Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Position Lights and Self Canceling System
[quote="WingMan71"]Scotty,

I have spent months troubleshooting a turn signal problem on my '87 Aspencade. In the process I have purchased the factory Honda bulb.
[...snip...]
When the turn signals are canceled, either automatically (by the turn signal cancel control unit), or manually by the rider, the turn signal filament stops flashing and the position light relay turns the position light filament in that bulb back on so you have a running light again!

Regarding the location of the turn signal cancel control unit. On the '84 GL1200 ONLY, it is located under the ignition coils just to the left of the position light relay.
[...snip...]
========= End quote ==========

I know this is an old thread and I admit I haven't read the the entire eight pages of my search for "self-cancelling turn signals", but I am
thinking that you, Wingman71, might have a clear idea of what I need to
do to kill this annoying self-cancelling feature. Maybe I am a poor
rider/driver, but I find my signals shutting off well before I turn about 95% of the time. I have been riding for 35 years and I don't need no
stinking self-cancelling feature, thank you. Can you help me out?

Thank you.
Sean
#16 11-26-2008, 01:36 AM,
Welcome to the Site Sean!!!! If you don't get a responce from Wingman71,,, try shooting him a PM!
1985 Limited Edition
#17 11-26-2008, 02:23 AM,
Welcome Sean. The self cancelling feature will be disabled if you deprive the control unit of the speed signal. All you need to do is back the "white/black tracer" wire out of the harness. Be careful to do it at the control unit, otherwise you will also lose your auto volume feature if you're still running the type three radio.
#18 11-26-2008, 07:28 PM,
tricky Wrote:They are called running lights and are 12v 4 watt. I think they are bayonet style but not certain, you would need to examine. The manual doesnt give a number for them.

Why they are called running lights I don't know, they come on with the headlight when the IGN is turned on.
Probably Honda had a hole to fill and some bright spark decided to fill it with a lamp.

Maybe there is a legal requirement for countries that dont require the headlight to be illuminated but require some form of lamp

I have seen videos where there are wings that can turn off the headlight like any other car/truck could. He was driving around with just "running lights" on. It was kinda cool
#19 11-27-2008, 07:31 AM,
I got around to pulling the cover from the bottom of my
fork stem to look for this turn signal self-cancelling control
unit and I saw nothing. (I have an 86 Aspencade.)
Does anybody have a photo of this thing and/or could
they suggest where I might find the unit? I'm the one
that merely wants to disable the feature.

Thank you.
Sean
#20 12-11-2008, 02:33 AM,
Here ya go, Sean
[Image: CANCEL2.gif.jpg]
The harness goes up through the bottom of the steering stem. Remove the "keyboard" cover on the handle bars. You may need to remove the faux tank to get those two securing screws out. You'll see the cord coming out of the top of the steering stem. The cord can be pushed down through the rubber boot. (you may have to loosen the bars and relax the wiring harness). Remove the "stay" from the bottom of the control unit (circled) and remove the two fixing bolts. Hopefully you can draw the unit down far enough to unplug the white connector. That should disable the system. You might drive it before reassembly to make sure everything else still works.
#21 12-11-2008, 08:41 PM,
I got to the fork stem from above and then went back
to it from below. Yes, the control unit was actually there
just as you said it would, Wingman71.

And after looking at the schematic again, I concluded
that you have put a lot of thought into determining that
the black/white wire would disable the self-cancelling
feature, because it certainly wasn't obvious from looking
at the schematic. So I snipped the wire and went for
a short ride. Success!!! Thank you very, very much. Good
job.

However, now that I am not using the control unit or the
steering angle sensor, I would like to remove it. I tried
doing that, but turn signals don't work. Is it obvious to
you what wires I need to jumper in order to remove the
sensor? Or is there something in the sensor needed in
order for everything (like the position lights blinking out)
else to work?

Thanks again.
sean
#22 12-26-2008, 10:08 PM,
Learned a great deal from all the posts... but I have yet to read 3 things regarding my '84 Aspy:
1. Exactly where is the "Steering angle sensor" unit mounted?
2. What does the angle sensor look like?
3. By what mechanism is the turn signal switch (the part that I push with my L thumb) returned to the center position? I've had this all apart, cleaned it etc. - it works 1/2 the time but don't see any device that makes the switch move back... must be Honda Magic. After the turn I hear kind of a snap - snap noise and the switch moves back to home position (like I say half the time)... the other half of the time it stays in the position I pushed it to.
So thankful for all the help you guys post here.

John
#23 03-18-2009, 09:07 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  position lights Robbie 3 1,767 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Last Post: BigBro
  Position Light 86 Aspy Redf150 4 2,179 12-30-2010, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Redf150
  self canceling signals Orignalowner 5 2,850 07-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Last Post: admin