Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Carb Cleaning
Hi all.
My 89 GL1500 was suffering from hesitation problems at low speeds.
I had replaced air and fuel filters, changed to iridium plugs, fitted Torquemonster pipes and also a 4deg trigger wheel.
Whilst a dramatic improvement on performance and economy achieved I still had hesitation problem Sad .

I was contemplating syncing the carbs but researched several forums and spoke with some very experienced wing riders here in NZ.
Was advised to try the following.
Added 1/2 can of Wynns Diesel Injector cleaner to a tank full of gas. (dont use more than 1/2 can)
Took bike for a run of about 50km's varying speeds and revs. Hard acceleration in 2-3-and 4th gears, pulling away in 5th from very low revs.

After about 10ks I noticed bike was running smother, throttle response was much crisper and by end of run hesitation problem was gone Big Grin Big Grin

Advised that the diesel cleaner is far better at removing varnish build up on sliders and getting gunk out of jets than petrol equiverlant.

Have now done about another 100k's and bike is so much better.

There are a lot of people on many forums who suggest Seafoam for this purpose but there appears to be varying results. This product is not available here in NZ.

Two riders in USA that I suggested this option to have tried it and it has also fixed their problem.

I am not saying that it is a magical cure but for the sake of about $10nz I am impressed Big Grin Big Grin

Have also found starting is instant and little or no choke required.from cold.
#1 08-25-2008, 01:42 PM,
I don't know if Chevron's Techron is available where you are, but I use it here in the states and it worked wonders for my 84 1200. I use one half bottle per tank and try to run it on a long trip so it doesn't sit on the seals too long. I get it at Walmart for about $6.00/bottle. Works wonders for cars/trucks too.
#2 08-25-2008, 02:02 PM,
There are a lot of products mentioned on these forums that we do not get here in NZ.
Wynns was one of the first to be imported and I have used their products for over 30 years with great success.

As an aside, if you are looking for a spray on grease and a rust inhibitor might I suggest Wurth HHS200 and Rost-off. These are from a German company that I worked for here in NZ. I have yet to come across any product that comes close to matching the results of these two products.
Although I no longer work for them I have no hesitation in recommending their products.
Their brake cleaner is also a very superior product to anything else I have tried.
CRC or WD40 are like water in comparision.
#3 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carb Cleaning Update ( clean from the inside) 1 1,235 08-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Guest
  Carb Cleaning??? Bluesman614 3 1,665 10-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Bluesman614