Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Changing and flushing coolant
The false tank will need to be removed to comfortably get at the rad cap

Flushing compounds can be highly toxic, follow manufacturers instructions.

A good idea to remove the reserve tank and clean it.

If in doubt as to which coolant should be used, you can acquire a premixed coolant at the Honda Auto dealer. (Type 2)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#1 04-22-2008, 05:30 PM,
Great stuff Tricky. I'd just like to add that when you do a flush that this would be a perfect time to inspect all the hoses in the cooling system. They can sometimes go mushy and fail when you least expect it. Hoses can also harden and crack so check for both signs, also don't forget to check the hoses at the overflow tank as they are very important as well. Replace any hose that looks suspicious to avert any on-road problems.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM,
Conley Wrote:Is there a recommended brand of flush solvent and anti-freeze for the goldwing? I am going to replace the hoses at the same time too.

Most flushing agents will be OK as long as they are safe for Aluminum engines and Type2 premix from the Honda auto dealer is good for coolant

#3 06-07-2009, 06:06 AM,
I second the vote for the Honda auto type 2 premix.

About $16 a gallon in these parts from the Honda Car Dealer.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#4 02-11-2010, 12:41 PM,
tricky Wrote:
Conley Wrote:Is there a recommended brand of flush solvent and anti-freeze for the goldwing? I am going to replace the hoses at the same time too.

Most flushing agents will be OK as long as they are safe for Aluminum engines and Type2 premix from the Honda auto dealer is good for coolant
Way back in my mind, there was something about using anti-freeze without silicates ? bcause that's what took out the seals in the waterpumps ? Is the Honda ani-freez non -slicate ?
Cheers Bob
#5 10-29-2010, 07:23 AM,
Thanks Patrick,that's what I'll use then.
Cheers Bob
#6 10-29-2010, 04:49 PM,
(04-22-2008, 05:30 PM)tricky Wrote: The false tank will need to be removed to comfortably get at the rad cap

Flushing compounds can be highly toxic, follow manufacturers instructions.

A good idea to remove the reserve tank and clean it.

If in doubt as to which coolant should be used, you can acquire a premixed coolant at the Honda Auto dealer. (Type 2)

Tricky I cannot open the jpg files you have attached to this post - "file to large or corrupted..." is it something I am doing? I am using a late model Windows 7 pc that seems to handle anything jpg-wise ok...

thanks

#7 04-22-2013, 04:33 AM,
This was first posted in 2008 and the jpg's were lost in the forum changeover, I will try to replace them

#8 04-22-2013, 05:13 AM,
[quote='tricky' pid='79223' dateline='1366632809']
Thanks for the information.
I am going to flush system and replace ths hoses. This was helpful.
#9 04-22-2013, 11:38 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flushing and replacing 4evermetric 28 15,287 03-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Last Post: