for us (you guys seem to think alot like each other)... :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Ed Zogg
#9 03-01-2009, 08:45 AM,
Randakk suggests making sure analog gauges are synched to each other. Since that is already a set, maybe they come that way, but it might be worth checking.
bootlegger

'76 sulphur yellow
'76 LTD in a basket
'86 Aspencade
'78 CX500 (pre-wing for my son)
#10 03-01-2009, 11:47 AM,
Well I am still having problems. I get the carb lined up and I get a backfire sound. If I retard carb 2 alittle seems to help the backfire,Still there but farther apart. I have put new plugs in today. I also noticed when I looked at plug 2 it was wet with gas. None of the others were wet. When I did carb rebuild kit. I changed air cutoff rubber plunger and spring, but it came with a small O-ring. I dont have a clue where this O-ring goes. When I took it apart I didnt see O-ring. Also I did not touch after burner. Kit did not have parts for after burner. The backfire comes at idle and more when I give very little gas or when returning back to idle from rev up.

PS. Gauges are all in sink together. Needle is sitting just below 0 on white line. On all gauges.
#11 03-01-2009, 06:18 PM,
Now I only get the popping sound when I give it very little gas. Im confused. I checked float levels today. They are good.
#12 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM,
A little birdie told me you got your backfire problem solved......how about posting your findings. Inquiring minds want to know.
#13 03-05-2009, 06:24 PM,
I think I have it fixed. I checked all compression on all cylinders. All was 145 to 146. I then took a timing light connected it to #2. I watched the light and it would intermit . I then checked other cylinders with light and they were steady light rhythm. I had a set of coil paks in my extra parts. I changed coil and reset carbs. Purrs like a kitten now. I did notice the condition of the wires looked bad. I will changed them next. I really do appropriate all the help.
As soon as I get all the tupperware painted and back on the bike I will post pics.
#14 03-05-2009, 10:20 PM,
tricky Wrote:http://www.carbtune.com/

My carbtunes arrived from Ireland. They look a well made unit, I saw them in action down in Calhoun last year. They are vacuum gauges without mercury. I shall give them a test this morning.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#15 03-08-2009, 07:40 AM,