Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
LED Kits for Gold Wing's
Jim I notice you say not to use resistors with the LEDS as it negates the power savings with Leds. But your Kit for the 1200 GoldWing comes with 4 Resistors what is the answer to this with the resistors same amp draw as reg bulbs so no saving with Leds plus a restor that might start a fire or ???

The straight poop please

Larry Higuera
#1 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM,
The resistors provide enough resistance in the turn signal circuit to allow the flasher to operate properly. They are only for your turn signals and do not affect the power saving features of the rest of the LED's.
But, I had always heard the LED's were only or "mostly" directional. What's so special about the bulbs in the kit that allows them to be compatible with our "sideways" mounted gl1200 bulbs?
#2 03-13-2008, 08:56 PM,
After much study and testing I have found that the resistors are the way to go for the turn signals.
They only work when the turn signal flashes on, the rest of the time they do nothing at all.

If you were to use the resistor to correct the tail light out warning on the dash panel, they would work all the time and rob the power savings.

For the directional question:

The lights in my kit are not directional, and they are several times brighter than a conventional LED, they are brighter than filament bulbs.

Thanks
Jim
#3 03-14-2008, 04:28 AM,
Why not just ditch the thermal flasher unit and plug an electronic flasher into it's place? I've heard that it works, and my CB900C has the electronic in it. Guess I'll have to pull one of the bulbs out and see what it dose and report back.
#4 03-14-2008, 06:27 AM,
quakeholio Wrote:Why not just ditch the thermal flasher unit and plug an electronic flasher into it's place? I've heard that it works, and my CB900C has the electronic in it. Guess I'll have to pull one of the bulbs out and see what it dose and report back.

I hope you have luck with the electronic flashers, I did not.

some were too fast, some were too slow and some would not work at all.

Just because it works on a 900, does not mean it will work on a 1200.
I know it makes no since, but we tried and failed with them.

Jim
#5 03-14-2008, 03:15 PM,
With one bulb out it worked just fine, ether front or back, but take them both out and nothing. I don't know what would happen if the front and back were both LED's. Interesting info, thanks.
#6 03-14-2008, 06:55 PM,
quakeholio Wrote:Why not just ditch the thermal flasher unit and plug an electronic flasher into it's place? I've heard that it works, and my CB900C has the electronic in it. Guess I'll have to pull one of the bulbs out and see what it dose and report back.

I tried an led (electronic) flasher made for the goldwing. It seamed to work properly except the self cancel feature did not work, so back to the regular bulbs I went.
purchased fall of 83 .......$9,000.00
first ride spring of 84......$1,000,000.00
27 years later................priceless
#7 03-15-2008, 10:17 PM,
Another reason to use the resistors.
#8 03-15-2008, 10:50 PM,