Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
need some advice please
Hi Folks,
Overdrive26 here, and I just need some ideas. My bike was running at less than optimum, so I decided a tune-up was in order. Air filter, plugs, carb sync, and oil and filter change, and a new fuel filter. I soon found the fuel filter was the wrong one (too big) so I checked the old filter, found it to be ok, so I reinstalled it. I did find quite a bit of improvement in the power. But when I took it on a 25 mi. ride, it used almost a half a tank of gas. Of course I checked for leaks and found none, not even a wet spot. it ran fine and I have no idea where all that gas went. Tonight, I decided to ride it to work, to check it on the interstate. It was better, but it still used way too much gas. I don`t have an exact mpg, but I`ll check that in the next couple of days.
Any Ideas?
Thanks for reading this,
Overdrive26
wayne Allen :? :? :?
If you treat your 1200 right, and trust her, she can and will save your butt from a lot of bad scenes. Just believe in her! Mine has several times.
#1 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM,
man thats unreal--about 14 miles per gallon or so--was their a bad gas smell--smoke out of the rear?--looking fowards to comments on this myself
Wyatt from Az.

Wyatt Earp--Wyatt Earp
brave,courageous and bold
long live his fame & long live his glory
and long may his story be told

'84 Aspencade--Pearl Saturn Red
#2 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM,
I'd like to know what it turns out to be too. I'm getting about 45 mpg and I figure that's about average. Keep us posted, Joe
#3 05-20-2008, 05:59 PM,
At that rate of fuel consumption, your plugs should have fouled, and the darn thing would have refused to restart. Have you actually added fuel to the tank? If so, how much did it take? (fuel gauge/sender problem)
#4 05-20-2008, 06:42 PM,
Well after I synced the first time a couple weeks ago my mileage dropped like a rock and after 80 miles I was looking for a gas station. ( I normally can get only 150-170 miles till I panic)

I did the job again this weekend (making mountains out of molehills) and drove the another 80 miles today and have over half a tank left. I dont have the final numbers yet but it seems I have improved greatly over what its been.
#5 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM,
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the responses. There was no fouling of the plugs, or smoke from the exaust. The bike is running great, and going home this morning, the mileage was much better. I`ve never seen anything like it, and I`ve been riding for over 42 yrs. Did I just hit the "Twilight Zone"? The weather is bad tonight, but when I can, I`ll give you guys an update. Thank a bunch guys,
Overdrive26
Wayne Allen :?
If you treat your 1200 right, and trust her, she can and will save your butt from a lot of bad scenes. Just believe in her! Mine has several times.
#6 05-20-2008, 08:19 PM,