Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Antenna
I understand the radio and the cb share a splitter so as to utilize one antenna. If I was to hook one antenna directly to the radio and add another which would hook directly to the cb, would there be any real benefit? From what I've read, those who have done it claim far better performance in each unit but I'd like some firsthand information if possible. I'm kinda hoping that by going to two antennas, I might also be able to lose the background hiss in the intercom system.
#1 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM,
Hi Keener,

I just finished a setup similar to what your asking about. My CB would get out at times and at times it wouldn't so I made a little trip to the local Truck Stop CB Store and purchased a Wilson 5/8 wave flex antenna and 18 feet of mini 8 coxial cable. I then went to Radio Shack and got an adapter to hook the coxial cable into the CB which as you know uses the stock automotive radio style slip-in plug.

I had 2 antennas on the bike but only 1 was hooked up and it went thru the splitter your talking about. First thing I done was to remove the antenna on the left side of the bike. Took it out of the bracket then using some hard plastic I turned it down to provide an insulator for the antenna. By using a longer bolt I adapted the Wilson antenna to the chrome GoldWing antenna mount under the trunk. Since the bike does not have a very good ground plane I ran the 18 feet of mini 8 cable along the frame of the bike (it makes 1 and 1/2 loop) this provides a little more ground plane receiving surface. Most antennas are based on the use of 9 or 18 feet of caxial cable to make it work correctly, I choose the 18 because it was cheaper. You can purchase an antenna which supposedly makes its own ground plane but you must use specific parts for it and it was a little higher in cost.

Next remove the spliter box and hook the orginal antenna to the AM/FM radio. It will not matter that the CB load coil is there this is a receive only unit so it is not affected by the coil. You should get good reception.

Next get an SWR meter and adjust your new CB antenna until you can get a reading of 1.3 - 1.5 SWR on channel 1, then test on ch 20 & 40 you don't want a reading of more than 2 or 2.5 if possible on the upper channels. The closer you can maintain the SWRs the better your transmitting and receiving. I had to trim almost 3/8" off my antenna to get it within the target range. Once completed I had my son-in-law stay in my yard with his 1500 Wing, while I rode off to test the range. At 3 miles he could hear me fine, but at 1 3/4 miles his stock 1500 CB started cutting out and I was barely able to make out his transmissions he was breaking up so bad. We'll be doing his bike this way next.

Don't know if this will help the intercom hiss but it sure helped radio reception and CB performance.

Hope this is some of the info you were looking for.

TN
#2 01-29-2007, 09:33 PM,
Thanks very much, TN. That was exactly the input I was seeking. It's members like you helping those of us who are technically challenged that makes this forum work. If you don't mind, I may pm you later on if I run into any problems.
#3 01-29-2007, 10:43 PM,
Not a problem, PM away if you need help.
Do you have 2 antennas on your bike now? Some people like the look of the 2 antennas and will mount a dummy. If you plan on using a stock mount contact me and I might have some of the plastic material I used left if you need an insulator made. If your using a piece of angle then you can use the mount setup that is standard with the antenna you purchase.

Glad to be of help.

TN
#4 01-30-2007, 12:30 PM,
TN, the only antenna I have now is the stock unit. I was planning on buying a new setup from Honda so it would look the same on each side and be esthetically balanced. If I take that route, would I still need an insulator or would it be included in the Honda kit?
#5 01-31-2007, 11:36 AM,
In effect your going to buy another stock style setup and have one on both sides, this gives a great look to the bike. This can be done and the insulator does come in the set for that particular setup. However I installed a non-stock antenna from a company which is in the CB business that is why a different insulator was needed, mine would be classified as a custom install. To me the stock units are marginal at best. If you do purchase the stock unit it is very IMPORTANT that you match the SWR readings as described in my earlier post. This will give maximum results from the antenna in broadcasting and will not hurt the CB.

My bike has the stock antenna on the right and a black whip antenna on the left. I plan on painting the stock antenna which I'm using for the AM/FM radio black to match the new CB antenna.

TN
#6 01-31-2007, 12:22 PM,
I've managed to find a left hand side mounting bracket complete with cable on eBay but still watching / searching for another antenna. One discovery is item no 180081875917 on eBay (sorry, haven't figured out how to post the link yet). If one believes the seller's story, a couple of these would look really good and the price ain't bad, either. I'd sure appreciate some feedback from some of you gurus out there.
#7 02-04-2007, 10:38 AM,
Hi keener,

You may want to check with some of the supply dealers like Service Honda or Honda Direct also. I have seen some of these units in places like Chrome Crazy and other aftermarket dealers. The right and left brackets I don't believe are interchangalbe since they are angled to fit their respective side of the motorcycle. As far as being matched the Wilson antenna I spoke of is 4 ft in length, this is the same length as the stock unit. I'll try to get some photos to post for you to view. I have the antenna I removed but I don't believe it is any good, and I reused the mount for my new antenna.

Good luck in your search.

TN
#8 02-04-2007, 01:57 PM,
Hey, TN...

As I mentioned, I bought a matching left hand side mounting bracket through a seller on ebay and it comes with the cable. I've decided to try a couple of the 15" antenna for now. They are inexpensive relative to a factory piece and should improve the look of the bike. I'll keep you posted.
#9 02-05-2007, 11:24 AM,
Just as an update, I purchased a couple of the 15" after-market antennae, but I don't think they will work on a 'Wing without a lot of mounting bracket modification. I won't know for sure until I get my girl out of winter storage later this month. In the meantime, and just to be safe, I'm going to buy a new Honda antenna to match the existing.
#10 03-05-2007, 11:53 AM,