Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lights go dim with Brakes on
1984 Interstate.
Tonight on my way home she stalled on me at a corner.
When I apply the brakes or put on the signals the headlights almost go out at low rpm.
The get bright when I rev it up though.
The problem disappeared for a few minutes then came back.
Any ideas???
#1 06-30-2008, 07:45 PM,
check the tree yellow wires next to the battery, they come from the stator housing, and have a connector it usually melts, or start melting and your problem is a conmon symtom of that. you may also like to check your battery liquid level. and the fuse holder next to the solenoid

that dimming may be because the battery isn't fully charged, and the lights are running from the power that is generated by the bike.
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#2 06-30-2008, 07:50 PM,
I did the yellow wire repair when I got the bike.
I replaced the original 30amp fuse with a new inline one.
The battery is good.
I fired it up today and it ran terrible, sputtering, backfiring thru the carbs, various lights coming on in the dash, the tach was all over the place etc.
I wiggled the wires by the new 30 amp fuse and it cleared up.
So I think the problem is in that area but it will not do it again now.
Another interesting point I noticed was when it would stall out, it would start up great and run good for several seconds then it sputters again. It seems to me that once it is running it doesnt get the power from the battery, only the stator, and at low rpm's it stalls out.

There is a red/white wire going from the 30 amp fuse to the regulator. It there was a break in it would that cause the problem???
#3 07-09-2008, 01:15 PM,
did you connected the inline fuse to the battery or the solenoid?, try hooking it up to the battery.

running poor may be caused by a weak spark caused by a weak connection on the charging system
#4 07-09-2008, 01:29 PM,
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1004.htm">http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1004.htm</a><!-- m -->
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM,
I connected my fuse as described in the link.
#6 07-09-2008, 08:11 PM,
If you added any wire into that repair remove the tape and heat shrink and check the soldering connection. Any poor connections will eventually overheat and cause problems.

#7 07-10-2008, 04:35 AM,
It was acting up enough today that I was able to narrow it down to either a bad solder job :oops: or a crimp that is failing.
Hey Tricky I noticed you used a fuse with orange wire (24V) mine is red (12V) i think I am going to go with a heavier wire also. And I am going to go directly to the battery with it, one less connection to fail.
#8 07-10-2008, 09:38 AM,
the color of the wire does not have anything to do with its gauge rate.
#9 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM,
It might look orange in the picture, it is a Canadian Tire 30 amp 12V Fuse holder.

#10 07-10-2008, 04:59 PM,
We have some equipment with 24v systems and thats how they colour code the wires, so you dont mix up the power wires.
A few years ago I had a 24 to 12 converter installed, and accidentally the 24v was put to the 12v terminal and fried the convertor. Sad
So now when I see an orange wire I think 24v

Anyway i hope to get the repairs done tonight.
#11 07-10-2008, 05:27 PM,