Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venom Vs Elite
I appreciate all the comments and have learned quite a bit though the thread, now if I can find a EII for the rear to match the front that would be super. the hunt starts. I am currently rebuilding my 1200 and found an issue with the shocks today, not so much an issue more cosmetic, the air shocks in the rear have the black boots that are/were brittle, so I took them off, I have no leaks nor issue with the air system however would like to find perhaps boots for those shocks. Not sure if this thread goes here or not.. but ill try..

thanks

Poorboy
RKMCMD4
#16 01-21-2007, 05:49 PM,
The shock boots are available at several parts providers. On thing you should do is inspect the shock eye bushings. Usually they are also worn out if the boots are shot.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#17 01-21-2007, 06:12 PM,
Would you happen to have the links to those who sell the boots. I found the other, just not the boots.

thanks

Mike
#18 01-26-2007, 08:27 AM,
Just call the local Honda dealers in your area and tell them what you want.

#19 01-26-2007, 09:00 AM,
thanks Vic, great site and hope to ride with some of the posters in the furture!

Mike

RKMCMD4.com
#20 01-29-2007, 03:25 PM,
Let us know what you find at your local Honda dealers Mike.

#21 01-29-2007, 05:38 PM,
Hello everyone, new member here,.......... I need new set of tires and searched for some wisdom brought me here.
Here is the scoop, got me a 1987 Interstate recently with just under 40K, some parts missing and most things in great shape.

I had discovered that my rear tire has strange thread wear when seen from side view, both tires are Metceler Marathon.

Front is like new, no uneven wear, the rear has sort of saw tooth thread pattern, middle section of tire has most ware and it appears more flat then round, making the edges stick out and each chunk of rubber where grooves are sticks out somewhat like a toot on the saw blade.

I believe this is known as "cupping"?, (overinflated tire wares out the middle section first and deforms the tire profile).

How many of you have Dunlop Elite 3 tires on your wings and is that most popular tire to suit these machines.

I never mix my shoes, always ware same pair and brand on both feet and idea of saving money by buying one shoe at a time never apealed to me.
I have favorite pair of shoes and only few other pairs that suit specific purposes, I mostly buy "all seasons" shoes.

Now, you have an idea where this is going, yes I am going to throw away the front good tire and fit a pair of new tires on that bike, I am strange in that way, I also ride this wing on hill side roads, at night, fast, spirited and sometimes dangerously confident.

I have noticed some dancing of rear wheel while cornering which I now associate with this thread wearing pattern I was not aware of till I took a real close look at rear tire from all sides.

Prior to that I have discovered a wobble at about 40 MPH when I let the handlebars loose for just few seconds, it goes away at higher speed.
My steering head feels tight and I can't find anything loose.

I have not noticed any shaking or wobble at high speeds but am keeping it under 70 MPH until I get new tires and rebuild front brakes.

So the question here is, what to get, is Elite 3 best I can get for my money and the way I ride?
I know the debates will never die and all things sad come down to opinions but I am looking for some facts as reported by users of this fairly new tire.

I also have an oil question, guy before me used synthetics, I am not too wild about it and found cheep stuff to be just fine in my previously owned wings.

Question, can I safely go back to organic oil once synthetics have been used for a while?
My car mechanic advised me against it, he claims that synthetics leave coating on engine parts that will come lose with organic oil and cause damage before it is flushed out, if ever.

What have we learned on that topic, facts, any actual support for such claim experienced by anyone here?

Any input greatly appreciated.
#22 06-10-2007, 10:52 AM,
I find the Elite III's to be a very good tire for me although they do howl a bit on long sweeping turns and I have heard the the Michelin Commander is also a good tire so you have a choice.

Regarding the oil, there is so much theory, myths and speculation out there that I would just switch back and not worry about it. I use Castrol GTX 20W50 and it does a great job for me.

#23 06-10-2007, 12:00 PM,
I mounted new E 3s front and rear on my 85 aspy about a month ago.....I LOVE :x them. What a great ride. The ride is smooth and easy, can dive hard into turns, traction is superb, very little tracking on grooved Hwys and very queit...don't sing in turns like the old Conti-Tours did. Well worth the price.
Now that I've said all that, I'm going to try something different on my Naked Lady. I just bought Shinko 230 tourmasters F/R and will mount them as soon as they come in. I decided to run these because I ride solo on this bike and the weight has been significantly reduced.
I would highly recommend the E 3s for any dresser especially if your riding 2-up.
Just thought I'd try a lower cost tire and see how well they work. They have a V rating/150mph. 8)

I'll post again when I get some miles on them.

Attached Files
.jpg   84 standard gl1200 005.JPG (Size: 268.18 KB / Downloads: 159)
#24 03-02-2011, 07:42 PM,
Vic, I thought you were sold on Amsoil. Why the switch to Castrol?
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#25 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM,
Check the date on my post Ian,7/10/2007. I've only been using Amsoil for a couple of years.

#26 03-02-2011, 09:08 PM,
Oops. Sorry, Vic. I can only put it down to prolonged cabin fever! :oops:
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#27 03-03-2011, 08:48 AM,
Fully understandable Ian as I understand that forsaken cabin fever all too well.

#28 03-03-2011, 08:56 AM,
mike44md Wrote:I appreciate all the comments and have learned quite a bit though the thread, now if I can find a EII for the rear to match the front that would be super. the hunt starts. I am currently rebuilding my 1200 and found an issue with the shocks today, not so much an issue more cosmetic, the air shocks in the rear have the black boots that are/were brittle, so I took them off, I have no leaks nor issue with the air system however would like to find perhaps boots for those shocks. Not sure if this thread goes here or not.. but ill try..

thanks

Poorboy
RKMCMD4

There is more to look at than the amount of tread and wear pattern of a tire. Sidewall cracks and rubber brittleness are also things to look for. All of these things can be ignored if you know how to read the ‘born date’ of a tire. It will be stamped into each tire. Prior to the year 2000, three digits were used. DON’T EVEN CONSIDER THESE AS REPLACEMENTS!!! In the year 2000, four digits were used, the first two are the week in the year, the last two are the year. THE NEWER, THE BETTER. Don’t get caught buying ‘new’ tires, still wrapped in plastic or paper if they are 2, 3 or 4 years old. Be careful about these ‘discount tire prices’ as these tires may be old stock and therefore old rubber.

-Ride On
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#29 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tire Mileage, Elite II's versus Elite III's? 16 5,732 03-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Guest
  Reply from Avon regarding Air Pressure for Venom's Hamish 1 1,212 02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Hamish