Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Hello from Pa dimming lights
Hello Big Grin I just wanted to say this is such a great site and many thanks to all that make this what it is!!!!!

I recently bought an 1984 goldwing aspy and I am in love. When my wife first saw it she thought it was ugly but then I took her on a ride, now I can't keep her off it. My last street bike was a GSXR 750 and we thought it was great for about 25 miles then you best be looking for someplace to stop and stretch. WOW what fun ?? I have put about 1300 miles since buying it last month with no real problems. The only thing that has me a little concerned is when I put on the brakes my headlight seems to dim. I have soldered the stator wires together and checked the charging system, looked for bad wires in the trunk, dioelectrode greased the conections and it seem to charge to 13.9 volts above idle, a little low but should still be OK right? This bike has been very well taken care of and I received most of the repair slips with it. Did not find a stator slip but the stator plug looks a lot newer than the plug on the wire harness side (so I think it is newer). Should I be looking for a bad ground, is this a common problem, would led lights on the brake system make the difference I am looking for?

I am looking forward to any post and hope I can help some of you. I have well over 10 years motorcycle wrenching experience and have been certified in all makes of Polaris. I also worked and built Harley Davidson, and thats why I own a honda. Because when I turn the key I just want to ride Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin !!
Many thanks in advanced
Keith
#1 08-19-2008, 04:15 PM,
Keith,
I wouldn't think that's a problem really. At a stop you're way down on rpms, not making much electricity and them you put the load of the brake lights on the system it will draw it down enough to dim the lights. Nothing that can't be recharged after you start moving again.

Jack
#2 08-19-2008, 05:36 PM,
you soldered the three yellow wires from the stator together???

the 13.9 volts sound normal to me Smile
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#3 08-19-2008, 05:54 PM,
Your problem might be caused by a ground problem but the 1st place i would check would be the battery terminal connections. U also have to realize that if you aren't running LED's that you have a load more load on the system when the brakes are applied. I would also check the state
of your battery just because your system is putting out 14-14.5 volts does not mean that everything is ok, just that the electrical system is working properly...try running another ground..back to the battery directly to see if this makes a difference....if it does u know that u probablty have a connector somewhere thats needs a cleaning .....
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 09-09-2008, 09:43 PM,
Welcome to the Site!!

One other thing to check is the connector at the regulator. The stator wires will burn there also!
1985 Limited Edition
#5 09-09-2008, 10:14 PM,
Hello thanks for the info, I did check the connection at the regulator and seems to be good. Checked the ground to battery with an ohm meter and seemed good but will still try a second ground wire can't hurt. I also put in to new led lights and seems to have lessen the problem still noticeable but livable. I would dig a little deeper into the problem but any time I get I just end up riding!!! Big Grin Planning on complete maintenance as soon as snow flies.

great site many thanks!!!!

Keep the shinny side up :lol: :lol: :lol:
#6 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM,
at 3000 with everything on u should be at 14.3 to 14.9 at least if not your battery may not be getting properly recharged....next day w/o doing anything...no charging or anything what is the battery voltage? check for proper battery acid level also
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM,
It is normal to have the lights dim with the brake lights on and at idle speed... Mine has done this since I got it... I have cleaned and lubed every wiring plug and ground connections, replaced the battery, replaced the stator wires with heavier gauge, etc... If the Idle speed is brought up to around 1300 to 1400 RPM does the light brighten back up.???.. If so then you should be OK... I have found adding a digital onboard volt meter to be very handy and a confidence builder too...

Here's the one I got ( the one for the 1500 works fine on the 1200's)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.vencowings.com/voltmeter_goldwing.html">http://www.vencowings.com/voltmeter_goldwing.html</a><!-- m -->
Ed Zogg
#8 12-22-2008, 11:57 AM,