Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Conversion fit issues???
As best I can explain, here's the deal. The Poorboy kit has everything you need except the alternator and the belt. IF... you follow his instructions, use the proper alternator, etc., it's a pretty straightforward process that I could have done in one day.

HOWEVER, most of us are experimenters and love to tinker. Because of that we are always looking at different ways to do it and put our own personal touches on it. It's a bit of fun to compare notes and see what we did different. As well, there's always a chance one of us will come up with an easier or faster way.

Even with all of that, it's 50 times easier than changing out a stator and a lot more reliable. In addition, if the alternator does fail, it can be changed out on the side of the road in half an hour.

We're just having fun doing our own customizing. Smile
#16 03-28-2007, 05:36 PM,
GOOD EVENING TO ALL: BEING A NEWBIE ON THIS SITE I AM HESITANT TO OPEN MY MOUTH TOO MUCH AND REMOVE AS THE OLD SAYING GOES ANY DOUBT TO MY IGNORANCE LEVEL. I WOULD LIKE TO RESPOND TO CAPTPFD, I HAVE PERSONALLY CHECKED WITH ONE OF THE TTOP MECHANICS IN MY STATE OF OKLAHOMA, HE HAS LOOKED OVER THE CONVERSIONS WITH MATERIALS I HAVE SUPPLIED FROM HERE AND HAS DONE ON OF THE POORBOY CONVERSIONS HIMSELF. AND SAYS HIS WORDS ,THE GREATEST THING SINCE TIOLET PAPER FOR THE 1200'S AND THIS GUY IS HONDA FACTORY TRAINED. I ASKED HIM WHAT IT WOULD COST FOR HIM TO REPLACE MY STATOR AND I QUOTE AND HE TAKES THIS FROM THE BOOK, 8-12 HRS LABOR AT HIS RATE 45.00 HR. PLUS COST OF GOOD STATOR 175-225.00 I DONT THINK YOU ARE GOING TO FIND ANY QUALIFIED MECHANIC TO REPLACE THE STATOR FOR 500.00 ANY WHERE CLOSE TO OUR PART OF THE WORLD TEXAS OR OK. PLUS CONTEMPLATE LIFE OF THE STATOR, COULD BE THIRTY DAYS OR LESS COULD BE 20 YRS, AND SOLDERING THE THREE YELLOW WIRES IS NOT A CURE FOR ITS DESIGN FLAW MERELY STOP GAP MEASURE. JUST THROWING MY 2 CENTS WORTH IN THKS TO ALL :MIKE
MIKE BURNS AKA WINDWALKER
MOUNTAIN PARK, OK
1984 ASPY RIDE ON OF THE CLASSICS, IT IS MY MAIN HOBBY. WOULDNT OWN ANY THING BUT A WING, ALL OTHERS I CONSIDER TO NOT REALLY BE BIKES!!
#17 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM,
sundance Wrote:As best I can explain, here's the deal. The Poorboy kit has everything you need except the alternator and the belt. IF... you follow his instructions, use the proper alternator, etc., it's a pretty straightforward process that I could have done in one day.

HOWEVER, most of us are experimenters and love to tinker. Because of that we are always looking at different ways to do it and put our own personal touches on it. It's a bit of fun to compare notes and see what we did different. As well, there's always a chance one of us will come up with an easier or faster way.

Even with all of that, it's 50 times easier than changing out a stator and a lot more reliable. In addition, if the alternator does fail, it can be changed out on the side of the road in half an hour.

We're just having fun doing our own customizing. Smile

Don't ya know, that's where technology comes from. Constantly looking for a better way no matter what we're doing. Idea :wink:
#18 03-28-2007, 11:50 PM,
Or how hard it is to pull it off.
#19 03-29-2007, 06:50 AM,
HEY ANY BODYWORKING ON AN IDEA FOR AIR CONDITIONING, IT GETS HOTTER THAN YOU KNOW WHAT OUT HERE IN THE SUMMER :lol:
MOUNTAIN PARK, OK
1984 ASPY RIDE ON OF THE CLASSICS, IT IS MY MAIN HOBBY. WOULDNT OWN ANY THING BUT A WING, ALL OTHERS I CONSIDER TO NOT REALLY BE BIKES!!
#20 03-29-2007, 06:56 AM,
Mike,
As far as the air conditioning, just go faster. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol won't mind. Sorry I couldn't resist!!!! Big Grin

suks2bu37
#21 03-29-2007, 07:42 AM,
To all, I wasn't suggesting that any factory- trained mechanic would consider doing an exchange/replacement of the stator for $500 as I am fully aware of the appx. $1200 cost of that job at a dealership or bike shop. I was asking if one of my fellow 1200 gw riders who has done this conversion alternator job and has the confidence,knowledge, and expertise to do another one for hire that I would be willing to pay a fair price to have it done. I too like to tinker and am pretty handy and have a nice shop but my background is not in welding and metal-fabrication. What I do recognize is a future business opportunity! LCR
#22 03-29-2007, 08:30 AM,
HEY CAPTPFD : LETS GET TOGETHER, MY SHOP IS 20X12 PREFAB STORAGE BUILDING, CAN GET AN AIRCRAFT ENGINEER IN ON THE SIDE MAYBE WE CAN BOTH MAKE SOME MONEY NED BETTER SHOP THAN WHAT I HAVE, GOOD EXCUSE TO MOVE BACK TO HOME STATE :lol:
MOUNTAIN PARK, OK
#23 03-29-2007, 08:47 AM,
Les, I think that what the deal is that everyone is unique and want their bikes to be unique also. If everyone used the same alternator the installations would all be identical.

For my installation I used a special alternator with a greater number of segments on the armature/commutator to help with low speed charging. It's expensive but it works for me and my needs.

I also did a one off electric fan relocation that allowed me to keep my radiator in its original position.

By building the conversion kit myself it gave me a greater degree of customization and choice to suit my tastes.

When you're ready to do yours drive up to Ontario, Canada, buy some steaks and I'll BBQ them while I'm assisting you in installing your conversion alternator.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#24 03-29-2007, 09:01 AM,
Bring'em to Alabama and I'll do'em for $600 a pop & I'll furnish everything !! :lol:

Poorboy
#25 03-29-2007, 10:37 AM,
wow sounds like I may need to plan a future road trip, but sorry Vic, Oklahoma or Alabama is a little bit closer than Canada, anyway I like angus beef steaks not moose steaks. HAHA. Les
#26 03-29-2007, 11:15 AM,
HEY LES: WHAT YOU AND I NEED TO DO IS OPEN A SHOP BETWEEN YOU AND ME SOMEWHERE ON THE BORDER OF OK AND TEX, CATERING TO THE CALSSIC WINGS 1200 &1500, THEN GET MAMA UNDERWOODS OUT OF BROWNWOOD TEX TO OPEN BAR-B-Q HOUSE NEXT DOOR, THOSE GUYS IN CANADA DONT KNOW WHAT REAL BAR-B-Q IS. WE GET CUT OFF ALL THE BIKERS EATING THERE PLUS GET THEIR MONEY FOR WORKING ON BIKES :lol:
MOUNTAIN PARK, OK
#27 03-29-2007, 11:28 AM,
Mike sounds like I need to hurry up and retire so I can have more fun. Oh darnet I'm only 42, well maybe I'll finally hit the lottery some day soon here in Texas. Les
#28 03-29-2007, 01:52 PM,
HEY LES, WHEN WE RUN DOWN TO WICHITA FALLS WIFE ALWAYS BUYS 1 SCRATCH OFF SO FAR EACH TRIP SHE HAS COLLECTED 10.00 ON EACH TICKET. NOT BAD FOR $1.00 SCRATCH. ONE OF THESE DAYS GOING TO WIN THE TEXAS 2 STEP IF I EVER BUY TICKET :lol: I KEEP TRYING TO RETIRE SOON BE 57, BUT WIFE SAYS JUST BE RETIRDED :roll: SO YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY :cry: I SENT VIC PIC OF ALTERNATOR I BOUGHT UP HERE FOR MY CONVERSION AKED HIM TO POST AS HAVENT FIGURED OUT HOW TO DO THAT YET, MIGHT BE ON LOOK OUT IN YOUR AREA FOR ONE NICE LITTLE COMPACT UNIT MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR 1998 GEO METRO. MAD BY NIPPONDENSO. I GAVE $27.00 FOR IT FROM LOCAL WRECKING YARD AND THEY GUARANTEED IT WORKS ???? GOING TO TAKE TO ALTERNATOR SHOP ANY WAY AND HAVE IT CHECKED OUT.
MOUNTAIN PARK, OK
#29 03-29-2007, 02:40 PM,
Hey Vic, do you know if anybody has put the fan on the front of the rad and reversed the air flow? I hadn't really thought about it, but it might be a pretty cool solution, especially if you used a chromed fan shroud, etc.
#30 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  charging system issues/ stator issues 9 4,113 12-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Guest
  alternator conversion issues cj7george 7 2,930 01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Last Post: silverfoxwing