Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Auto volume control?
Should this auto volume control work when the radio is in the tape player mode or the am/fm mode or always?
I'm going to be checking it out to see if it works after I get the stereo and speed sensor back on the bike this Sunday. I just wanted to be sure when its should kick in.

Also, what speed do you have to get to for it to start working?
#1 03-03-2007, 06:13 AM,
It seems to me that the volume change was a gradual change not stepped, so it was a bit harder to tell. If you bike has the switch to change the level put it at the extreems. Should help you git it figured out.
#2 03-03-2007, 06:54 AM,
Thanks for the info. I'll check into it tomorrow.
#3 03-03-2007, 04:14 PM,
The auto volume control works on the external amp so anything going through that should be controlled. It is a gradual increase and decrease which can also be affected by the knob over the CB unit.
If the knob was at maximum then the auto control will give a maximum if the knob is set at half then the amplification is reduced.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 03-03-2007, 05:01 PM,
Thanks Tricky. So I figure, if I have the bike on the center stand and put the bike in gear and run up the speed on it, (carefully of course) I should hear a change in the volume. I'll be sure to turn the volume control all the way up. Thanks again for your help.
#5 03-03-2007, 07:58 PM,
No you would hear no difference, the front wheel would not be turning when it is on the center stand which is where the control is mounted.

#6 03-04-2007, 06:10 AM,
Thats right! I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I'll just have to try it on the road. Thanks for straightening me out Tricky. I guess I was having a brain fart!
#7 03-04-2007, 07:33 AM,
Silly cars, I want to know how fast I'm going, now how fast my tires are slipping! That is one thing I've never understood about cars and trucks.

Thanks for this topic, Now I know what I wanted to know, if I put in a different stero in my wing I'll run it though the stock amp, and get the volume control.
#8 03-04-2007, 08:43 AM,
I took the bike for a ride after getting the radio in and speedo sensor changed and tested the auto volume. I didn't notice any difference. I also got it up to 60mph and turned the knob all the way down and there was no difference. Turned it all the way up and still no difference.

Shouldn't it have changed the volume when I turned the knob while doing 60mph?

Is there a way to repair this item or do I just have to replace it? If I can't fix it then I'll just go without. I've never had it work before so I guess I wont miss it.

Anyone, Tricky?
#9 03-10-2007, 05:01 PM,
It is a subtle change but yes you should have heard a slight difference.

Just for a trial, set you radio a comfortable listening volume while parked at the kerb with the engine running.

Set the volume control knob at a central point.

Drive the bike at 60-70 mph, can you still hear it comfortably? (within reason) (Yes).... it's working

(no I had to manually turn the volume control knob up on the radio).... It's not working.

That is one of the problems I had using an auto radio in an interstate I had one time, I was always having to adjust the volume, at riding speed it was too quiet then when I stopped it was far to loud.

#10 03-10-2007, 05:18 PM,
By any chance did you happen to have the radio on mute?

It's really hard to discern the difference in volume but if you listen carefully there is a difference. I have also found that if the tone control is dirty the auto volume did not work correctly for some reason. It probably wouldn't hurt to go around and clean each and every switch for the radio with electronic cleaner then spray eletronic lubricant on each control. I've revived several GL1200 radios by simply cleaning and lubricating the switches. The rotary switches on the radio have o-rings on the shafts so you must pull the cover off the radio to clean and lube the switches.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#11 03-10-2007, 07:19 PM,
Admin,
Just got the bike running (Andrea and Brad) with GL1200 LTD that sat for 10 years. I noticed that all of the radio and ride control switches were very slow to operate at first but finally came around. Should I take them apart and clean them with electrical contact cleaner?

admin Wrote:By any chance did you happen to have the radio on mute?

It's really hard to discern the difference in volume but if you listen carefully there is a difference. I have also found that if the tone control is dirty the auto volume did not work correctly for some reason. It probably wouldn't hurt to go around and clean each and every switch for the radio with electronic cleaner then spray eletronic lubricant on each control. I've revived several GL1200 radios by simply cleaning and lubricating the switches. The rotary switches on the radio have o-rings on the shafts so you must pull the cover off the radio to clean and lube the switches.
#12 03-10-2007, 07:26 PM,
I would highly recommend you do that, but make sure you lubricate also with electronics lubricant. If you just clean you take away any lubricant and then you create a high wear situation that will cost you money down the road.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#13 03-10-2007, 07:47 PM,
On my 1200SEI and my 1500 the auto volume kicks in around 45mph, on the speakers only, not on the headsets. It works on the radio and cassette. It isn't a gradual increase near as I can tell, the 45mph increase is pretty easy to detect, just run near 45 and vary your speed a bit up and down and you can notifce it. I don't really know if there are further increases in audio power, with increasing road and wind noise it's harder to tell if it steps up again. Both bikes had stock speakers and were easy to hear at all speeds.
Current: GL1100 GL1500 Previous: GL1200SEI
#14 03-10-2007, 10:50 PM,
I just got the radio back from Sierra so its working just fine now. Maybe what I need to do is clean the controls on the auto volume and tone controls. Hopefully that will make it better.

If I set the volume at a level where I can here it and then speed up to 60mph, I then can't here it at all. I know my ears arn't the best but I just don't think it is working like it should.

We'll see what happens after cleaning. Thanks.
#15 03-11-2007, 06:18 AM,