Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Does the engine need to be removed to change the starter?
NO, not that I have ever seen on any GL1200!

A lot of heated arguments have arisen over this topic. Many guys have assumed that the GL1200 starter sprocket will fall off or fall down into the engine to be lost until the engine is removed. That is incorrect information and anyone who tells you so has not actually changed a GL1200 starter.

Click the following picture to substantiate how the starter spocket actually in place with the starter removed. The GL1200 has cast bosses on the rear engine cover which lodge the starter sprocket in place when the starter is removed for servicing.

[Image: 505097327gbkwNe_th.jpg]

[Image: startersprocket.jpg]
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#1 12-15-2006, 07:33 AM,
After all these years of leaning our bikes over to save the starter sprocket from falling into the engine we can finally relax and not worry about losing the sprocket on a GL1200 because that sprocket stays rock solid in place when the starter is removed.

#2 12-21-2006, 04:28 PM,
[Image: 505097592iCBzWK_th.jpg]

Double click on pic to enlarge it. Shows how the starter sprocket stays in place after the starter is removed due to the bosses that are cast and machined on the inside the rear engine cover.

The GL1000/1100's do not have these bosses so the chain and sprocket fall into the engine if the starter is removed with the bike vertical.

With the GL1200 you can comfortably leave the bike on the center stand and the sprocket will stay in place.

Another myth is that the engine must be removed to take out the starter. That myth is totally false.

#3 02-04-2007, 03:32 PM,
My understanding was once the sprocket or the chain left the sweet spot you had to pull the engine to get it back out. That might have only been a 1000/1100 thing, but I'll go with Vic on this.

Best of luck on the project.
#4 02-06-2007, 07:34 AM,
admin Wrote:[Image: 505097592iCBzWK_th.jpg]

Double click on pic to enlarge it. Shows how the starter sprocket stays in place after the starter is removed due to the bosses that are cast and machined on the inside the rear engine cover.

The GL1000/1100's do not have these bosses so the chain and sprocket fall into the engine if the starter is removed with the bike vertical.

With the GL1200 you can comfortably leave the bike on the center stand and the sprocket will stay in place.

Another myth is that the engine must be removed to take out the starter. That myth is totally false.
Well the Aspy CC idea didn't pan out so sold it some time ago to a fellow board member. Pulling the starter for a winter rebuild. Thanks for all the help and info. (11/7/7)

Best news I've heard in a while. Just got a rebuild kit for my '84 starter. Did NOT want to pull engine to rebuild starter. Assume the above info is correct on the '84 as sell, even though it is a different starter?

Also just got a cruise control from and '87 Aspencade that I'm gonna try and put on my '84 I. Any recommendations; other than 'don't attempt it'?
'84 GL1200 I & '04 VTX 1800 C
#5 02-22-2007, 03:43 PM,
That info regarding the starter is correct and I double checked on my own 84 Aspencade.

I'm not a big fan of auto pilot on a bike (maybe when I get old) so I can't help you much with the cruise but there are guys here who are into the cruise. All you need to do is wait patiently for them to show up and help you out.

#6 02-22-2007, 08:32 PM,
admin Wrote:That info regarding the starter is correct and I double checked on my own 84 Aspencade.

I'm not a big fan of auto pilot on a bike (maybe when I get old) so I can't help you much with the cruise but there are guys here who are into the cruise. All you need to do is wait patiently for them to show up and help you out.

Thanks for the info. Not in a rush on the cruise. Do prefer it over throttle lock as I do a fair amount of freeway riding. Hilly in Seattle. Surprised you wouldn't like it up north.
#7 02-23-2007, 12:46 PM,
It's so flat around here that I go to my local mall to experience the thrill of the speed bumps in the parking lot.

#8 02-23-2007, 02:15 PM,
Also just got a cruise control from and '87 Aspencade that I'm gonna try and put on my '84 I. Any recommendations; other than 'don't attempt it'?

Go for it. I can't see it not working so long as yours is an aspencade with electronic speed sensor.

If it's an Interstate you will need to introduce a magnetic speed sensor and I don't know if the cruise from an SE is capable of that.

Cruise is ideal for those who travel long distances at highway speeds not really for twisties but then thats why there is an OFF switch. Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#9 02-23-2007, 03:14 PM,
Tricky, did you get verything you need for the cruise off the 87?

The reason I ask is that I know someone who is parting out an 86 SEi and the parts should be the same.

Let me know if there's anything you need and I'll connect you.

#10 02-23-2007, 04:03 PM,
Mine is an '84 Interstate so no electronic speed sensor and don't want to attempt that change.
Guess this one will be sold. Very clean unit. Looks complete. 1st $100 US shipped in the US or actual postage world wide. PM me for photos if any interest. Or swap for on of the Audiovox css-100 units.
Oh well- the best laid plans.............
#11 02-27-2007, 12:30 AM,
I decided rather than introduce another variable into the installation I would stick with the controller that came with the cruise, it was just a passing thought, thanks anyway.
My present project now that the alternator is installed is adding a controller into my heated clothing and finding a place to put it. I have been emailing the person who came up with the idea, he rides his wing in 30F temps and it works fine for him.
What better things are there to do on a cold winters day in a heated garage Smile
I read in one of the posts that a person after installing the alternator, he put in a fuse panel in its place to power other accessories. I have spot lights, other lights, air horns, cruise etc and I thought that to be a good idea. I asked at a local auto parts dealer for a 4 spade fuse panel, he quoted a ridiculous price of $41 I found a 6 spade fuse panel at Princess Auto for $11 Using this idea makes the area around the battery terminals a lot neater if one has lots of accessories and safer too providing everything is fused correctly.
I find that if one installs accessories that later on one forgets what all the different wires control and that it is a good idea to identify such for future reference.
All the more reason to keep them stock and spend more time riding and less messing with them.
Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#12 02-27-2007, 06:52 AM,
What would be very nice in the heated clothing is a variable thermystor with a large know so you could adjust it with gloves.

#13 02-27-2007, 07:42 AM,
Good news for the GL1000 and GL1100 crowd. Randakk did a video about rebuilding the starter clutch, and explains in that video, about 1 minute 30 seconds into that video, how it is virtually impossible to to loose that gear or chain inside the engine case.
He also explains that you don't need to put the bike on the side stand. So 2 myths busted in one video.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30830">http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30830</a><!-- m -->

Above link is the NGW forum while this is Randakks website link to the original:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.randakks.com/TechTip91.htm">http://www.randakks.com/TechTip91.htm</a><!-- m -->

If you don't know who Randakk is you ought to visit his web site and check it out.
#14 12-12-2010, 08:12 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whether or not to change the starter. Raptorman 7 3,292 11-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Last Post: William_86
  Starter turns engine very slowly when hot. dank 17 6,736 09-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dank
  Starter starts engine, then will not release Chris G 3 2,217 08-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Chris G