Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Speedo quit on me!
All digits are there and the tach works. The speedo is ready O and the odomiter is also not advancing. Of course the turn signal cancelor is not working. Everything is lit up on the dash and all switches, lights and meters are working.

The fuse you are taking about. Is that one in the right or left side of the fairing?

I'll check all the connectors in that area. I've cleaned and used dielectric grease on them all a couple years ago and when I did the test on the speed sensor there was dielectric grease in that connector still.

I wont get a chance until next weekend to do the power test and check the fuse. Let me know if there is anything else to check on if it comes to you to fix this problem. I agree with the idea of there being power if I have a O. If there was no digit at all then maybe a power problem but I will check anyway. Thanks for your help with this.

I went for a ride today and it worked for the first 3 miles although eraticly. Then just a O. Be sure to look at the picture I'm going to post of the ride I took. Its a one of a kind type of road!
#16 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM,
The two fuses are in the left side after you take out the pocket.

The 7.5 fuse powers the LCD meter and the clock.

the 20 amp is for the radio.

There are 3 connectors behind the LCD dash the one I think you should look at is the 13 pin connector. The red wire is carrying the voltage but the fact that the meter is live suggests that that is OK.

The Black/Brown and Black/Yellow from the speed sensor also connect through that connector.

When you adjust the air pressure in the front or rear suspension, does that part of the meter work?

Do you have a schematic for the wiring?

If not PM me your email and I can send the page. I have the 84 and 85 year model.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#17 02-18-2007, 08:16 PM,
I would also check the main plug on the fairing. Remove it, clean the contacts and reinstall it. I have seen this plug come loose and making the connection good again fixed the intermittent problem.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#18 02-20-2007, 09:44 AM,
Vic, the power is always present to the dash, the speedo readout is the one that is intermittent, the rev counter is OK, the air pressure readout is OK, my guess is the speed sensor on the front wheel, mine checked out OK when it was happening like that to me years ago, I had the sensor changed under warranty ( you can see how long ago that was) Smile It cleared up after it was changed.

#19 02-20-2007, 05:56 PM,
It's not only the power I am concerned about Tricky it's the ground circuits as well. Improper grounds can cause havoc with eletronics, some things will work and others will not.

There is a test for the speed sensor in the manual but I'm on a new computer with no data as of yet and this machine has SATA and my old hard drive has IDE so I can't swap in my data until my IDE to USB adaptor arrives. Maybe you could check your manual for the speed sensor test procedure and post it here.

#20 02-20-2007, 06:45 PM,
Vic, it is the second post on page one of this thread.
I remember mine checked out OK but was still intermittent. After it was replaced I never have had any problems with it.
I wonder if it works OK while in a static mode but on vibration it starts to act up.

Does the motherboard on your computer not support IDE Drives?

My boot drive is a 60gig IDE drive and my second drive is an 80gig SATA

#21 02-20-2007, 07:54 PM,
Hard to say Tricky, you'd almost need a lab to test it properly under those conditions.

That's a good question about the motherboard. I'll have to pull the cover off and check that.

Well, I peaked inside and the motherboard has only 4 SATA connectors and the hard drive is 320 Gigabytes. I have a 160 Gigabyte auxiliary hard drive with all my technical data but I guess I'll have to wait until the adaptor arrives so I can connect it externally through the USB.

The interesting thing with this computer is that its dual core but if I add a second 320 Gigabyte hard drive and connect it with RAID the 2 hard drives will become dual channel and transfer time will be cut in half because it will then be feeding and transferring hard drive data at twice the speed as it does with one hard drive.

Interesting stuff.

#22 02-20-2007, 10:44 PM,
It is called striping

"Striping is the automated process of writing data across multiple drives simulteneously. Striping is used to increase the performance of disk reads.

When using striping, if you write a 5GB file across 5 drives, 1GB of data is written to each drive. Parallel reading of data from multiple disks can have a significant positive impact on performance, because the physical disk drive is most often the performance bottleneck.

Striping is used in RAID Level 0.

If one drive in a striped set fails, all of the data in the stripe set is lost. The data must be restored from backup. Because of this, striping is often combined with the use of parity (RAID 5) or mirroring (RAID 0+1).

Unquote.

I like the idea of speeding up one of the bottlenecks on the computer, the hard disk but as with anything there always comes a risk.

If I did it I would prefer a 4 disk setup, using 2 of them as backups.

#23 02-21-2007, 06:18 AM,
Why would you need two backups? The primary idea with backing up is that the data is protected. Shouldn't matter to much about the speed so long as you can still get to it.
#24 02-21-2007, 06:32 AM,
Quake, it's just the way the system must operate since it stores data on 2 drives then it must have 2 drives to back up the same info. Think of it like stereo, the info on the left channel is not the same as the info on the right channel therefore it needs a record of both channels hence the reason for the two backup drives.

All the drives must be the same size or else it utilizes the smallest size drive and makes the larger drive smaller. For instance, in my case I have one 320 Gigabyte drive but if I added three 20 Gigabyte drives then the 320 Gigabyte drive would become a 20 Gigabyte drive as well to match the others.

If I was a gamer or worked with intense graphics I would consider setting up a striping system for greater speed and faster data transfer but since I work mostly with internet and word processing I'll just stick with 320 Gigabyte drive and use my alternate hard drives as USB back up drives for storage only.

Tricky, thanks for that explanation. This is new stuff to me and every explanation helps. But now I'm wondering just how much the speed would be increased if I did add the full striping feature to my computer?

#25 02-21-2007, 08:21 AM,
Until they come up with massive hard memory sticks or cards then the hard drive is going to be the medium for data storage.
You would think striping would almost double your hard drive speed but I don't think this is the case. There are several variants of raid. Like you say it might benefit the gamer but not sure the average user would benefit but then the price of hard drives has dropped and every ounce of speed improvement is welcome.

#26 02-21-2007, 03:27 PM,
I agree with you on that Tricky.

Did you know that there are programs that allow us to use USB memory sticks as a means to increase RAM in our computer? I beleive that the transfer rate is a little slower but I think that it's kind of neat that we can use those little memory sticks in such a manner.

#27 02-21-2007, 05:39 PM,
FYI: I just got a speed sensor from Honda shop $151.00 new, he then looked it up on his computer and said that he will only get 4 more an that's it, no more from Honda. Said it's hard to keep parts around for a 20 year old bike so maybe get one and just hold on to it untill you need it.
1987 Asp.
#28 02-24-2007, 03:03 PM,
I wonder how many other dealers and suppliers across North America only have four more in stock?

#29 02-24-2007, 04:15 PM,
I imagine that if mine fails, I shall rip out the little circuit board and disect it. Thats all thats in it, sending electronic pulses out. I would imagine if there is a demand, an aftermarket supplier will come on the scene.

#30 02-24-2007, 05:03 PM,