Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Auto volume control?
No it doesnt sound like it is working.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#16 03-11-2007, 11:20 AM,
Thanks for the offer fysty-1 but I don't know what I would do with the wiring diagrams. It's just not my kind of thing and I wouldn't really know what I was looking for when I looked at them.

Today I finally got the time and some sunshine so I'm going to go out and uncover the wing and see if I can take the auto vol. out of the bike and take it apart and see if anything jumps out at me and says this is whats wrong. Then I'll do some cleaning of the auto vol. switches.

I got a can of electrical cleaner from radio shack and we'll see what happens. If it still don't work afterwards than I'm still not going to miss it sense it has never worked before but I would like to have it working. Oh well, we'll see what happens.
#17 04-14-2007, 07:17 AM,
longhaireddwb Wrote:Thanks for the offer fysty-1 but I don't know what I would do with the wiring diagrams. It's just not my kind of thing and I wouldn't really know what I was looking for when I looked at them.

Today I finally got the time and some sunshine so I'm going to go out and uncover the wing and see if I can take the auto vol. out of the bike and take it apart and see if anything jumps out at me and says this is whats wrong. Then I'll do some cleaning of the auto vol. switches.

I got a can of electrical cleaner from radio shack and we'll see what happens. If it still don't work afterwards than I'm still not going to miss it sense it has never worked before but I would like to have it working. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

Well... I may be a bit late with my input but, I as having the same problem with mine when I first got it. shortly after I got a head set and started using that and just forgot about trying to fix it. later on when I decided to use the spray contact cleaner too see if that would make a difference's... I was still using my headset and it still didn't work. well... after reading this thread, I found out it only works on the speakers and not with the headset! how strange is that? like if you use a headset you don't need the auto volume? go figure. :cry:
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#18 06-16-2007, 06:36 PM,
The intercom has a sort of built in voice activated muting system so that if you have a chat with the passenger whilst listening to the radio then the radio volume will reduce while your talking hence the problem with wind noise, it can reduce the radio volume through the headset.
This system doesnt affect the volume through the speakers. There are some limitations I guess, I think for a motorcycle that is over 20 years old the fact that it still works as good as it does is quite something.
Having a CB while riding, enabling one to chat with riding buddies certainly makes the day a little more fun, except when they bitch about going down the gravel roads Smile

#19 06-16-2007, 07:05 PM,
Well, I've tried everything I can think of to correct this problem and no luck! It never worked before so I'm not going to miss it. And now that I bought a 1998 GL1500 SE I guess I don't need to worry about it any more. I'm selling the 1200 with cargo trailer and I'll just tell the buyer (when I get one) about the problem. I'm guessing this auto volume/Tone will need replaced.

Thanks for all your help on this guys!
Jerry... 8)
#20 06-17-2007, 06:07 AM,
fysty-1 Wrote:Tricky; Mine is an 85 and auto volume works great on speakers. Good info about headsets which I have not as yet got. I have a ?? for you if you know. I would like to up grade to a modern stereo and I know that Sierra makes an adapter for these Panisonics. I also now know that the A/V is a separate system hidden under the faux tank. But will the A/V still control the volume on the speakers if a modern unit is installed? :? :? :?

If you have the Panasonic typeIII system in your bike why would you want to replace it with any thing else? You can add a cd/mp3 player using a modulator. The whole system is integrated so I don't think you would be able to utilize the auto volume or muting system without going into the guts of the newer radio.
Why would you want to put in something newer but maybe I am not understanding your idea?

#21 06-17-2007, 06:37 AM,
fysty-1 Wrote:Tricky; Mine is an 85 and auto volume works great on speakers. Good info about headsets which I have not as yet got. I have a ?? for you if you know. I would like to up grade to a modern stereo and I know that Sierra makes an adapter for these Panisonics. I also now know that the A/V is a separate system hidden under the faux tank. But will the A/V still control the volume on the speakers if a modern unit is installed? :? :? :?

Hey Angela,[Image: wavey_new.gif]
("hey" is Floridian for "Hi") I'm a little confused about your comment regarding the location of the A/V on your bike. I was having trouble with mine and took it out to check it over and clean it. I took a couple shots of it that I'm posting below so I'm sure we are all on the same page. this is what you are referring too right? mounted under the left fairing pocket.

[Image: new097a.jpg]
mounted on top of CB but has nothing to do with CB.
[Image: new096a.jpg]

this is what the unit it self looks like
[Image: new099a.jpg]

I'm also curious about the adapter from Sierra, if for some reason you want to change radios (you would loose your intercom) what other radio would fit in the fairing space allowed? I started to look into putting my Alpine unit in my bike when I first got it because I wanted the CD, mp3 player but, I discovered the depth (front to back) wasn't going to let me install it. thats when I put in the 12 disk changer.
John
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#22 06-17-2007, 09:00 AM,
This is the one I use:

[Image: mod1.jpg]

[Image: mod2.jpg]

The last one I bought cost me $20CAD you should be able to find something similar maybe better quality.

This one I use a 2gig memory stick. It transmits on several FM frequencies you tune your radio to a frequency it uses and one that isnt used in your area.

There are better one that cost more. They usually all have a mini stereo input so you could use an MP3 player, Ipod or xm radio.

Why bother with the problems of changing the radio when you can do this or something like it.

I fastened a duel cig power outlet in the left pocket, one I use for my GPS the other for the mem stick.

This one is a little akward to use while riding but once it is set up you can travel many miles without bothering with it. I have 3 radio presets set to 3 of the frequencies so that if I get into an area where one is used for local radio I just change the modulator to another station.

I have several hours on a full 2gig mem stick, there is no bouncing problems that you might get with a cd but if you had a multi cd player you could plug it into that.

Sometimes my riding buddy sets his radio to the same frequency and his bike picks up the signal providing he is close enough, Normally I dont play the kind of music he likes though Smile

#23 06-17-2007, 04:11 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:I'm sorry for any confusion. My type III works great. I just wanted a CD player. What is a Modulator you mentioned Tricky?
Hey yerself Myplace. Yeh that is what I have and there is a Sierra adapter that allows the newer units to mount. It is my understanding that you have to make extra room behind headlight for the deeper units. I'd just be happy with a CD player Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

angela check out my post under lighting and electrical titled
installing a relay switch for all your lighting needs
you can get an idea of how I did my CD changer, it might fill your needs. I have 120 hrs. of non stop music with out hearing the same song twice. it comes with its own modulator and works something like Tricky's set up.
John
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#24 06-18-2007, 11:26 AM,
Very smart setup, I like it.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#25 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM,