Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
starved GL1200i
I have had my 84 interstate about 1 1/2 yrs with mixed problems latest problem is what i think is a fuel starvation problem after installing an automotive fuel pump because i couldnt find a affordable factory pump! any way a little history is in order! i have been having problem with charging circuit since i got it , decided to do the connector bypass on the stator and had problems getting the solder to stick on the burn't wires so i may need to go back and redo it! then had aproblem with rust in my fuel tank clogging factory pump and causing it to burn up, so i found the closest automotive pump for a carburated system and installed it into the factory wiring connector...but now ican ride it 3 or 4 miles and it will die out as if starved for fuel...lined tank with a product called redcoat and was real careful about not clogging the screen in the tank...if i let itsit with the key turned on after it dies it will fill the bowls back up and i can go on my way usually...getting afraid to drive this thing....took carbs apart and cleaned them and it ran great for about two weeks but i think i may have missed some rust...or maybe an automotive pump is designed differant then the factory one and cant be wired to the original pump wires...any ideas anyone?
#1 02-23-2008, 01:54 AM,
First off, all fuel pumps are not the same.
Turn the ignition switch off. Disconnect the fuel pump relay from the coupler under the ignition coils.
Short the white and black wire coupler terminals with a jumper wire.
Disconnect the fuel pump outlet line at the 3-way joint and hold a graduated beaker under the tube.
Turn the ignition switch on, let fuel flow into the beaker for 5 seconds, then turn the ignition switch off.
Multiply the amount in the beaker by 12 to determine the fuel pump flow capacity per minute.

Fuel Pump Minimum Flow: 500 cc (1 6.9 oz) /minute

If you don't have this flow then you can chase your tail looking for the problem.

If the pump will not deliver and there are no obstructions then shell out for the correct pump.

You cannot solder to dirty wires. Remove bad wire and add a section with the same gauge.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 02-23-2008, 06:40 AM,
yep cut out the bad wire and add in new--using the burnt wire is only asking for problems Smile
Wyatt from Az.

Wyatt Earp--Wyatt Earp
brave,courageous and bold
long live his fame & long live his glory
and long may his story be told

'84 Aspencade--Pearl Saturn Red
#3 03-04-2008, 05:47 PM,