Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NEW PIPES AND MUFFLERS
admin Wrote:Maybe it all hinges on the type of stainless as I have seen bent stainless pipe in food processing plants.
Yes there are many different types/hardness and now the newest "P.C." name for stainless is CRES as in corrosion resistant.
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#16 05-19-2009, 04:43 PM,
is it because of the small radius bends near the head?
Perhaps we could bend part way (work hardening them), anneal the suckers and finish the bend. Would certainly discolor them if I did it in my forge, but they're going to discolor there anyhow.
Will have to remember this next time pipefitters come to my place of underemployment.
He replaced his car brakelines with some stainless lines, because the replacement lines from the auto store last 2 or 3 years. Says there soft enough to bend by hand.

If the tight radius is the only spot , perhaps some notches and someone with good stainless welding experience. (rules me out)
#17 05-19-2009, 05:29 PM,
Heat was tried during the bending process and the pipe just cracked like a jigsaw puzzle on the outside and had straight cracks on the inside.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#18 05-19-2009, 06:19 PM,
Will have to research a different material, maybe we can get tubing in 6150, I think that's what fork tubes are made of, seems to be rust resistant.

I think elsewhere someone wrote exhaust without the crossover chamber hurt performance, any belief in that?
#19 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM,
Fork tubes are chromed then machined.

That crossover really does make a significant difference at full throttle/high RPM. It's basically a tuned pipe with the crossover in place it also helps gas mileage and reduces noise somewhat because the pressure wave is shared by both mufflers.

#20 05-19-2009, 07:13 PM,
I'm sure stainless can be bent but I'm not sure my local shop can do it. I've had several cars with stainless exhausts including the headers and they were, of course, bent in the manufacturing process. I've also seen custom bike shops bend chrome and stainless pipes although I know most of them bend the pipe and then send it out for chroming and that might be a better solution. I'll continue the research and if anyone else comes up with a 'better idea' please let me know.
#21 05-21-2009, 02:55 PM,
While we're on the subject, is it possible to have the original pipe's and cover's re-chromed?? My exaust is in good shape but the chrome is just a touch pitted....
1985 Limited Edition
#22 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM,
sundance Wrote:I'm sure stainless can be bent but I'm not sure my local shop can do it. I've had several cars with stainless exhausts including the headers and they were, of course, bent in the manufacturing process. I've also seen custom bike shops bend chrome and stainless pipes although I know most of them bend the pipe and then send it out for chroming and that might be a better solution. I'll continue the research and if anyone else comes up with a 'better idea' please let me know.

I believe that it all hinges on the type of stainless pipe that is used. I've worked quite a bit with stainless steel over the years and there are a number of different grades of stainless on the market. Apparently the 300 grade stainless is best for exhaust systems.

Here's a link: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fischerca.com/reference.php">http://www.fischerca.com/reference.php</a><!-- m --> Look around, ask some questions and get what you need.

#23 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM,
roscoepc Wrote:While we're on the subject, is it possible to have the original pipe's and cover's re-chromed?? My exaust is in good shape but the chrome is just a touch pitted....

All you need to do is pull the parts off your bike and send them in to a quality rechromer and bring a thick wallet. High quality show chrome will set you back a big dollar but the finished job looks like jewllery.

#24 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM,
roscoepc Wrote:While we're on the subject, is it possible to have the original pipe's and cover's re-chromed?? My exaust is in good shape but the chrome is just a touch pitted....

Hmmmmm, I sent some antique car parts to a "reputable " plater once. Took the dings out of the bumper guards, beautiful plating job, smooth, couldn't see a file or sanding scratch thru the plate, wish he'd done something with the back of the bumper thou, half plated rust is just a bunch of 1/8 inch razor blades. Put them back on the car, and 3 months later they were rusty, and starting to flack. 2 bumpers, 4 gaurds, $1k

Haven't even waxed a car since.

I would think you'd want someone thats done a lot of exhaust plating, and talk to their customers to see how well replateing lasts on pipes
#25 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM,
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php?cPath=95_109&osCsid=1a9b1f313706b992cf1f44f8f28ae7a9">http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/inde ... f8f28ae7a9</a><!-- m -->

These guys seem to have it figured out. Maybe I'll buy the pipe from them. :ymhug:
#26 05-22-2009, 09:05 AM,
When you talk with them ask if they do custom bending.

#27 05-22-2009, 09:16 AM,
They do custom bends but I get the impression they do it in quantities. They have chopper kits and they also have the custom stainless wire flexible pieces for custom curves. they also have several different stainless mufflers that look really good plus the junctions (2 into 1, 3 into 1, etc.) They have several bends that they supply. I'll research a bit more.
#28 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM,
My bike is still in the process of being built but, Here's what I did. The old set up was wasted so I picked up a pair of Harley Full Dresser slip on stock mufflers at a swap meet for $15 a pair. They were brand new take offs. I went to a local muffler shop and the owner let me pick through his scrap pile. I found an 'ELL' shaped piece of 1 3/4" which the owner gave me for free. I took the 90' ELL and cut it into four equal slices about 3" long. I took two pieces, placed them like an ESS and tacked weled them together. I took that ESS and slipped it over the stock header, held the muffler where I liked the look and then tacked it up too. I added a two inch tube to the end of the ESS so the muffler would slip on and clamp on like stock. After that I welded a bracket to the muffler for support. Took about two hours and I think it looks great. Now if I want to go real crazy I can add any muffler I want that fits a HD Dresser. I'll let you know how she sounds ASAP. All for $15!!!
#29 12-09-2009, 10:11 PM,
Heat it up. Hot piping bends easier than cold does.
1978 'Wing UnDressed, Progressivily Weber Carbureted.
1976 'Wing undressed doner
#30 05-11-2010, 07:10 AM,