Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
POORBOY KIT AVAILABLE HERE
That's the right stuff Dan, blue threadlocker or Loctite 242.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#31 07-20-2007, 03:18 PM,
Thanks Vic
#32 07-20-2007, 03:33 PM,
Blue is what I finally used. That was 3 years ago and I haven't looked back. If she hasn't come loose by now, she ain't going to.
#33 07-22-2007, 05:59 AM,
Well Paypal finaly found my deposit and I ordered my Kit today. Now I await all the shipments for 'Betty" and then its build time :-) Thanks again All on the Advise and guidance..
Tim and Carol
1985 Aspencade 1200
1984 Interstate Donor Pile
1975 ts75 Suzuki Grandkids Learner
2001 KDX 50 Kawasaki Grandkids Learner
"A free Motorcycle, the most exspensive item in the world!" Unknown
#34 09-19-2007, 11:13 AM,
Have a question, You have the Timing belt cover which have rubber seal to keep the dirt and moisture out. But now with the Poorboy or which ever conversion you use, you cut a hole in the front and there goes the sealed covers. Isn't the a bad thing if if it is not dry and free of dust.
[Image: us-cANADA.jpg]
1978 Goldwing GL1000
1985 Goldwing GL1200A
#35 05-14-2008, 09:23 AM,
To answer your question, yes there is a hole cut in it, however providing you keep the hole at a minimum any dirt and moisture has to pass a pulley traveling at quite a speed, if there is any that gets in the area it will be spun off, it has to get past the rad first.
This modification has been in use for several years now and there doesn't seem to be many complaints about moisture and dust.
Of course if it is a habit of anyone to travel through 18 or so inches of water I guess it could pose a problem.

If your happy with it, go for it if not then stick to the old design and keep pulling the engine every 70,000k
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#36 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM,
If you were to fully inspect the timing belt covers you would find open vents in them from the factory therefore the timing covers are not fully sealed units to begin with. I have been using the external alternator for six years and the cut out for the pulley has not let in any appreciable dirt or foreign in matter despite the fact that I drive in the pouring rain and on gravel roads. I think what helps keep the dirt out is the large bevelled flange ahead of the crank pulley just inside the timing belt cover.

#37 05-14-2008, 01:42 PM,
I have copleted the alternater conversion ,i used an aluminium pulley just a little larger than the alternater pulley (£5.50 from city seals and bearings sheffield uk) and had the pully bored out to 12mm and the boss trimmed,the bolt i used was not threaded all the way down to the head (the ones that are are actually called set screws), so i had it knurled this raises the diameter on the plain shank portion of the bolt ;then i pressed the bolt into the pulley using an hydraulic press thus creating a bit of a grip rather than relying soley on the torqe and friction of the bolt ,i used about a 3 mm spacer and torqued the bolt to the specified torque and used the blue locktight compound,i made my own top and bottom brackets to support the alternater, the bottom bolt was just threaded bar with nuts at both ends and some pipe for the sleeve, and also some shorter brackets that fasten to the radiator bottom and hold the bottom lower side fairing screws , my mate turned me the bottom radiator threaded bushers,i used a denso 50 Amp alternater, this system is giving me about 13 Volts @1800 rpm and 14.5 volts@ 2000 rpm .
I took the bike out for the first tiime with the conversion on and did about 90 miles and all is working OK so i'm well pleased,just need to finish some brackets off to support the lump of chrome that fastens to the radiator bottom, thannks for all the help from the people on this sight i will try and put some drawings with the dimensions of the parts i used at a later date Len
#38 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM,
Nice job! I like the idea of knurling. I'm thinking of doing the same thing when I make the switch one of these days.
#39 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM,
Good job mrgone. Its a nice feeling to have all that electrical power isnt it.

Which lump of chrome are you talking about? have you got an air dam on your bike?

#40 08-18-2008, 04:37 PM,
Well done MrGone. I'm looking forward to scanning your drawings. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

#41 08-18-2008, 09:13 PM,
The lump of chrome i'm talking about is the add on piece that bolts on to the bottom of the radiater brackets with the two amber lights at each side,
I have an onboard air compressor to raise the front and rear shocks and a tube to blow the tires up if thats what you mean by the air dam (sorry i havn't heard the term air dam before).
I did try to get the 50 AMP trip but had to settle for a blade fuse in it's own box and made a bracket and bolted it just inside the side cover near the battery,in addition to the main feed back from the alternator, i had to run two wires to excite the alternator and install the warning light; (there are two spade connctors on the alternator) . The horn was refitted at the back of the alternator using an home made bracket and boltIng it to the cowling above the carbs, I cut a slot in cowling with the angle grinder to accomodate the horns diameter.
#42 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM,
Does it look like this?

This is called an air dam or spoiler

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/EngineChrome1.html">http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/EngineChrome1.html</a><!-- m -->

Attached Files
.jpg   air dam.jpg (Size: 8.45 KB / Downloads: 697)

#43 08-19-2008, 04:45 PM,
Yes ,almost mine has the amber lights socketed within the chrome ,and holds puddles of water if you don't dry it after being caught out in the rain,
I did another 80 miles last night to a bike club,i can see why some want to fit larger pulley but above 2000 RPM the clock and radio stations are well lit up,as it's fully charging ,but i'm happy as i did the stater about three years ago,i'm prety sure that it was the regulater/ rectifier connectors under the dummy petrol tank,that caused the stater to fail, i would reccommend anyone who aquires one of these bikes to locate the two connecters and clean them regular.
Lenny
#44 08-21-2008, 11:14 AM,
Anybody in Colorado done this Poorboy kit conversion? I'd like to do it but I would need help.
#45 10-17-2008, 10:57 AM,