Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fuel Injection Computer Boards
Hi EveryBody,

I own a 1985 GL1200 Interstate so fuel injection is not a problem for me. I was just looking to see if it was practical to modify my GL1200I have the FI from the LTD since they are flavors of the same base bike. One post talked about changing the FI back to carbs and a response to that post outlined all the differences that had to be accounted for to make the change. Sounded pretty daunting though ... I think I'll keep the carbs for a while longer. If I lived up north where my cycle was imprisoned during the winter months I might entertain such a project, but I live in Florida and get the itch to ride way too much to do without.

Long story short: I'm an Electronics Engineer ... in fact my specialty is embedded micro-controller design ( thats the technical term for what you call the fuel injection computer). It seems that everybody is worried about a source for these computers and the price. If somebody has a blown FI computer I would be willing to look at it to see if it was practical to reverse engineer it. I'll need a unit that I can remove the parts from in order to follow the copper traces to create a schematic (unless somebody has an accurate schematic handy). I would have to create and have fabricated a new printed circuit board, upgrade the electronics design to add a micro-controller (computer) to something that has been and will be around for sometime ... like and ARM7 Thumb processor, create the embedded software for the processor that replicates the existing code in functionality and finally secure a knowledgeable (victim) test subject who owns or has access too a LTD. I say knowledgeable because their evaluation of how the new board works would be invaluable as we tweaked the code to create the fuel injection responses required. Somebody who understands air / fuel mixtures at a variety of temperatures, loads, and elevations and how to take accurate measurements of same on a working bike would be ideal. I can only create software for a computer that anticipates an ideal bike in a perfect world ... adding software that models the aspects and anticipates how a "real" bike responds is the difficult thing to do. That requires real knowledge of the bikes fuel related operation.

Anyway if there is some interest let me know. I've always got a lot on my plate but this sounds interesting and it might also save the LTD owns money and anxiety.

I can't promise that this will come to anything but I would be willing to apply my skills to determine the feasibility .... its up to the LTD owners to determine if they are interested.

Wishing Everybody a great ride,

Billy
#1 08-02-2008, 09:26 AM,
Billy,

There is already a do-it-yourself EFI system for cars out there called Megasquirt (http://www.msefi.com/index.php, http://www.megamanual.com/index.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaSquirt). I think the plans for it are free - they sell the boards if you don't want to do it yourself. It probably would not take too much modification of what they have come up with to make it work with the existing LTD/SEi. I have a working spare computer for my LTD, so I am good for now, but I had a nice camcorder that quit because the capacitors inside it started leaking, so I imagine the same thing can happen to the engine computers. The engine computer is the one thing that we don't currently have a substitute for. If one of my computers were broken, I would give it to you to take apart, but since they both work, I want to hang onto them (I switch them in the wing every few months).

Thanks for your generous offer to help us LTD/SEi folks out. The problem will be finding a non-working engine computer to take apart. Although, with the Megasquirt you might be able to just build one to work with the sensors on the LTD/SEi. There is free PC software to configure the Megasquirt computer. I don't think the LTD/SEi is much different EFI-wise than most cars - with the exception that it does not have an oxygen sensor in the exhaust. The sensors all work off 5 volts and the air temp, water temp, MAP, and TPS sensors just vary the resistance so that that voltage varies from 0 to 5 volts.

I wish I did not have to w-o-r-k or I would try to help you out on it. I always wanted to play around with the Megasquirt and see if I could get it to work on my wing, but never had the time. I don't have any electronic knowledge, but I like to learn new things (plus, try to keep these old wings on the road Smile ).
Paul from Ohio
85 LTD
#2 08-02-2008, 09:06 PM,
Welcome to the Site!!

I agree with eveything that pauln said and I also believe we had one member that was talking about experimenting with the Megasquirt system,: Quakeholio I think it was??
1985 Limited Edition
#3 08-02-2008, 09:19 PM,
Hey Billy -I also agree with Paul N and Roscoep- I had looked at the megasquirt site before to contemplate a conversion for my 83GL650i Silverwing-- Yet I gave up because it was too much time.
Having said that- I sure wish we had a resource for the EFI for our wings casue it would be sad to lose the whole bike due to the silly computer. I don't have a spare but I would certainly donate one if I can find one.
Thanks for the offer!!!
Tim
Tim
currenlty own
Car, truck, and bicycle :)
formerly owned
86 SEI,83GL 650i,82GL 500i
450 nighthawk, german spec CB 650, KZ 100, YZ 125, CT90
http://catman01.webs.com/
#4 08-03-2008, 05:04 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  85 LTD Fuel Injection help needed. Roy Sharp 15 14,125 02-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Dave-85-LTD
  Fuel Injection ECU codes/ rough idle and slow throttle respo cal757 16 8,917 02-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Last Post: cal757
  need help with LTD fuel injection JerryH 2 2,323 08-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Calif Wingnut
  What is the advantag of fuel injection over carbs in gl 1200 4 2,807 03-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Last Post: admin
  I HAVE COMPUTER AND OTHER FUEL INJECTION PARTS IF YOU NEED admin 4 2,735 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Guest
  1986 fuel injection on a 1984 GL1200 ? 2 2,002 08-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Last Post: roscoepc