Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do I Need A New Fuse Block?
Yep Redwing, I know. I wasn't suggesting the info was wrong... only that he may have thought it couldn't be done when it actually may still be perfectly okay to do what he intended.

A phillips head screwdriver can confirm that the cig lighter plug contains nothing but a fuse. If that's the case, as it is with my Garmin, it'll work fine because means it wants 12 volts at that point where he would cut the wires.
Paul
'86 SEi
#16 01-14-2008, 08:11 PM,
I think that what I'm going to do is run a line from the input side of my fuse block to a single cig lighter. I'll probably put it in the left pocket. Then, I'll get a 1-3 splitter and plug in the provided acessory plug. Problems solved. Accept for fusing it. Although the GPS and my cell phone does not say what current they draw, I can' t imagine they draw too much. Maybe a 4a inline fuse. I would perfer that the units not be switched. Anytime I leave my bike, the GPS is coming off and I'll be taking my phone with me.

This is just getting way to complicated. Maybe paper maps aren't that bad after all.
#17 01-14-2008, 08:28 PM,
A lighter socket sounds like the perfect solution. It's the route I went.

I strongly suggest that you get one with a rubber cap over it, not one with a lighter... Rain is bad for those sockets, and dropping screws into them ain't good either. My bike came without a rubber cap over the socket, so I stuck a cork in it until I could replace it.
Paul
'86 SEi
#18 01-14-2008, 08:34 PM,
I don't like hogging holes in my plastic for add ons so I put 2 cig lighters right inside the left front fairing pocket.I use one for the GPS and one for my cell phone charger.I have the rubber caps on them so if I want to put something else in the pocket it won't slide into the socket and short it out.Works well for me.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#19 01-15-2008, 07:54 PM,
Fatwing Chris Wrote:I don't like hogging holes in my plastic for add ons so I put 2 cig lighters right inside the left front fairing pocket.I use one for the GPS and one for my cell phone charger.I have the rubber caps on them so if I want to put something else in the pocket it won't slide into the socket and short it out.Works well for me.

This is what I plan to do too. Did you mount them to the side or bottom?
#20 01-15-2008, 10:15 PM,
One way to check the voltage at the plug that connects to the device is, with it plugged into the cigarrete lighter and disconnected from the device, use a multimeter to check the voltage at the plug with center positive and the outside negative.
1985 Limited Edition
#21 01-16-2008, 12:17 AM,
roscoepc Wrote:One way to check the voltage at the plug that connects to the device is, with it plugged into the cigarrete lighter and disconnected from the device, use a multimeter to check the voltage at the plug with center positive and the outside negative.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that. Just as soon as the vendor on Ebay sends me the GPS. I've got a slow burn going on right now. The auction closed, I won and he then sent me an email saying his distributor was "out of stock due to a computer error". :evil: So, maybe someday, I'll get it.
#22 01-16-2008, 02:26 AM,
OK, I've got the cig lighter sockets. This afternoon, I went out and removed the left cover and then pocket. Much to my surprise, the pocket is nested among a whole bunch of wires.

Before I saw this, my plan was to cut a hole in the side or bottom of the pocket and install the receptical. Unfortunately, the socket base sticks out about 2 to 2 1/2" (including wiring) and there's no where to put it.

Any suggestions for a better mounting location?

[Image: GoldLighterSM.jpg]
#23 01-16-2008, 08:46 PM,
I have a duel 12 volt receptacle mounted at the bottom of the left pocket. I did have to make a few mods for it to happen.
It is connected to a fused battery connection so it live at all times. I use it for my fm modulator and my MP3 Player.

[Image: bikemp3002.jpg]
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#24 01-16-2008, 08:49 PM,
You might get one of these, which cover the left side pocket and you can cut holes any way you wish for whatever you like:

[Image: NewStandControls.jpg]

The one shown here mine (I've made changes since so the switches are all the same color) but you can add any accessory switches you wish. I've added a little GoldWing emblem to mine since this photo was taken.

Where to get it? Sorry I dunno, mine came with the bike... someone here must know.
Paul
'86 SEi
#25 01-16-2008, 08:54 PM,
RustyTheDog Wrote:You might get one of these, which cover the left side pocket and you can cut holes any way you wish for whatever you like:

[Image: NewStandControls.jpg]

The one shown here mine (I've made changes since so the switches are all the same color) but you can add any accessory switches you wish. I've added a little GoldWing emblem to mine since this photo was taken.

Where to get it? Sorry I dunno, mine came with the bike... someone here must know.

Now, this is an excellent idea! I'll have to start looking for a hard cover to replace the leather. I didn't even know they made them. UPDATE: I took a look in the right cover. There actually IS room for them in the bottom. The only bad thing is that as this is a locking cover, I like to carry things that I don't need quick access to but I want them to remain secure.

I may just have to take a ride up to Sacto and see your set up. I'm in Concord.
#26 01-16-2008, 09:11 PM,
Here's one:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DFP%2DGL12">http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... DFP%2DGL12</a><!-- m -->

My profile lies... I'm actually in Antelope CA but nobody knows where that is. Just a few miles north of Sacto... anytime just drop me a line!
Paul
'86 SEi
#27 01-16-2008, 09:24 PM,
RustyTheDog Wrote:Here's one:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DFP%2DGL12">http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp ... DFP%2DGL12</a><!-- m -->

My profile lies... I'm actually in Antelope CA but nobody knows where that is. Just a few miles north of Sacto... anytime just drop me a line!

OUTSTANDING! Absolutely outstanding. Thank you very much. I already have it on order. Also, I see the switches on your panel. Are they waterproof? That looks like a great idea too.

And yes, I do know where Antelope is. The wife and I go up to Thunder Valley to pay taxes occasionally. My GW group will be visiting Sacto on Saturday. PM me if you would like to meet up.
#28 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM,
Sure, expect a PM in a few hours. Smile

I was worried about waterproofing too. The two switches I added for my electric center stand have rubber boots on them, but the rectangular holes were already cut and the switches were installed when I got the bike.

I doubt those switches are waterproof, but I've ridden in rain and they still work. I do like the light-up rocker style... They light only when the accessory is on. The switch at the bottom is a master so I can turn off everything at once, or when I turn it back on my "selected pattern of accessories" comes back. One of the switches is still unused, ready for some future accessory. The bike came with a variety of colors for the switches as shown, but I wanted all the same color, so I found them for $4.95 at Fry's. I'm sure there are cheaper sources.
Paul
'86 SEi
#29 01-16-2008, 11:07 PM,
redwing1984 Wrote:sometimes the 12 volt plug has a very small transformer in it which will reduce the voltage to approx. 5 volts, their is nothing misleading about that, My sirius satellite radio and my Garmin GPS both have these, all i'm saying is be sure of the operating voltage of your unit before connecting it directly to the battery, whatever you do is up to you.

Redwing is correct, my Sirius radio unit's plug is labeled that the outlet is transformed to 5volts.
Be very sure anbout this before you burn up an expensive unit! :wink:
Harry Waggoner
GL1200A "Animal"

GWRRA VA-B
More ROCKIN and less Talkin!
#30 01-24-2008, 09:02 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for information on the 1987 Fuse block and e.t.m pdf charlainec 3 758 11-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Last Post: charlainec
  Broken fuse dog-bone fuse carriage / battery connector pstelter 23 2,918 09-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Guest