Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition Timing
<DIV>I have a 1975 GL1000.</DIV> <DIV>I have a solid state ignition. Dyna III-3</DIV> <DIV>When I check the ignition timing with a timing light the timing mark jumps around a small amount as the light flashes.  It does it with both #2 or # 4.  Is this normal?  Or does this tell me that something is wearing or is ???</DIV> <DIV>42Indian</DIV>
#1 09-09-2007, 08:42 AM,
Is Your advance mechanism moving freeely?<BR>Ray
#2 09-09-2007, 02:29 PM,
<DIV>The advance sure seems to be OK.  Doing the switch back and forth from points to one type of solid state to the final Dyna III-3 i have looked at them ok.  I did not feel any stickyness in the movement but your suggestion makes more sense.  Since the F mark is moving back and forth just a small amount i would imagine that it would not take very much movement of the advance to cause this.  Since it is both the 1-2 and the 3-4 it can't be just one of the pickups.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>42Indian</DIV>
#3 09-10-2007, 11:19 PM,
<DIV>This last time I did it, I was down about a quart.  I did have a small amount of splash out the hole but it was livable.  It was way better than when I did it with a full amount of oil.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>Reddog</DIV> <DIV>Becuase of the individual adjustment of the pickups for 1-2 and 3-4, this is why I went to Dyna.  When I had regular points, I would get the first set of points done and then go to the second and I would run out of adjustment space on the plate and points.  It was always off.  When I put the Dyna on, it gave me enough adjustment to get the 2-4 into position.  I still have a tiny bit of chain noise, so I still must not have it perfect.</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>But the jumping around of the timing light on the marks still bothers me.  When I had points I had used a dwell/tach meter and the needle jumped so bad i could not get a reading.  When I switched to the Dyna, then the dwell/tach meeter was solid as a rock.  So does this support that the camshaft has wear on the bearing that hold it in position and I am seeing the early indication of this with the jumping around of the timing  light and the jumping around of the dwell/tach meter when I had just points installed?</DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV> </DIV>
#4 09-15-2007, 07:34 AM,
<DIV>Thanks for the info Bob.</DIV> <DIV>42Indian</DIV>
#5 09-16-2007, 12:01 AM,
<DIV>Thanks Whiskerfish.</DIV> <DIV>That's a good idea about the PVC.</DIV> <DIV>42Indian</DIV>
#6 09-21-2007, 06:31 AM,