Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
Lugging at start
I just thought it was normal. When I start out from a stop, my '84 Aspencade will sometimes sound like it is slightly lugging, kind of like starting in third. It is worse when I am pulling a trailer or hauling a passenger. I am 210lbs. I was looking at a friends 1500 and talking about my 1200. He used to have one and I told him about my "lugging". He said he had never noticed it on his, took mine for a ride and said it did feel a little "soft" from the line. He said maybe a vacuum leak or that the carbs should be rebuilt. It runs great as soon as it is rolling and has no bogging anytime. Just a slight lugging. I usually feather the clutch when I have a load. I have had the carbs synched, and have new iridium plugs. Any ideas?
#1 09-15-2008, 03:48 PM,
i would first try some sea foam.
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#2 09-15-2008, 04:10 PM,
Mine does not lug off the line at all, it di a little but went away after I synced my carbs.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 09-15-2008, 04:27 PM,
You may have bad resistor caps or plug wires/coils breaking down. Find a hill and under low rpm's (high spark demand condition) see if you can duplicate your complaint. When you had the carbs sync'd, did you adjust the mixture screws?
#4 09-15-2008, 04:32 PM,
I had the local Honda dealer synch the carbs and I don't know if they adjusted the mixture screws. I suppose I could replace the plug wires. Is the dealer the best place to purchase them? I have not tried sea foam but have had an increase in performance by using Techron.
#5 09-15-2008, 09:23 PM,
I've had 2 1200's and no bogging from either one.Sounds like carbs to me.Bad plugs or wires would show up when cruising with a very slight load .Would be more jerky than just boggy.You did say it ran fine after you get it going .
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#6 09-16-2008, 05:00 PM,
Yes, it runs super, very smooth. Idles perfectly at 1000. Just a slight lugging at start.
#7 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM,
Bob;

Perhaps you could give me a slightly longer-winded description of "lugging", since I'm not sure what you mean.
Is it unable to pull untill you get some revs happening, or is it more of a sound, such as when you let the revs drop too low in any other gear? My 84 I deffinately has that "rattling in the gearbox" sound and feel, if the rev's are below two grand and I apply any substantial amount of throttle. I also get that briefly when I pull away from a stop unless I give it plenty of revs, and slip the clutch. These bikes are pretty "long legged" and have a fairly tall first gear. Normally I just take it easy till the clutch is engaged and the revs come up to 2500 or so, and then turn up the wick and "give 'er". If I need to boogie I bring up the revs, slip the clutch and go.
Perhaps you need to test your vacuum advance?
Tim Johnson
1984 GL1200I
1975 GL1000
2002 GasGas trials.
1956 Norton Dominator
#8 09-18-2008, 10:03 AM,
Carburetor slide diaphragm. 4 of them. 1 under each carb cap. Chances are they have never been replaced. It is rubber and they do tear, trypically near the point where they "seat" in the carb. I had this similar problem with take off feeling sluggish and having to drop to 4th or 3rd to go up grades.

It would idle great, rev fine at neutral. But under load just kind of that sound like taking off in 3rd unless you really gave it some gas.

They are 40 bucks each at Saber Cycle. I just replaced all 4 with each having a tear from 1/8" to 1/4"...

If the bike did not weigh 750 I swear it would do a wheelie now.... Good luck.
#9 10-04-2009, 06:42 PM,