Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1984 Aspencade, California version
Hello,

I'm new to the site here and have a question. I recently purchased a CA Goldwing and rode it home to southern New Mexico. It had several problems, most of which I have now repaired. However, the vacuum line routing and all the gadgets attached to the vacuum lines are a bit overwhelming. The bike seems to run out fine, but the idle speed is high and there is a slight miss while idling. I'm suspecting a vacuum leak, or two. I capped the four vacuum ports on the engine and it idles fine, until it runs out of gas. Seems the fuel valve on the tank needs vacuum to stay open :mrgreen:

Has anyone every capped the vacuum ports on the engine on a CA 1200 series 'wing? I had a 1985 Aspy in 1990 that was not a CA bike and did not have all the vacuum lines and attached gadgets. Any possible damage to the engine if I just cap the vacuum ports on each side of the engine (and leave the fuel valve vacuum line connected)?

I really like this bike, otherwise. It is a great ride and has only 22k miles!

Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

NewMexRider
#1 08-19-2008, 06:16 AM,
Welcome to the site. I have an 84 but mine is not the CA edition so i'm sorry i can't help with the vacuum lines.
You did get my interest though. I currently live in Nashville, TN but i own a home in Deming, NM and will be moving there soon. Just wondered what area of Southern NM you're in. I'll be looking for some riding friends when I get there.
#2 08-19-2008, 11:47 AM,
Hi and welcome to the site! What is your elevation there? I know a lot of AZ and NM are high plains. It may be that you just need to lean out your mixture screws a bit. Try adjusting each screw in (clockwise) about 1/2 turn. For elevations above 6,000ft, you sould go a full turn.
I can't see the ports you're plugging off from here. Smile Post a couple of pictures of the hoses in question. I'm suspecting the ports you're closing off are atmospheric vents. By capping them, you're probably equalizing the pressure between the carb and the manifold, so fuel stops flowing. The '85 Calif evap (purge) system is relatively simple. Don't let the hoses throw you. I don't currently have a Ca model, so I have nothing to compare it to, but my '84 was, so it's not completely foreign either..
#3 08-19-2008, 06:21 PM,
the ca bike had all those silly smog related vacuum hoses only cause the smog nazis here said they had to be there. my 85LTD has all those lines and a couple i have never seen before. had an 84 interstate and it took about 5 hours to replace all those lines but it got rid of the vacuum leaks.as far as the idle you probably need to have it adjusted for your neck of the woods.ca bikes are normally set for sea level. be sure to replace them 1 at a time so you will not have problems later.
just my 3 cents worth :mrgreen:
#4 08-20-2008, 10:19 PM,