Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this cause for worry?
Hi all last night when I got off work about 2 in the morning, I was worming my 84 GL1200 up if I don't it hicups for the first mile or so. Any way My bike has crome covers over the exaust and when I got on I looked down and the pipes where cherry red. Once I took off they cooled down. I know pipes get HOT DUHH! but is bright cherry red too hot? I havn't had the bike that long and don't want to have to over haul the engine so soon.
#1 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM,
What RPM was the engine turning while you were warming it up & how long did you let it run ??
Poorboy
#2 11-19-2008, 03:42 PM,
I had it at full choke then when it started to rev up over 4000 rpm's I ideled it back to about 1000rpm's and I had set there for about 5 minutes to lessen the hic uping when it is cold
#3 11-19-2008, 04:00 PM,
OK I would guess a carb sinc is in order. I guess I will start there. This morning I didn't notice the pipes getting as red, But i didn't let it Idel as long. after choke when RPM'S started climbing I ideled it back to about 2100 then down to 1000. Well i will let you know how the carb sinc turns out Thanks
#4 11-20-2008, 08:05 AM,
Wing Nut 47, you said you had the bike on full choke. How long do you leave the choke on? I was told several years ago by a Honda mechanic you should only use the choke to start the engine then lessen the choke as soon as possible. I usually put the choke on start, then choke off, then put the throttle lock on about 1000 rpm until it will idle on it's own, usually in just a couple minutes.
1986 Aspencade
#5 11-20-2008, 03:46 PM,
I just got the bike so I don't know when if ever the air cut off valve has ever been rebuilt. when I start the bike I pull the choke about 1/2 to 3/4 way down then when it starts to rev up I back it down to 1200 RPM'S for 2 to 3 minutes then all the way off. I am going to start doing like was sugested. Use the choke just to start it then use the throttle lock. I have been keeping an eye on it and it has never gotten as cherry red as it did. I sure thank you all for your reply's Big Grin
#6 11-21-2008, 08:51 AM,