Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Member - Northern California
Greetings, and thanks for having this forum and resource. I own an '84 Standard. It's my second one. Had a lot of other bikes but keep coming back to this one. Found this one 3 years ago on Craigslist for $2,800 with 6,000 miles on it and garaged mint. It now has 13k miles and looks brand new except the valve covers. I want a new pair of these and not the cheap chrome after-market ones that leak... I use this bike to commute to work on nice days and occassionally ride it 520 miles to my golf home in Palm Springs.
I'm happy to host riders visiting the area; live 20 miles north of the Golden Gate. Not sure how to post my bike's picture on this site; no instructions after registering? - Mike Eggert, Novato, CA
#1 02-28-2008, 06:57 AM,
Welcome to the Site!!

Instead of buying new covers why not refinish the original ones? Right now I'm in the proccess of cleaning the pits/corrossion on the aluminum on my bike. I'm using a gray scotch pad with aluminum polish to remove the pitting and doing the final polish with an 8" cloth buffing wheel mounted on a hand drill and what I've done so far has come out very nice!! Good luck with her!!
1985 Limited Edition
#2 02-28-2008, 07:39 AM,
if you refinish them, be sure to use a good paint stripper to get all the clear coat off.... then you can either buff them to a sheen, haze them, or even paint them.... in anycase a clear coat topping gives them durablity

grew up just south of you in Daly City
78 GL1000 (original owner), 86 1200 with motorvation sidecar (wife's), 05 Road King, and 75 frame and lots of parts
state map: "Lots"-all states if you indlude all my bikes
#3 02-28-2008, 09:34 AM,
Professor-Fun Wrote:Not sure how to post my bike's picture on this site; no instructions after registering? - Mike Eggert, Novato, CA

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20</a><!-- l -->

Search and ye shall be rewarded
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#4 02-28-2008, 09:43 AM,
Welcome, Professor. I agree with rosco. Why not re-finish the covers? If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure there must be chrome shops in your neck of the woods.
#5 02-28-2008, 11:09 AM,
Welcome to the forum from Ont.,Canada
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#6 02-28-2008, 05:49 PM,