Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastic Repair
Hello,

I thought I would pass this along

When I bought my GW the Speaker covers had broken tabs (they were missing broken off and gone) PO tried gluing the covers back on with some lousy glue that did not work.

When riding the covers would always want to fall off, almost lost one. After removing them and cleaning off all the old lousy glue off. I replaced the broken tabs.

I have used many times to fix plastics (building Model Airplanes) Shoo Goo (Walmart shoe dept) $3.00 per tube. I flip the cover over to the inside take a small piece of sand paper rough up area well to be glued so glue has a good area to adhere to then take a piece of Fuel hose, you can use almost any scrap piece (just make sure it's clean otherwise it wont stick) I used 3/8" fuel hose cut a section the width of the slot(that the broken tab used to fit into) that will hold the part, then continue to cut to about 1" long for a tab repair/replacement on a speaker cover.

You sanded/scuffed the area where you will be gluing the rubber strip to must be clean. Clean the hose and scuff the hose area to be glued.

I put some ShooGoo on the scuffed area apply the rubber strip so that 1/2 or so, is glued to the cover back and the other 1/2 of length is left loose so that it can later be bent at a 90deg angle to take the place of the old broken off/missing tab, Clamp, But make sure you put a rag on the out side to protect it from making a mark while being clamped. Leave clamped over night 24 hours.

The nice thing is the covers are still removeable like the factory ones, just a rubber hose tab instead of plastic.

This is similar to RTV Silicone Adhesive and can be cut off with a X-acto knive if you need to change repair.

This drys to a semi hard clear plastic. You would Not want this on a painted surface as I am not sure if it would take paint.
Great for inside or behind fixes.

Shoo goo can be used for allot of repair's on the plastic on our bikes if preped properly.

This saved me from having to locate new/used speaker covers, and once there in place you cannot tell that they have been repaired. They fit tite cause you can make your new tab as wide and as long as you want to, then after it's been glued and drys cut it to the right width and length.

I recently did a Poorboy Alternator replacement the lower center radiator plastic would no longer fit tite enough to hold on while riding, as it required both sides to clamp the center plastic together to hold the lower section.

Shoo Goo, and the right diameter of fuel line glued to the center section and leaving about 2" to over hang on both sides. The 2" of overhang is enough to hold it in place and you cant tell its there. And it still (pulls right out) easily removable.

Hope this helps someone

Westwing
#1 06-10-2008, 09:00 AM,
Thanks for the tip westwing, I have a prodject that process will do the trick. I will go to Wal-mart and pick some up.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 06-10-2008, 04:18 PM,
$3 a tube and works like that....NICE TIP! I'll try and remember to get some and try it out. Thanks.
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#3 06-10-2008, 04:49 PM,
Westwing, did you by any chance take a picture of the finished product. You know the old saying, "a picture is a worth a 1000 words". I have the same problem with my speaker covers except I'm using black duct tape to keep mine from departing the bike.
Wayne
97 GL1500 Lehman Trike
85 GL1200 A
Mount Hope Ont
#4 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM,
My schedule boarders from kaos to super kaotic,

But i will find time over the next couple of days to post some pictures of the finished product

Prep is everything when repairing/fixing to make sure that the Glue has a good clean skuffed up area to hold onto. I have used many, many types of glues in build model airplanes.

I use this same glue on my model Flying Wings. It holds them together, and I have crashed them into the ground at 150mph and they have survived I know it sounds impossible but it is true. it drys as a semi hard slightly rubbery plastic.

Ill try to get something post soon

Westwing
#5 07-02-2008, 03:42 PM,
Hey WGJ-46

I am unable to post the pictures of the plastic repair. I have not posted pictures here yet.

Maybe someone can help?

Westwing
#6 07-02-2008, 08:34 PM,
I use ABS glue and glass cloth to repair my mirror and my broken trunk hindge. works well
#7 10-27-2008, 04:59 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  abs plastic repair 16 4,536 01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Last Post: aspengold