Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New 'Wing Prices
I received my new Cycle Canada today which contains, among other things, a Buyers' Guide for Touring bikes. I have to formally register my shock and surprise to see the price of a new 'Wing at better than $30,000 Cdn! Confusedhock: The H-D Ultra is around $22,000 Cdn. I'm sorry, but when I look at US prices for the new 1800, I'm convinced we're being stiffed good and proper by Mother Honda.

Of course, such is academic regardless as I'm not about to buy another bike in any event. Mind you, winning the 6/49 might make me change my mind!
#1 12-21-2007, 10:19 PM,
I have no intention of getting a new wing but if I was I would still pay $30,000. For a new wing before I would pay $22,000 for a new Harley. The guy that sold me my 1200 got a new Harley and has had nothing but problems with it.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 12-22-2007, 10:06 PM,
I'm sorry to hear that there is such a mark up in Canada. Seems like mother Honda would rather sell more units at a slightly lower price than sell less units at a much higher price. After all, they really make more money with the service and repair, so more units on the road would translate to more units needing repair later and that = more money.

Here in the US I have found the best price around is at a dealer in Chatanooga Tennessee. A 2007 with comfort/nav package for less than $20,000. If I were really wanting one (an 1800) Chatanooga is about 1 1/2 hours from me.
Remember, No matter where you go...There you are!

Here is where I have ridden my 1984 GL1200I
I completed the lower 48 states in August 2009, riding the whole way with my Dad

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#3 12-23-2007, 06:30 AM,
If memory serves, 'Wings are built in Ohio, aren't they? Its not as if Honda has to send them over on a boat! With the dollars at par, give or take a few cents, why aren't the Cdn and US prices reflecting that fact?
#4 12-23-2007, 09:00 PM,
Yes they are made in Marysville, Ohio.

This is on the Honda.ca website. Have ever heard such a load of codswallop

Why Buy From a Canadian Honda Dealer?

The following are some of the benefits of buying or leasing Canadian-specification Honda products from a Canadian Honda dealer:

* Financing and leasing options, not available for U.S.-specification Honda products purchased in the U.S. for importation by Canadian residents.
* Canadian warranty coverage, which does not cover U.S.-specification products purchased in the U.S. for importation into Canada.
* Available Honda Plus coverage for extended warranty, which is not available on U.S.-specification Honda products purchased in the U.S. for importation into Canada by Canadian residents.
* Availability of 24-hour Roadside Assistance on new Canadian-specification Honda motorcycles.
* Timely availability of replacement parts for all Canadian-specification Honda products.
* Sales promotions and programs in Canada.
* Canadian-specific climate-related parts, which may include such items as heated breather hoses to reduce winter ice-up.
* Canadian-specific safety items such as CSA certified components on Generators and conspicuity enhancing reflectors on off-road models. The Canadian-specification Honda Goldwing is equipped with a satellite navigation system that incorporates fully French-Canadian voice guidance, mapping and controls.
* Canadian-specification products are equipped with labeling that accommodates the metric system and bi-lingual labeling requirements.
* Canadian-specification generators comply with CSA standards, and certain models have technology specifically aimed at improving cold-weather operation and durability.

I will be sticking with my 1200 unless given the unlikely event that I win the lottery (I don't buy tickets) someone leaves me a great sum of money (even more unlikely)
The closest I will ever come to a new Goldwing is when I pass a Brinks truck Smile

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year with lots of miles in.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 12-24-2007, 07:59 AM,
You're bang on, tricky. It reads as if written by some petty mandarin in Ottawa! Many words, no substance.

Anyway, like you, I won't be buying another 'Wing until I win the lottery, the odds of which are about the same as my hair growing back! Big Grin
#6 12-24-2007, 11:16 AM,
You are right Tricky the specs are different in Canada and you are even more right about keeping our 1200s. I don't have an extra $30,000 to spend on a new Wing and I have no interest to buy another one.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#7 12-24-2007, 12:03 PM,
I think the GL1800 is an engineering mastepiece and a wonderful motorcycle but it's a machine that I would personally never own because it's not user friendly. The 1800 is the sort of machine that you need to stay on friendly terms with your dealership with or be a master mechanic to work on it. Air bags, anti lock brakes, shim bucket manually adjustable valves, tempermental cooling system, aluminum frame cracking problems, steering wobbles, all these things the shade tree mechanic cannot and should not tackle on his own if he has any sense. Basically any repair can be handled on a GL1200 by a person with good common sense and a decent set of tools. The 1200 and the 1800 are worlds apart in this area and since I love wrenching my motorcycle as much as I love riding an 1800 will never be in my future even if I win a lottery I'll just hop my 1200 up to outrun and outhandle the 1800. Big Grin
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 12-24-2007, 12:48 PM,
Well no need to win a lottery :lol: or pay Mother Honda her rediculous prices in Canada. :x :x :x

Go to the land of the free and cheap wing prices, yes the USA Idea

For less than $20k you can get a 2007 wing very easily and if you shop a little I have seen them for $16K 8).

Vic, is right the 1800 is not for the faint of heart to work on, but a guy by the name of Fred H has a set of DVD's doing maintenance on his 1800 using store bought tools and some homemade ones. Great information for any 1800 owner. :wink:

The 1200 have their own issues, so does the 1500, Mother Honda saw to it that the 1800 was not to be left without. Each wing purchase needs to be judged on its own merit and the needs of the rider and co-rider.

People used to ask me what is the best vehicle to buy. My response, buy what you can afford, what you feel good in, as long as that vehicle does not cost you an arm and leg in expenses its a good vehicle. :!: :!:

IMHO.............Howard 8) 8)

2008 Deals Gap here we come. 8) 8) 8)
Howard & Sharon Sims-GWRRA#259911
EX 1986 Aspencade
EX 2002 GL-1800

[Image: VisitedProvincesMap-copy.jpg][Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#9 12-27-2007, 04:30 PM,
The point I was trying to make Howard is that I love casually working on my motorcycle as much as I love riding it. It's not a matter of not being able to afford an 1800 it's a matter of desiring a motorcycle that I can easily repair when it breaks down or needs maintenance. The 1800 requires highly specialized tools just to change the engine coolant, adjust the valves or the engine may need to be removed and cases split if the alternator breaks and this takes a lot of the fun of ownership away for my tastes but it's still a nice bike to drive if you can turn a blind eye to these aspects. For me nothing beats the GL1200, I'm totally hooked because this bike fits me perfect.

May you have ten of thousands of troublefree miles on your 1800. Big Grin
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#10 12-27-2007, 07:30 PM,
The 1800's have to have the valve's adjusted?????????? Did Honda forget how to use hydralic lifters?????????

If so, I'd say yes. That's a bike that's designed towards making more money for the dealerships.
1985 Limited Edition
#11 12-27-2007, 08:41 PM,
It sounds like Wing prices are suffering from pretty much the same thing as cages in Canada. I guess it's the old phenomenon of "whatever the market will bare". The automakers are now starting to adjust prices because of lots of bad press. We need the same press coverage for bikes. That being said the Honda dealer in Langley has a new '07 for 25k and change.
#12 12-27-2007, 10:27 PM,
Walter, do you have any idea what the prices are in Seattle?
#13 12-28-2007, 08:50 AM,
Sorry Ian, I haven't been south of the border for a few years. Surprising seeing as I live about ten minutes from a crossing! Mind you, part of that is because with the new regulations I wasn't able to because I didn't have my birth certificate.
#14 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM,
as for working on bikes... newer vehicles run better w/o the old-days tinkering (electronic ignition, fuel injection etc) but when they need to be worked on, most of us cannot do it anymore.... it is sort of a pay-off....

here in Tulsa OK wings and harleys run about the same $$

I have found my Road King is fairly easy to work on, but that has a lot to do with no plastic to remove to do the work
78 GL1000 (original owner), 86 1200 with motorvation sidecar (wife's), 05 Road King, and 75 frame and lots of parts
state map: "Lots"-all states if you indlude all my bikes
#15 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Used 'wing prices (GL1200) - Per Kelly Blue Book RustyTheDog 27 6,929 02-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Last Post: HarrysToy