Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
something to watch for
ok conversion done, took the bike ot for a spin and smelled something burning, got back and found that the sealer on the back of the old rectifer was melting and smoking Confusedhock: so I unplugged the rectifer harness and cut the three yellow wires and everything worked fine, so I pictched the rectifer. so now I'm wondering why this happened?
any thoughts
?
#1 04-14-2007, 01:59 PM,
I think in most of the posts it has been noted that it's no longer necessary to leave the regulator/rectifier connected.

The output from the external alternator is sufficient to keep the battery charged.

While your at it check the level of electrolyte in the battery if you have a wet cell battery that is.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 04-14-2007, 04:46 PM,
I'm betting that the regulator was trying to handle the current that stock system puts out, and with the 50 amp alternator dumping power into the system the poor stock regulator didn't have a place for all the energy to go.

Just a guess.
#3 04-14-2007, 05:08 PM,
Do you have a 50 amp fuse on the external alternator?

#4 04-14-2007, 07:18 PM,
tricky Wrote:Do you have a 50 amp fuse on the external alternator?

on the altenator wire to the battery? not yet, I'm looking for a breaker
the battery isn't over charging, that's the first thing I checked.
#5 04-15-2007, 03:46 AM,
magoo; hit Princess Auto they have all sorts of different amp breakers.

Howard
Howard & Sharon Sims-GWRRA#259911
EX 1986 Aspencade
EX 2002 GL-1800

[Image: VisitedProvincesMap-copy.jpg][Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#6 04-20-2007, 04:16 PM,
I did and explained what I needed it for, they didn't have one but the guy explained to me that having a 50 amp altenator on a bike will cook the battery that the small battery can't take the charging amps, he said that it will charge non stop and burn up the wiring, but so far I haven't had a problem I check the battery for low electrolite, or was that bud-lite :lol:, anyway so far so good. I'm going to paris in june to look for more goodies at the swap meet maybe I'll see you there look for a black wing with one gold coloured battery side cover cover :oops:
#7 05-04-2007, 03:33 AM,
We usually go to the classic event. Interesting bikes and people.
Let me know close to the day you are coming as my work schedule can change in an instant.

Howard
Howard & Sharon Sims-GWRRA#259911
EX 1986 Aspencade
EX 2002 GL-1800

[Image: VisitedProvincesMap-copy.jpg][Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#8 05-04-2007, 04:44 AM,
If you ask at Princess auto to punch the number 8007215 that is the number for their 50 amp break, however it is an auto reset breaker.
If you go to your local marine supply store they may order one like this

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=508&start=75">http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopi ... 8&start=75</a><!-- m -->

If you look down the page you will see how I installed it.

The one with the cable is about $22 but it is 6 gauge. these are manual reset which are safer.

I do have an auto reset breaker from Princess auto which I swapped out for the manual reset, they cost about $7.95 but I also found them at a recreational vehicle center for about $5.95. These were also auto reset.

The manual reset breaker with cable is used for a trolling motor.

I know there is one at a marine store in Port Dover opposite the Tim Hortens.

#9 05-04-2007, 06:00 AM,
The man is quite right about over charging the battery, IF there was no regulator built into the system. Corse them silly little alternators have a internal rectifier and a regulator, so I guess they will not over charge the system.

If the there was no regulator in the charging system odds are that you would have to change the alternator when you turned on you car headlights because of the change in load.
#10 05-04-2007, 06:12 AM,