Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WARNING ! Don't deal with CYCLECOLOR !
Warning! Don't deal with Cyclecolor - Total Marketing Concept.
Wanted to get some touchup paint for my 84 Aspy so I starting looking around on the net and tried the usual places like color brite (nothing older than 86) among others, when I came upon Cyclecolor.com. They said they could duplicate with no problem so I sent them the color name (premium beige metallic) and the color code from the bike. They emailed me back a picture of a 1985 aspy (sandy beige metallic) and asked if that was the color I was needing ? I replied no and sent them a color picture of mine. (This is the point I should have known I was headed down a bad road). 3 days later after not hearing back from them, I emailed them and they assured me there was no problem matching the paint and all I needed to do was Paypal them the money which I did. $18.95 for a small bottle of touchup, $12.95 for a small bottle of clear and $13.95 for shipping, Total of $45.85. Needless to say they sent me paint that matches the 85 (sandy beige metallic) but not my 84. When I contacted them, they won't even correct the mistake and state (color match is never guaranteed) unbelievable ! So spend your money elsewhere and if someone can use the 85 sandy beige paint let me know I'll send it to you for the postage. And :evil: [u]don't deal with CYCLECOLOR !! :evil:
#1 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM,
Sorry to hear about the bad service. I admit that all they would have to replace is the color pen you bought and that wouldn't cost them too much.

Just to let you know after the fact. If you call Color Rite (and I know they are expensive) they can match your paint on older bikes. They just don't show them on the web site. You might also want to try PPG paint at a local shop. The had a match for my 83 wineberry. Go to one that will call the factory to check your paint code.
#2 06-27-2008, 12:16 PM,
On the suggestion of a friend I work with, I went to a large auto body shop in the area and talked to the painter. he had me bring the bike by and used a color match gun to duplicate it. Even mixed up a small bottle for the trim. Cost : $30.00 under the table. Big Grin
#3 06-27-2008, 01:06 PM,
I emailed Colorrite, they didn't even give me the courtesy of a reply.
My suggestion is go local if at all possible it'll save you a lot of headaches.
#4 07-20-2008, 06:20 PM,
I know this is a late reply but if you want to match the color on anything older than 10 years your best bet is a local automotive paint shop. You can take them a cover or better yet ride the bike over to them and they usually have a hand held scanner that will tell them the formula. Make sure that you find a spot that the sun has not faded the paint. Even with the scanner there are colors that are two stage and require a tinted base color then a candy topcoat and matching would be almost impossible.
#5 10-22-2008, 12:46 PM,