Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Radio switch and tape deck volume issues
I have a question if anyone can help. My radio is stuck on one station (A gangster rap station) the handle bar switch is shot so can't change the station. I've been looking for a replacement switch but haven't had much luck (Used, new is expensive). Is there another way to change the station or wire in a different switch?

Also, my tape deck works and I bought a cassette attachment for my ipod but for some reason the tape deck plays at a very low volume...Not loud enough to even hear it in the helment when riding. But the radio plays loud and clear...Just on a gangster rap station.

Any ideas? Thanks!!
#1 09-19-2008, 01:05 PM,
Could be the tape heads need cleaning. You can get a cleaning tape, or maybe reach in with a swab with alcohol. I have maybe used my tape deck about 10 hrs in 23 years Smile I use an mp3 player with an fm modulator but seeing that you cant change stations it would make that a little difficult Sad
Have you had the switch apart? it might be just contacts need cleaning, I spray contact cleaner inside the switches on occasion.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 09-19-2008, 04:28 PM,
When riding with a group, a CB is invaluable. It makes the passing on of information from the leader to anyone in the group who has a CB and to the tail gunner who is bringing up the rear.
For lane changes on major highways, the leader can ask for the tail gunner to block the second lane so that the rest of the group can access the lane safely without some impatient cager running them down.
If your a solo rider then the CB can become an important tool for understanding the traffic around you from just listening to the truckers conversations. They also get a heads up when you ride up along side while talking to them and they realize they are talking to someone on a motorcycle. Smile
I am riding down to Georgia this weekend with someone who doesnt have a CB.. it is going to be different after 23 years of chatting. I guess we shall have to revert to shouting while at stop lights etc etc Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 09-19-2008, 07:08 PM,
tricky Wrote:Could be the tape heads need cleaning. You can get a cleaning tape, or maybe reach in with a swab with alcohol. I have maybe used my tape deck about 10 hrs in 23 years Smile I use an mp3 player with an fm modulator but seeing that you cant change stations it would make that a little difficult Sad
Have you had the switch apart? it might be just contacts need cleaning, I spray contact cleaner inside the switches on occasion.

I cleaned the tape heads. I even took ot apart so I could really get in there and get 24 years worth of dirt out. I use a professional heaqd cleaner and q tip with alcohol, but still no difference.

Took the switch apart too. Cleaned with contact cleaner, but you can tell the switch is just bad by the way it moves from side to side.
#4 09-19-2008, 07:34 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:Bev, I know this sounds silly but I must ask anyway. You know you can change station @ the stereo itself? When I was sitting my drive, I set up all the presets and as I was just sitting didn't use H/B tuner. You are lucky as the is also something wrong with my CB & Intercom system as well as helmet speakers. Push switch for H/S and I just get a high whistle. I have downloaded a schematic for this system and next year I may get around to looking @ it. I don't give a tinkle about CB as I probably never use it. But I would like to be able to use the intercom as my partner has finally found the joy in Baby. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

All of the presets are set to the same station, so they do me no good. Gangster rap and a Goldwing is like Ketchup on ice cream...Hard to stomach!
#5 09-19-2008, 07:36 PM,
tricky Wrote:When riding with a group, a CB is invaluable. It makes the passing on of information from the leader to anyone in the group who has a CB and to the tail gunner who is bringing up the rear.
For lane changes on major highways, the leader can ask for the tail gunner to block the second lane so that the rest of the group can access the lane safely without some impatient cager running them down.
If your a solo rider then the CB can become an important tool for understanding the traffic around you from just listening to the truckers conversations. They also get a heads up when you ride up along side while talking to them and they realize they are talking to someone on a motorcycle. Smile
I am riding down to Georgia this weekend with someone who doesnt have a CB.. it is going to be different after 23 years of chatting. I guess we shall have to revert to shouting while at stop lights etc etc Smile

I can use the intercom to talk with my passanger (When I have a passanger) but I don't have a CB installed on the bike. It's on my list though if I can find one.
#6 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM,
Beverly Wrote:I have a question if anyone can help. My radio is stuck on one station (A gangster rap station) the handle bar switch is shot so can't change the station. I've been looking for a replacement switch but haven't had much luck (Used, new is expensive). Is there another way to change the station or wire in a different switch?

Also, my tape deck works and I bought a cassette attachment for my ipod but for some reason the tape deck plays at a very low volume...Not loud enough to even hear it in the helment when riding. But the radio plays loud and clear...Just on a gangster rap station.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

On your tape deck, I use the same set up and with a generic ipod I got the low volume but with Apple Nano it plays right. Just a thought. I also had a loose connector when I had the fairing off looking for a electrical gremlin, but I pluged it in and radio plays perfect. I have not been able to check the cassette adapter because the cassette deck has since quit, so I bought an FM transmitter for the ipod. Works great. Use the local setting on the radio instead of DX.
#7 09-20-2008, 05:56 AM,
bob NE In. Wrote:Easy fix. Get an adapter and a $100 stereo from Best Buy. I can play cds or use the .mp3s player with the front input jack,reception is much better too. I can even use the remote control by mounting it on the gas tank lid with velcro. Stick some velcro across the top and bottom of the adapter housing and make a rectangular cover out of some vinyl upholstery material to keep out the rain.There are cheap stand alone intercoms out there that don't need to be plugged into the bike.

Thanks for your suggestion, but my hope would be to replace the handlebar switch and figure out the volume problem with the tape deck instead of buying a new radio/CD player and and after market intercom system.

My intercom works great, and the radio works great other than being stuck on one station. There has to be an easy explaination for the volume issue with the tape deck because it works it's just has no volume.
#8 09-20-2008, 01:11 PM,
Quote:On your tape deck, I use the same set up and with a generic ipod I got the low volume but with Apple Nano it plays right. Just a thought. I also had a loose connector when I had the fairing off looking for a electrical gremlin, but I pluged it in and radio plays perfect. I have not been able to check the cassette adapter because the cassette deck has since quit, so I bought an FM transmitter for the ipod. Works great. Use the local setting on the radio instead of DX.

It could be a loose wire somewhere...Tracing it is a pain though...Don't you have to remove the faring?

I'm tried my iphone, a Ipod shuffle, and playing a cassette take through the tape deck...It's all the same low volume for everything.
#9 09-20-2008, 01:15 PM,
Beverly Wrote:
Quote:On your tape deck, I use the same set up and with a generic ipod I got the low volume but with Apple Nano it plays right. Just a thought. I also had a loose connector when I had the fairing off looking for a electrical gremlin, but I pluged it in and radio plays perfect. I have not been able to check the cassette adapter because the cassette deck has since quit, so I bought an FM transmitter for the ipod. Works great. Use the local setting on the radio instead of DX.

It could be a loose wire somewhere...Tracing it is a pain though...Don't you have to remove the faring?

I'm tried my iphone, a Ipod shuffle, and playing a cassette take through the tape deck...It's all the same low volume for everything.

You can remove the false tank and possibly get to some of the connections that are forward and slightly lower than the reg/rec. Thats where my loose connector was. Before I found it I had to have the volume nearly wide open and sometimes a bump in the road would make it get so loud that it became distorted. There are three wire blocks on the left inside of fairing that you may can get a hand on and make sure that are tight. Taking them out is a chore because of the tight spot but may be worth it to clean with contact cleaner and grease with di-electric grease. Just some thoughts. Electrical gremlins are a pain, I have one in may running lights, thats why fairing, bags, trunk, false tank all came off and thats when I found the loose connector that fixed the radio gremlins. Still looking for intermitent lighting problem. Good luck.

Kevin
#10 09-20-2008, 02:21 PM,
bob NE In. Wrote:I had the same problem with the tape deck...no volume. That's why I just bought a decent radio.

What did you do for wiring in aftermarket radio? Splice into harness or was there an adapter available? Thanks
Kevin
#11 09-20-2008, 02:38 PM,
Beverly,

Do you have an Aspencade or an interstate?
If it's an Aspencade maybe your mute button is activated on the handle bar control. That happened on mine and I had some volume but it was very low.
#12 09-20-2008, 05:39 PM,
g-townram Wrote:Beverly,

Do you have an Aspencade or an interstate?
If it's an Aspencade maybe your mute button is activated on the handle bar control. That happened on mine and I had some volume but it was very low.

It's an Aspencade. The mute button also works...It was one of the first things I checked, so that isn't the problem. I wish it was that easy though!
#13 09-20-2008, 06:54 PM,
Hi Beverly...I've been following this post because I'm thinking about the Ipod/cassette setup as well. Maybe I'm mising it somewhere in your posts, but does your tape player actually play "tapes" at the correct volume? :?
Does your tuner mount horizontally or vertically? BTW...what year is your Aspencade?
#14 09-20-2008, 08:10 PM,
glhonda Wrote:Hi Beverly...I've been following this post because I'm thinking about the Ipod/cassette setup as well. Maybe I'm mising it somewhere in your posts, but does your tape player actually play "tapes" at the correct volume? :?
Does your tuner mount horizontally or vertically? BTW...what year is your Aspencade?

The tape player plays tapes at the same volume as it does the ipod/iphone. Tapes play but at the same low volume.

The tuner switch in the top part of a fitted stack of 3 switches on the left side handlebar which includes blinker switch. So vertically.

1984 Aspencade. I saw switches from a 1986 on ebay, but not sure if they are interchangable...86 is panisonic, 84 is clariton I think.
#15 09-20-2008, 10:11 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1984 Aspencade radio volume Cornhusker Joe 0 1,080 12-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Cornhusker Joe
  Intermittant Radio Volume redglbx 2 2,368 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Auto volume/Tone switch ship 2 2,032 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Last Post: ship
  radio issues.... Dan1448 13 4,143 06-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Dan1448
  Cassette deck workaround ScottGO 2 1,394 09-19-2011, 03:55 AM