Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Which circuit shall I use?
I have lotsa lights, heated handgrips, and an "electric center stand" as I posted earlier. All of these use the same circuit, although when the center stand is activated, it uses a relay to cut the circuit to the running lights. (They move a little faster that way if they happen to be turned on.)

BUT... all of these things are on the "radio" circuit, which is definitely wrong. (Don't blame me, a previous owner did it.) Those electric legs take a lot of current, and my radio speakers make a distinct "pop" when they move, even if the radio is turned off. I've burned a few fuses too. That circuit has a 10 amp fuse.

I assume if I ran right off the battery it would be better for the radio, but it should be switched by the key of course.

I want to switch to a different circuit, but which circuit should I be using to power all this stuff?

Also, would adding a capacitor to the circuit help my radio from making popping noises when I activate the motors for the stand? If so, what's a good cap to use?
#1 12-27-2007, 03:44 PM,
You would run a relay using the battery to supply the relay with a fused circuit and use the accessory + to switch the relay.

This is for lighting but the theory is the same.

[Image: drivinglight_wiring_diagram.jpg]
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 12-27-2007, 04:23 PM,
Thanks for responding Tricky.

Below is the ugly mess I have right now. Essentially, yes the accessories run right off the battery through a fuse. (Sorry I was misleading.) But there are three differences here between what you posted, and what I have.

First, notice that I have switches after the relay, and only one relay for all light bars. Do I need a separate relay for each item to be powered? I basically have one (or rather, half of a dual relay) for all lights. The other half of the relay runs the electric legs. Currently all relays are in the left fairing pocket, and it's already a bit crowded.

Second, note that when the electric legs are activated, a 5-pin relay cuts the power to the second half of the main relay, killing all other accessories. It's in series with the motors of the legs, and polarity can be either way through the coil but that doesn't matter. I did this so the legs would move faster if other lights are on. (This means when the 5-pin relay is activated, it cuts the circuit to half of another relay... so if you listen carefully you hear two rapid clicks. This is especially evident through the radio speakers.)

Third (which is what I wrote about) is that the positive wire going to terminal 86 on all relays is from the radio circuit. That's the fuse I've blown, but I admit it may be because I short circuited while wiring. I know at least this must be changed so I won't hear the relays through the radio, but where on the bike is the best place to find an accessory positive wire or terminal?

[Image: Image1.jpg]
#3 12-27-2007, 06:12 PM,
The switched positive can be found in the fuse box under the storage container in the false tank.

I use separate relays for my accessories preferring to switch the relay, that way the switch is switching a very low current rather than the higher current that the accessory is using.

#4 12-27-2007, 09:27 PM,
Thanks.

Apparently the hosting of my wiring diagram is down at the moment, but I just noticed that the coil of the 5-pin relay is acting as a resistor for the electric center stand. Duh... That'll slow 'em down. I'll fix that too.
#5 12-27-2007, 10:36 PM,
Although I said "thanks" I didn't quite get it. I would have assumed it's in the false tank (that's where the "radio" positive is from) but which of the fuses should I run a wire from?

One of them is labeled "IGN" which I assume is the "master" of all circuits that are turned on with the key switch. Is that the correct one to use?
#6 12-28-2007, 01:13 AM,
"ne of them is labeled "IGN" which I assume is the "master" of all circuits that are turned on with the key switch. Is that the correct one to use?"

The complete fuse box is powered from the ignition including the acc +- screws which are at the front of the fuses, the + is already fused and controlled by the ignition, use that one for low current control of the relay.

#7 12-28-2007, 07:54 AM,
Great, I get it. Thank you very much!
#8 12-28-2007, 12:45 PM,