Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
HELP! No Spark!!
Ok, my battery wasn't really holding a charge very well (the stator mod has been done to the bike), so I replaced it today. Picked up a new battery yesterday and charged it overnight. Battery tested at 12.9v before it went on the bike.

Bike started for a short bit (maybe 30 or 40 seconds) and then would not refire. I have looked over every electrical connection around the battery and all have tested out fine with my multimeter. I pulled a plug wire out and did the old fashion screwdriver across the head and saw no spark. I can't seem to figure out what the hell is going on!!! I was really wanting to ride tonight too.

HELP! Sad
-Jake 85 Aspy - big guys need big bikes
** I ask tricky stupid questions**
#1 04-15-2008, 03:48 PM,
Have you checked the dog bone fuse? Sometimes they look good, but when you try to remove them you find out that it's broke. A lot of guys just replace them with spade fuses. Or, is it possible that you've loosened one of the wires at the starter solenoid? Do you have an EC or DC wiring harness? If so, check to see you reattached it when you replaced the battery. They run a hot wire from the battery to the coils, and without it, you’ll get no spark. Or for that matter, do you have good ground. Could be corrosion on the ground cable where it’s connected to the frame. Hope this helps. I know what it’s like to sit there scratching your head trying to figure it out. Fortunately, it’s usually something easy, once you find it.
#2 04-15-2008, 04:50 PM,
Have you checked the dog bone fuse?
Yes, checked both sides of dogbone, have current across both. Also a spade connector there as well, current on both sides. Replaced spade fuse just in case.

Or, is it possible that you've loosened one of the wires at the starter solenoid?

Starter is turning over no problem. See 250 to 350 on rpms on cluster when starter is turning.

Do you have an EC or DC wiring harness? If so, check to see you reattached it when you replaced the battery. They run a hot wire from the battery to the coils, and without it, you’ll get no spark.
Not sure what you mean by this. 85 aspy.

Or for that matter, do you have good ground. Could be corrosion on the ground cable where it’s connected to the frame.
Where does it connect to the frame at? Ground at battery is good, not sure where frame ground is at to check it. New to the goldwing world.

Hope this helps. I know what it’s like to sit there scratching your head trying to figure it out. Fortunately, it’s usually something easy, once you find it.
Thanks so far Smile
#3 04-15-2008, 06:20 PM,
Ok, no idea what I fixed, but I pulled the false tank off and started working thru electrical connections and VOILA! the bike starts. Now another problem tho, the tach isn't working. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
#4 04-16-2008, 02:40 PM,
use electrical circuit cleaner on all ur connections
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#5 04-16-2008, 04:02 PM,
Ok, it worked then didn't work, so I went thru things really really carefully again.

It was one of the input wires on the left coilpack. It was loose. FIxed that and it fixed all the problems I had but one. My radio making a loud brrrp noise when i use the channel change is still there, but the rest of it is all good. I am soooo happy right now.
#6 04-16-2008, 07:26 PM,