Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comstars on my 77
Sorry about the deleted posts. I tried to add an image inline and couldn't.<BR><BR>Last month I rode 5700 miles to Canada and back. I chose to put on a pair of 79 Comstars so that I didn't have to worry about flat repair with tube tires. I changed out the front end with one I got off eBay for $25 including shipping. I bought 2 sets of Comstars to make sure I got the TUBE type and not the TUBELESS type. You can tell the difference between the two by the size of the valve stem hole. It is smaller on the 78 tube type and larger enough for a stand alone valves stem on the 79 tubeless. The rear wheel was direct fit. I bought a set of calliper brackets for the front and was able to use the stock 77 callipers with it. I painted the black part of the rotors and put on some new Bridgestone Spitfire II tires. They rock! I have 7000 miles on this new set already and they look near new! I had a great ride and the bike performed better than expected! I love this bike!
#1 10-04-2008, 11:25 PM,
<DIV>Im jealous.  Wish i could put on one last long ride yet this year.  Good lookin Bike.</DIV> <DIV>John</DIV>
#2 10-05-2008, 10:22 AM,
<DIV>Notice that I also moved my rear turn signals back to the license plate. I don't prefer the look but this was neccesary to make room for my throw over saddlebags. </DIV>
#3 10-06-2008, 09:58 AM,
Your Wing just keeps getting better looking. I'm surprised there aren't more 75-77 models with Comstars showing up if it's as easy as that. <BR><BR>A note on 78 wheels I have converted my rear wheel to tubeless using a valve stem I purchased on eBay (so, I don't know where anyone could buy more of them!) It uses a large synthetic flat washer to seal against the outside of the wheel and a small o-ring on the inside. I added another flat washer on the inside (stolen from a second valve stem.) Ever since, I have had less trouble keeping pressure in the rear than in the front. <BR><BR>Of course, I'm sure I pinched the front tube at least once while installing it. But the point remains valid... ;-)<BR><BR>
#4 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM,
Thanks for your comments about my bike. I am really enjoying it and am shopping still for a second one to really get into a frame off project!<BR><BR>You can buy the valve stems at most any auto parts store which is where I bought mine. Most that I have seen come with 2 sizes of rubber grommet for different size holes. The one I bought for the rear has a 45 degree stem that allows me to use a straight air hose liek the ones found at many gas stations. The straight one I had before did not allow me enough room to stuff the hose and the tip in the "spoke" opening. Oddly enough, now that I can add air easily, I have no need to as my tire hasn't lost a single lb of air in over 6000 miles! )
#5 10-07-2008, 03:41 PM,