Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Best Electrical Connections ???
Are tightly twisted electrical connections and soder the best electrical connections ? I have tried using the weather proof posi-loc connections (very expensive, but if I don't have to worry about the connection coming apart, well worth the money) in some places where it would have been inconvenient to soder the connection. There are great reviews on these and they are recommended for motorcycle applications for their vibration and weather resistance. Does anybody have any experience with whether there is any loss of current through these connections if they are properly tightened ? I need to splice a wire into my headlight because I screwed up one of the clips that fits into the white plug that plugs into the bulb. I cannot find the 90 degree clip anywhere so I am looking at splicing another wire that will fit into the clip and if sodering is best that is what I will do unless the posi-locs will do just as good a job.

As for sodering, I use the soder specifically for electrical connections, lightly strip the wires with some sandpaper, heat the wires to melt the soder and then slip some shrink tubing over it to seal it. Is there anything else I should be doing ? I really don't want to be pulling things apart again 3 months from now because a sodered connection has come apart so any guidance or recommendations would be appreciated.
BarristerSteve
1985 Honda GL1200 LTD Current
1983 Honda GL1100 Int. - Previous
1980 Honda CX 500 - Previous
1973 Honda CT70 - Previous
#1 06-15-2008, 08:50 PM,
Barrister Wrote:Are tightly twisted electrical connections and soder the best electrical connections ? As for sodering, I use the soder specifically for electrical connections, lightly strip the wires with some sandpaper, heat the wires to melt the soder and then slip some shrink tubing over it to seal it. Is there anything else I should be doing ? I really don't want to be pulling things apart again 3 months from now because a sodered connection has come apart so any guidance or recommendations would be appreciated.
Soldering is best. Sounds like you are doing it right. They make some connectors that look like crimp connectors but have solder in them and the outer casing shrinks to the wire to seal. Slip the wires in the ends then heat with a heat gun to melt solder and shrink casing. They aren't cheap. Not as good as regular soldering because it doesn't heat the wires up as much for a good flow like a soldering iron but I think they are much better than a crimp connector. Usually if you have enough room for a heat gun you have enough room for a soldering iron. :wink:
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#2 06-15-2008, 09:10 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone fitted a 1200 electrical connections harness? steelhorseangel 6 916 08-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Last Post: GWdan
  Corrosion on electrical connections & switches Wing nut 14 1,058 11-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Wing nut