Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
87 Aspencade carbs on 86 Interstate ideas? HELP!!
Hey guys: I recently purchased a bank of carbs from an '87 Aspencade to put on my '86 Interstate. I got tired of taking my carbs on and off the bike, (4 times now in a year), because they just don't want to synch correctly and run poorly at idle, mid-range and top end. I had CAREFULLY cleaned every passage and installed all new parts on the '86 carbs with no luck, (except for the throttle slides), so I'm planning on at least using the slides from the '87. My bike had been flipped when I bought it so I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but the carbs have only been almost right for 2 days the entire time I've had the bike, (3 years now).
Anyway, I bought the '87 carbs and I noticed they have a larger hose coming out of the end of the carbs that I don't have on my '86. I'm assuming it's probably some PCV system or something. Any ideas on whether I should try the '87 carbs on the '86 or am I wasting my time?
Thanks, Don W.
#1 12-10-2007, 11:51 AM,
I am not sure.. but i would suggest you to rebuild your stock carbs with the new Randakk's Kit. which gives you LOTS of parts to remplace and i bet your problems will be gone after that.

about the spare carbs you have.. i read somewhere that some models use diferent sizes of carbs. cant remember the models so wait untill someone else give u a better answer about this :?
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#2 12-10-2007, 01:48 PM,
If you do anything use the complete and intact 87 carb set on your 86. Don't start mixing and matching different year carb parts otherwise you might end up with more problems. Install a new air cut off valve, use a reducer on the PCV and use new o-rings on the manifolds and try the carbs along with a new gas filter. Try synching and adjusting the carbs according to the manual and come back and let us know how it worked out.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 12-10-2007, 04:18 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  right side carbs running to rich 84 interstate 5 2,427 04-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Last Post: bs175dths