Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Carb syncing
These guys are right, why give someone else your money. Our bikes should be done every year; I do mine twice a year. If you buy a good Manometer for $80. to $150. you don't have to spend a dime again to sync your carbs and it is fun and satisfying to do and see how close you can get it. In the long run in performance, gas mileage etc you will make your money back and your bike will run better. There is a technique in doing it but after you have done it a couple of times it becomes easy to do. I don't trust most of the shops to do mine, when I do it I know exactly where it is and I like to know that.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#16 08-22-2008, 11:57 AM,
When I was a kid my Uncle, who was a foreign car mechanic, belonged to a sports car club. He made a few dollars and enjoyed a lot of camaraderie by tuning up the cars the club members would race on a Sunday afternoon. I still remember the way he used to tune multiple SU or Solex carbs, and fuss over the ignition. Sometimes he would get to tune his own car and we would go for a rather spirited ride. He was a good race driver and a great mechanic and I still remember how he would fret over how the plugs he used were one or two heats to cold for the carb tune he had set up.
I wasn't gifted with the skills he had but I did acquire a love of a perfect tune up. Balanced carbs have as much to do with a sweet running engine as anything else so long as it is mechanically sound. A sweet running engine has as much effect on my enjoyment of the bike as any other single factor except for maybe the weather. I'd rather have a bad miss fire than hail or sleet but that's not the point of my post.
I think innately all bikers enjoy a sweet running bike, and when you are responsible for that sweetness the satisfaction is exponentially better. Like blowing a perfect note on a trumpet if you know what I mean. Tune ups aren't all that hard to do and the rewards are amazing. The only danger is perhaps becoming anal about the tune but I've been going to the meetings and I'm much more relaxed about ignition timing now. :lol:

Tim
Tim Johnson
1984 GL1200I
1975 GL1000
2002 GasGas trials.
1956 Norton Dominator
#17 08-22-2008, 07:42 PM,
Bluewing - I read your arcticle on carb syncing in the tech center & found it very explanitory. I will give this a shot myself. I too am a firm believer of why pay someone else when you can do it your self Tongue . Looks like I will just take one weekend to do the alt conv. & carb sync. -flush rad. ,change plugs -wires. All that good stuff Tongue . Gotta keep her healthy & she'll keep you happy- right :lol: .--------------Wng Dng
#18 02-21-2009, 05:24 PM,
wng dng Wrote:Bluewing - I read your arcticle on carb syncing in the tech center & found it very explanitory. I will give this a shot myself. I too am a firm believer of why pay someone else when you can do it your self Tongue . Looks like I will just take one weekend to do the alt conv. & carb sync. -flush rad. ,change plugs -wires. All that good stuff Tongue . Gotta keep her healthy & she'll keep you happy- right :lol: .--------------Wng Dng

That’s great Wing Ding; I hope my post helps you. Keeping our wings healthy and in good shape does help make our rides Safer and happier. The carb sync is not hard to do and benefits are very noticeable. Let us know how you make out, if I can help let me know.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#19 02-22-2009, 08:25 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5mm fittings for carb syncing neoracer 2 468 12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Last Post: admin
  One more thing to check when syncing carbs.... MikeM 3 557 03-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky