Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Waterpump Changeout
It's a bit tight getting at some of the bolts on the front cover but I managed to get at them.

Replace all the O rings and crush washers holding the pump to the back of the front cover.
I was given a hint to us Crisco shortening for lubing and holding O rings in place, it is a vegetable base and wont harm the rubber o rings.
If you use an exact o knife to open the dowel pins then they will stay in place.

Don't forget the lube the O rings when you install the water pump in the housing, be careful not to cut the O rings.

[Image: pump1_zpse80f8d75.jpg]

[Image: pump2_zpsd9d72a3f.jpg]

[Image: pump3_zps9b464701.jpg]

Keep in mind the new pumps have a metal impeller

[Image: pump4_zpsec7f7e4d.jpg]

[Image: pump5_zps341c3c1e.jpg]
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#1 11-13-2008, 07:00 PM,
Hi Everyone,

I'm also in the process of changing my water pump on my 84 Aspy. I kept losing water from my reservoir, but never did see any oil in the water. However, I noticed that last time I changed the oil, I had the level at the correct mark on the dipstick but after a hundred miles, or so, the oil level magically increased, and I hadn't added any oil.

When I drained the coolant there was no oil in it. But, there was a lot of water in the oil, instead of oil, It was a nasty looking emulsion. When I took off the transmission front cover it was full of goop. I guess it was an antifreeze/oil milkshake, nice and fluffy.

I got a Honda pump for 128 bucks and the trans cover/water pump gaskets and seals as a kit for 28 bucks so that doesn't seem too bad. I ordered the stat, hose and cap from NAPA for 45 bucks.

I'll do a compression and leak down check to be sure the head gaskets aren't leaking. That's what I originally set out to do, but, when I found the water pump shaft was way loose, greater than 1/8" play, I figured the head gaskets were ok and water was getting into the oil sump via the bad water pump seal. Glad I caught it before I ruined the engine. Anyway, while I have the exhaust off, I'll go ahead and rebuild the starter.

One other thing, this must have been the original water pump as the impeller was plastic and was very brittle. The guy I purchased the bike from said it had 42k on it but I don't believe him now.

On startup I will put clean oil, filter and some marvel mystery in it, run for a few miles to clean all the water and goop out of the engine, then change the oil and filter, run a few miles and keep an eye on the oil level. Hopefully I can dodge the head gasket bullet. But, if not, que sera, sera. The dude I bought the bike from on Ebay fleeced me, but overall, I think the bike is ok, even if I do have to do a little wrenching. It is a great riding bike.

Good luck with your water pump changing effort.

Jim(inSC)
#2 04-21-2009, 07:07 PM,
Head gasket isnt a big job but maybe you wont need to do it.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 04-21-2009, 10:01 PM,
Hi guys,
I've been away for a few months, busy working on my Ford F350... never ending story.
Anyway, my 84 Aspencade is weeping (no, wait, it's now puddling) oil out of the weeping hole under the water pump, so I guess it's time to pay the piper (stealer) again.
How big of a job is it, in hours, more or less?
Thanks,
Dan
#4 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM,
Hey Tricky, your photos don't come up on my puter, any way to get a look at them elsewhere. I'm going to replace my water pump here shortly and I would like to get as much input as possible. It doesn't take a lot to derail my little bitty brain sometimes.
#5 01-31-2010, 05:28 PM,
Anyone have a clue as to where I can pick up a shift switch? Honda part # 35759-MG9-771. Honda has discontinued this part. Thanks!

Bob **==

Update: Found one at the Bike Grave Yard

Bob **==
1984 Aspencade
#6 06-29-2011, 01:21 PM,
Best I recall it was about a two hour job for me. I think I could have done it faster second time around.
#7 06-29-2011, 02:05 PM,