Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New owner in Virginia
Yup, sounds like quite an adventure all right! At least you got some riding in! That looks like a sister bike to Keener and mine.
I've just ordered a stator through RMSator also. I got mine through Ebay and according to the tracking from UPS it should be here tomorrow. Make sure you get the one for the carbureted models.
#16 12-07-2008, 06:48 PM,
If I were gonna replace my stator I'd go OEM from Mother Honda as I've not had good luck with aftermarket charging system parts like Electrix regulators. That's why I've pretty much decided to go with the Poorboy conversion when mine goes out.

That said,,, check the stator first. It might be good and all you need is a regulator!!
1985 Limited Edition
#17 12-07-2008, 07:11 PM,
Quote:...check the stator first. It might be good and all you need is a regulator!!

This is the SECOND great tip you guys have given me so far Big Grin ; the first one about elevation got me to thinking correctly and I ended up avoiding some nasty weather in the process. When I figure out what I am doing, I will check the stator for certain - I hope I get so lucky as to only need an new regulator!
#18 12-07-2008, 09:42 PM,
Glad to hear you made it home safely. It wouldn't be an adventure if you didn't have some mishap along the way Big Grin

I noticed you said you had the owner's maunal but do you have a shop manual? If not, I would suggest that you purchase one quickly. You seem to have no fear of tackling your mechanical issues and you will get along much better if you have the proper book. You can sometimes find them on eBay but be very careful buying one that is a PDF or CD. I have found them to be hard to read because some of the old glossy pages do not scan well. If you plan to keep her for a while, you might as well buy a new book. Mother Honda will have them, Bike Bandit, local assessory stores, etc. I paid about $60.00 for mine and do not consider that a bad investment at all. That is an hour of shop time at most dealers so the first time I used the book, it paid for itself!

Good luck with you new baby and have fun!
1986 Aspencade SEi
Former rides: 1970? QA50, 1972 SL125, 1976 Suzuki GT380, 1975 CB200, 1981 CM400T, 1982 CX500 Silver Wing, 1984 500 Shadow
#19 12-08-2008, 05:35 AM,
I have a whole list of things saved in "My eBay" already; shop manuals, mirrors, windshields, oil filter, air filter, etc. Back when I had my first motorcycles in the eighties, I didn't know nothing about nothing, but with the advent of the internet, I am not afraid to tackle just about anything - there is just so much information available online.

I will definitely be getting a shop manual - I prefer to figure out things for myself (with the help of the internet), and at a minimum I absolutely hate to walk into a dealership/local garage without knowing exactly what needs to be done beforehand. The only job I am somewhat hesitant to tackle is actually pulling the engine (my tool box is a little weak), but I have begun troubleshooting my charging problem. My first minor victory? I found and checked the 3-yellow-wire connector! The connector was a little fried but not terrible. Still, I intend to cut it out and solder the connections.
#20 12-08-2008, 12:38 PM,
I wouldn't recommend buying a Honda Factory manual through eBay. Most are used and very pricey. I bought a brand new edition from these people: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/1984/27/0/341/13073">http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles ... /341/13073</a><!-- m -->

Fast delivery and very well priced.
#21 12-08-2008, 01:47 PM,
I have now purchased a Clymer GL1200 manual online and am waiting for it to show up. I am still groping my way along here, trying to figure out what I am doing.

In the meantime I have already installed a pair of chrome carb covers. I am usually not much for "big" chrome and lights, but a touch of chrome here and there is okay. Plus the chrome carb tops match the chrome carb covers so much better than the dull oem caps. I rate this job a "1" on the difficulty scale. (1 = so easy even I could do it.)
#22 01-17-2009, 06:01 AM,
Did you run the bike after putting on the carb tops.??? Reason I ask is I had purchased 4 chrome tops for mine... They were not nearly as well made as the original ones and they caused issues with the vacuum diaphram in the carbs... Ended up just buffing out the originals (shine like chrome now) and putting them back on...

Do be carefull with aftermarket parts you buy... For example the mirror problem you stated is likely because they are aftermarket... I purchased a pair of the aftermarket ones only to find they would not hold position at all... I broke down and bought the mother Honda ones and they work fantastic (even over large bumps)...

You seem to be internet savy... There was a recent post on this site with the URL to the shop manuals zipped up and ready for down loading...

Another area (other than the stator testing) you really should inspect is the rear wheel bearings... The 84's were prone to have the right side bearing loosen up in the hub... Also while you are there, it would be a good time to grease the drive splines as well...

Good luck with your new baby and if you are in the Baltimore area sometime, possibly we could take a ride together (I have a 87 Aspy)...
Ed Zogg
#23 01-17-2009, 10:24 AM,
How's the bike coming? Sounds likek quite a trip to get her Tongue . Let us know if you decide to change the stator yourself - how it is going. Idea take pics - they are good reference for the future - or someone else who maybe doing the same thing. Good Luck-------------Wng Dng
#24 02-21-2009, 02:54 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New owner from Virginia blueridgerunner 16 12,559 11-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Last Post: firstwing85
  Greetings from Luray, Virginia! dmcclure2 13 8,950 09-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Guest
  West Virginia Blackbird says hello first post. 10 7,109 08-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Guest
  New member from northern Virginia 13 9,834 06-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Last Post: bluewing