Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Removeing Carbs
I just ordered a kit from Randakk, I don't need to rebuild them this season but I will do it as one of my next winter projects.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#16 06-06-2008, 06:56 AM,
glhonda Wrote:Remove the lower fairing skirts. Remove the storage compartment in the faux tank.
At the left front corner of the compartment area you'll see a "tee"with three vacuum hoses. Remove the hose that leads back down to the carbs. (I use a lighter to apply a SMALL amount of heat to soften the hose so I don't break the fitting)
I remove the left case gaurd for more "flexibility" when removing the carb assy.
Remove the air box, air filter and the gold colored "stand" for the air cleaner.
Remove the intake tubes. #4 should have a vacuum hose that leads back to the carbs. Remove it from the intake runner if at all possible.
Gently pry the air tubes out of the head. It seems to work best if you pry at the rubber supports, while applying a slight amount of down force on the portion that goes into the head. These need to come straight up to avoid damage.
At this point the carbs are just "hanging". And ready for removal.
Position the plug wires as far aft of the frame as possible. You're going to need this room to get the carbs out. It's a very tight fit.
Place a rag over the valve cover (left) to prevent scratching.
Remove the fuel line from the fuel pump that leads to the carbs. Make sure your petcock is turned off.
From the left side, gently pull the carbs out a few inches. This should give you enough room to access the nuts for the throttle cables. Remove them.
At the front left corner of the carb/rack assy you'll see the choke cable mount. Remove the two screws from the bracket. Makes it a lot easier to remove the choke cable from it's operating arm.
The air tubes that you removed from the heads are a PITA. Make sure they don't hang or bind while removing the carbs. Be careful to not disturb the coolant transfer tubes too much. They could leak upon reassembly.
If you hold your mouth just right, the carbs should now be on the floor.

Did I miss anything?

This is one of the best posts that I've seen regarding carb removal.. Every new Goldwing owner should be required to memorize this one...as they will need it..
#17 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM,