Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust leaks getting on my nerves!
OK here we go, seems that the 1200 has developed an exhaust leak at the joint where it connects to the header. I installed new gaskets at the heads but when I had the tire off I disconnected the rear postion at the header. I used a high heat material that will take more punishment than an exhaust will provide but it seems that it just won't seal off is there a special gasket or trick to sealing off at this area?

TN
Joe
1989 GL1500
#1 03-08-2007, 08:28 PM,
There is a special graphite over screen gasket at this joint TN. This area is also very prone to rust. Order a couple of gaskets then remove the muffler so that you can inspect the joint. Spread the sections on the muffler ends before you slide the muffler over the new gaskets. If all the metal is good you should be able to eliminate the leak, but, remember that there are built in leaks at the drain holes on each side of the muffler.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 03-10-2007, 08:17 PM,
Thanks Vic, got the gaskets coming from Service Honda. When I had the exhaust off the metal seemed to be in very good shape. I'll drop it and install the new gaskets when they get here. The system on my bike is welded together every where but here which is good, I don't know if someone has replaced it or if the LTD & SEI had a different system than the regular 1200s, I was wondering because I have read post where the exhaust stops under the saddle bags and is joined, mine is welded and chromed over and extends to the rear of the bags and has a wide oval exhaust flange.

I like the one you have on yours and if I can find a yard with some stainless I may make one similar for mine.

Thanks for the info.

TN
Joe
1989 GL1500
#3 03-10-2007, 09:30 PM,
The LTD/SEi have squarish exhaust extensions, not round like the other 1200's and all the ones I've seen extend to the rear of the saddle bags.

If you do build some extensions like mine make sure you obtain 4" I.D. pipe oterwise you will have a hard time getting them.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 03-11-2007, 10:21 AM,