Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Lost all Power to 87 Aspy
last nite on way home lost all power on 87 Aspy no lights,dash,radio,cb,....
checked all fuses including the two dogbones.....dogbones were good along with all fuses...
had 12v to both sides of starter relay and dogbones....tore bike apart trying to get to the ignition
switch....problem ended up being the connection on the starter relay was loose just enough that power did not go to ignition switch and hence rest of fusebox.....if you have no power..
dogbones are good and fuses on right two have power with switch off or on and other fuses are good but not 12v with switch on CHECK HERE FIRST Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Now have to hope that someone outbids me on Ebay for a used ignition switch
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#1 08-15-2008, 03:03 PM,
You could solve that problem by linking the 30 amp fuse directly to the + side of the battery rather than the solenoid.

I have mine the same way, (wired to the short cable at the solenoid) maybe I should change IT too Smile

That sure could make a guy do a lot of head scratching.

If you did a test for voltage at the fuses in the left pocket and found none you would sure start looking closer at the wiring by the solenoid before trying to buy a new IGN switch Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 08-15-2008, 04:40 PM,
Once i found 12V at both dogbones this it what threw me the curve. AND if someone knows of a better way to get to the bolts to change out the switch i would like to know. Once i found
C60 on the side of fairing it was easy to check switch....having a spare ign switch wont be the worst thing....if you have a spare u usually never have that problem again..plus would be able to changeout on a trip as an emergency 8) :? :?
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#3 08-16-2008, 03:40 AM,
neoracer Wrote:last nite on way home lost all power on 87 Aspy no lights,dash,radio,cb,....
checked all fuses including the two dogbones.. :?: ...dogbones were good along with all fuses...
had 12v to both sides of starter relay and dogbones....tore bike apart trying to get to the ignition
switch....problem ended up being the connection on the starter relay was loose just enough that power did not go to ignition switch and hence rest of fusebox.....if you have no power..
dogbones are good and fuses on right two have power with switch off or on and other fuses are good but not 12v with switch on CHECK HERE FIRST Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Now have to hope that someone outbids me on Ebay for a used ignition switch

Hi,

I have an 87 aspencade myself, I didn't know there were 2 dogbone fuses on this model,besides the Starter solenoid ,Where is the 2nd one located??? :?:
#4 08-16-2008, 05:36 AM,
move the solenoid and behind it u will see a black box marked FUSE, inside is another 30 amp dogbone
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 08-16-2008, 06:41 AM,
neoracer Wrote:move the solenoid and behind it u will see a black box marked FUSE, inside is another 30 amp dogbone
Well I had already gone out and looked in the Honda manual and saw the fuse in the diagram, I cleaned off about 20 years of road dirt from the connection saw fusible on it and sure enough there was another dogbone.
Thanks for mentioning that ,I had never noticed that it was a dogbone fuse. That bit of info may have saved me and someone else a lot of hair pulling.
Big Grin Big Grin
#6 08-16-2008, 06:47 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  84 Aspy lost all accessories royando 4 2,090 09-16-2011, 02:22 AM
Last Post: RayJay1959
  BIKE LOST ALL ELECTRICAL POWER, DIFFERENT PROBLEM THAN USUAL admin 3 1,767 05-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky