Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Starter Diode Recently Adopted '84 Aspencade
I have been chasing down the wiring on the starter system. I now have a neutral light, the starter motor will turn the engine only when the clutch lever is pulled in. I think I have a problem with the starter diode. How can I test this unit, with out parting with a hunderd bucks to replace it before I am sure it is the problem?

Bob
1984 Aspencade
#1 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM,
The diode is designed to allow current flow in only one direction. Remove the silicon rectifier and test it with an ohm meter. Reverse the leads and check again. You should only have continuity in one direction.
#2 01-05-2009, 01:28 PM,
glhonda ! Now ! There is one handy piece of information !! Thanks

Bob
1984 Aspencade
#3 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM,
[Image: PICT0001.jpg]

I removed the diode from the bike and checked the pins with an ohm meter. The top 2 pins recorded nothing as did the middle 2 pins in either direction. The bottom row of pins between the 2 most outside pins, nothing, between the LH & middle pins, I received a reading on the ohm meter in both directions. Those are the only pins that provided any response. Does this say the diode is not working to spec?

Bob
1984 Aspencade
#4 01-06-2009, 01:32 PM,
Hey Bob......I think you've got the wrong box. That looks like the taillamp sensor.
Here's what you're looking for......
[Image: rectifir.gif.jpg]
#5 01-06-2009, 06:34 PM,
OK, I finally found it, behind the frame rail on the LH side near the gas tank. Two prongs Perpendicular to each other. When I take a reading across the pins according to the + & - indicaors on the diode I get a reading of 9 ohms, when I reverse the ohm meter leads I get a reading of 100 ohms.
BTW what diagram did you find that little bugger on. I have searched high and low for that diode, never did find it.

Bob
1984 Aspencade
#6 01-06-2009, 07:05 PM,
Good news Bob. Your rectifier is definately no good! I tested two that I have (one is out of my running Aspy). They test as previously described. Continuity in one direction, no continuity in the other. So it looks like you've found your problem. The part number is 31700-124-003. Still available from your Honda dealer for about $20.00. I told you it was good news. I have an extra one if they've been discontinued. But you're better off buying new. By the time you paid me for mine and covered shipping it would be a wash anyway. Good luck!
BTW, the picture is from a honda parts fiche. Only problem is, if you don't where to look, you'll never find it. :lol:
#7 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM,
That's the wiring harness diagram. Also, look in Chapter 18 of the Honda Service Manual for more pics and test procedures.
#8 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM,
I finally found the right fiche under the wiring harness and got the part number from there. Thanks for all the help and advise. Wiring has never been my strong suite and there have been a lot of modifications to this wiring. The deeper I get into this thing, the more I shake my head and wonder. I'd still be scratching my head and a** if you had not jumped in there with great instruction.

Bob
1984 Aspencade
#9 01-06-2009, 08:21 PM,
The new starter diode arrived and I installed it today. :mrgreen: The starting problem has been solved. Thanks for all the help with this phase of the problem solving tasks, I appreciate it and doubt that I could have gotten to this point without the help found here. NOW...on to the next one.

Bob
1984 Aspencade
#10 01-16-2009, 03:30 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starter replacement on 1985 Aspencade 8 3,473 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Guest