Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Maximum Current Output
Does anyone know what the maximum current output for the 1200 is? I've been looking at installing a Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone 12-Volt Motorcycle Air Horn but they say it draws <18 amps. Sounds like a lot to me.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/
#1 02-10-2008, 02:17 AM,
Install the air horns as per manufacturers suggestions.
Keep in mind how long and how often your going to use it?
It's not as if it is going to be on all the time like headlights or spotlights.

I have used air horns on my 1200 for a long time, long before I installed the external alternator.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 02-10-2008, 07:49 AM,
Wire those babys to blow constantly.........you'll be in the loony bin long before you run out of power!!!! :lol:

I'm with Tricky......I think you'll be fine......
#3 02-10-2008, 09:00 AM,
Since the horn wont be using power the whole time it will do fine, just wire them using a relay directly to the battey and ur electrical system will be ok
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#4 02-10-2008, 03:03 PM,
STOP! For a change, EVERYONE's RIGHT!
The stator is rated @ 350 watts. 350 divided by sytem voltage (12) equals just about 30 amps. Good call Angela.
Since your main fuse is rated at 30 amps, you NEED to wire the horns straight off the battery, through a relay and protect it with @ 20 amp fuse. Wouldn't want to blow the main fuse everytime you honk Sad
And yes, if you hot wire it straight to the battery, you will be making a trip to the "loony bin". Confusedhock:
#5 02-10-2008, 04:09 PM,
glhonda Wrote:STOP! For a change, EVERYONE's RIGHT!
The stator is rated @ 350 watts. 350 divided by sytem voltage (12) equals just about 30 amps. Good call Angela.
Since your main fuse is rated at 30 amps, you NEED to wire the horns straight off the battery, through a relay and protect it with @ 20 amp fuse. Wouldn't want to blow the main fuse everytime you honk Sad
And yes, if you hot wire it straight to the battery, you will be making a trip to the "loony bin". Confusedhock:

My air horns blow a 20 amp fuse, they call for a 30 amp
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#6 02-10-2008, 05:17 PM,
Is it realistically possible to make an air horn operate off the on board compressor?
#7 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM,
Let's see. An electric compressor activates the air horns. Any idea how much pressure it produces? Your onboard compressor is MANUALLY operated, not on demand. You would have to install a pressure bottle to hold the charge, and it would only be good for ONE honk. Possible, yes. Realistic, No.
As a safety precaution, I always CHECK my horns before I start out. I can't tell you the last time I USED them.
#8 02-10-2008, 10:19 PM,
Well, I have an airhorn on my truck. It's a musical horn that has 8 horns, It was a freebie/gift. It operates off it's own tiny little compressor, that has no tank, and comes on when you push the button. Each horn gets a short blast caused by a rotor with a hole in it on top of the tiny compressor.

I'd imagine it possible that some bright chap might create a relay switch that could activate the compressor and direct the air to the horn when the button is pressed.

I don't know if it's possible, or if anybody would want to make that effort. But, the bike already has a compressor. It's a shame to add more weight to the bike to add a second compressor.
#9 02-10-2008, 10:28 PM,
I want to thank everyone for their responses. As usual, I can always rely on the board members to help me sort things out when I get stuck.

Thanks again!
#10 02-10-2008, 11:32 PM,