Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Flocking of the LTD's
I know this was intended as a general site for the 1200's but it seems like a lot of the LTD folk are here. Pretty cool, and I don't think I've seen this many different pics of the LTD in one forum before.

That would be nice to have a stronger repository of information on the LTD/SEi, and they are a pretty wing to look at anyway.
#1 12-23-2006, 11:00 PM,
Hey Quake, just in case you haven't noticed the LTD and the SEi are 1200's also. All 1984 - 1987 models of GL1200's are included on this site.

The fuelies are the special ones with all the eletronic gizmo's and doodads.

I've got a complete LTD engine in my garage and I'm working at building a homemade ECU for it so that I can offer the same unit to other LTD and SEi owners. A Honda ECU goes for $1400. if you can find one. YUCK Better to buy one like mine for less than $500. brand new and mine is adjustable.

Now back on topic, yes they are some of the prettiest Wings ever made those LTD's and SEi's and they are my favorites. When I get rich I'd love to own one.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 12-23-2006, 11:08 PM,
quakeholio Wrote:I know this was intended as a general site for the 1200's but it seems like a lot of the LTD folk are here. Pretty cool, and I don't think I've seen this many different pics of the LTD in one forum before.

That would be nice to have a stronger repository of information on the LTD/SEi, and they are a pretty wing to look at anyway.

I love my LTD, it sort of spoiled me. When I was looking for a 15-18, I couldn't find one I liked as much as my LTD, that was in my price range anyway 8)
#3 12-24-2006, 04:51 AM,
It just seems like there are alot of LTD pics listed on the site compaired to the number of Interstate/Aspencade, and I don't think I've seen a standard on this site yet.

I hope I wasn't missunderstood, I love the LTD, been having some stern talking to mine recently. She needs to become a model goldwing in her behavior and she is fighting me a bit.

As to your megasquirt I salute you, I'm sure you know by know. I do hate to say it this way but I probably wouldn't chose to put the megasquirt on my wing unless mine went out and I couldn't find another unit. I'm thinking that the megasquirt will not be able to send the output back to the trip computer that it needs. I would guess that the ECU feeds the trip computer the information regaurding fuel consumption so that it can calculate the MPG's and the remaining range of the bike. I have however seen someone run the stock computer and the megasquirt together. They split the wires so the inputs would go to the megasquirt and the stock computer but the wires for the injector from the stock computer were cut, and the megasquirt was running them instead.

Now, if I was going to go with my original idea of putting fuel injection on a carberated wing this is exactly what I would do. I think I've read that the TB's would phisicaly swap out the carbs on the 1200, then you would just have to add the right set of sensors.

Hmm, just a thought by maybe you could look at adding an O2 sensor onto your system to be added by the owner?
#4 12-24-2006, 08:18 AM,
Here's a pic of a yellow standard <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=30">http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=30</a><!-- m -->

and there used to be a beautiful blue standard here someplace.

I do understand what you are saying about the trip computer integration and how it would be better if it were all one unit and I agree although I can honestly see the Megasquirt doing the entire job with one unit but you would really need to know electronics to do so, although there are some really resourceful guys out there who can make magic. Maybe they'll join up here and help us out with scematics and advice.

Converting a carbed Wing to fuel injection is the path I'd like to follow once I get the Megasquirt working tops.

Fuel injection is so very nice to drive. No stalling, no choke, just get up and go.

Adding the O2 sensor, like you say, would make a big difference to drivability and fuel economy and leaves the door open for a fuel efficiency gauge which could help drivers obtain maximum fuel economy.

#5 12-24-2006, 09:18 AM,
I think that dropping the fuel injected bikes like the LTD/SEI was a real mistake by Honda. My SEI was the best running bike I've ever been on. Same smooth idle regarless of temperature, never a bit of hesitation, good fuel economy, and it would run the legs off any Goldwing except the 1800. Loved that trip computer. Really liked the enhanced instrumentation, oil pressure and temperature. Those were some fine bikes. My idea of the ideal Goldwing (forgive me guys) is a fuel injected 1500.
Current: GL1100 GL1500 Previous: GL1200SEI
#6 01-14-2007, 11:08 PM,
Not to put down the 1500 and 1800 but according to the 1/4 mile times I've seen the 1200 could outrun both the 1500 and the 1800. Lighter weight and stiffer gear ratio (same gear ratio but smaller diameter tires) and a much higher redline made the 1200 not only quicker but also faster because the 1200 did not have a computer restricted top speed. Funny thing is that the 1200 did all this while rendering better fuel economy.

I'm searching for absolute verification to these claims but they seem make sense from all the tidbits of info I've picked up over the years.

If anyone has old magazine articles to prove these claims I would sure appreciate it or if you have timeslips from the racetrack I'd like to see them as well, but you must be shifting at the 7500 RPM redline and have a good response time.

Exavid, there was a fellow on Steve's site that had installed fuel injection on his 1500 with excellent results.

#7 01-15-2007, 07:59 AM,
I remember that Honda did have some problems with the CFI that got them scared, scared enough of putting it on another wing for almost 15 years. As a result the twin carbs on the GL1500 have more wires then a fuel injection system.

I still wonder about how much work it would be to put a CFI on a 1200 I or A. Probably look a little weird on a S, but what a conversation bit that would be.

I do have to agree that the wing is probably the best bike I've ridden so far. I have ridden more bikes that a powerhouses like the GS1100 and the CB900C. I was wondering how the wing would feel, just kept telling myself I would have to ride to know.
#8 01-15-2007, 08:02 AM,
There'd be a lot of work involved. New rh cam, water heated iac valve, different crank trigger wheel, and generator, two triggers on back of rh cam. Different fuel tank, or modify the existing one for a return, High pressure fuel pump, and related lines and hoses. Different water pump cover. Different housing behind thermostat, all related hoses and brackets. Different coils, different ignitors, more relays, etc.
Place to mount the ecu. If using oem setup, then fetching the oem mount would be the thing to do. Then you have to convert the wiring. Big job, just in and of itself.

I have most all that stuff, and an 85 Interstate that I thought about doing the conversion to, but I've decided that it's just too much work. By the time I round up the pieces I need, I'd have another 500.00 in it. Not worth it, I'm afraid.

But, I am looking into MSing my 1500. Or maybe a GM 747 ecu. That would be real neat, as Exavid said.
Time for studs,, and/or skis

GL1500SE (for sale), GL1800 Bob in So. Oregon
#9 01-15-2007, 01:02 PM,
Bob, the easy way to do it is to keep an eye on Ebay and pick up some used LTD or SEi parts there then you could use an electric idle speed controller off a car and use a Megasquirt ECU to manage things nicely.

I guess that I am just going to have to finish the EFI on my 1200 and share the instructions. (Should have been done ages ago but a dumb old heart attack got in my way.)

#10 01-15-2007, 02:16 PM,