Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Idle Question
I have a 84 Interstate, I ride it very little and now when I start it the choke needs to be slightly engaged to keep it running. I have added fresh gas, changed the fuel filter and drained the float bowls. This didn't change the problem. I removed the carbs and cleaned the jets and the passages with carb cleaner and compressed air.No change, should I do the drill out of the idle jets? what else should I check?
Thanks
Barry
SCRC #156
Sterling, Va 20164
#1 10-17-2008, 11:08 AM,
This may (or may not) help, but I had a similar problem. When I got mine it had been sitting for a few months and ran very rough, did not idle well, etc. After I had almost decided to rebuild everything, someone suggested a treatment of MMO. I added the prescribed amount to the fuel and went for a ride. Lot's of popping, sputtering, etc. for about 30-35 miles. Then suddenly, as if someone had thrown a switch the darn thing just smoothed out, settled down and started to run properly. That was about 5 years back. Now I add some to about every 4th or 5th tank and it's run very well since.

Worked for me, may not work for you, but I'd say it's worth a try.
#2 10-17-2008, 11:31 AM,
I have not tried the marvel mystery oil, I have added yamaha carb cleaner, sea foam, power tune, all before I removed the carbs. I will pick up some of the oil tonight.I will drill out the carbs as well.
Thanks
Barry
#3 10-17-2008, 03:09 PM,
I added the MMO it seems to run alittle better. Also is is popping /backfiring up though the carbs . I think it is probably all out of sync as well. I am going to drill out the idle screw.
Barry
#4 10-19-2008, 03:56 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Idle acceleration question. William_86 8 891 12-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Last Post: admin