Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
GL1200 LED Kits Now ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Jim,

One quick question.. Don't the resistors lower the intensity of the leds for the turn signals? If I opt to not use the resistors, will the addition of an electronic flasher meet my need? I'm gonna order next month after our profit sharing hits our account. Great lookin' new site!!!

Cheers,
FTO
Forever The Optimist
1986 Blue/Blue Aspencade
Little Elm, Tx
"Go Lobo's"
#31 01-23-2008, 08:19 AM,
Not at all, the resistors do not affect the performance of the LEDs at all.

I have not been able to find the proper electronic flasher for the 1200s.

Also the resistors only function when the turn signal flashes on, not all the time

Jim
#32 01-23-2008, 01:20 PM,
Jim, thanks for posting this....I have put a light kit on my to do list, as $$ and time permit.....

Do you guys also do the colored, decorative light sets? I'm not big on add ons, but I really think my bike deserves some accent lighting for those warm summer nights.

I approached a light vendor at a local show a few years back, and they laughed and said "we only do HD's". I muttered something rude and walked away!!!
#33 01-24-2008, 08:38 AM,
DUH....never mind....

I just went to your website, cool stuff!!

I answered my own question!!!
#34 01-24-2008, 08:42 AM,
85GL1200I Wrote:I approached a light vendor at a local show a few years back, and they laughed and said "we only do HD's". I muttered something rude and walked away!!!

Have you ever priced their Lights?
I could not buy from them people anyway.
I have been to vendors booths and seen some of the exact lights I sell and they want from 3 to 5 times more than my price, what a rip off......

The decorative Lights that I sell have the extra long lead wires too.
LED trim bolts have the 48" lead wires.
Flexible strips have 60" lead wires.

I use the bolts in the license plate, they can also be used anywhere a 1/4 inch bolt would go.

I have the flexible strips on my brake rotor covers and under my trunk and saddlebags.

I have the pods under the tank to light the engine, inside the lower fairing vents to give the vents a cool glow and under the nose of the fairing.

I also have a full set of LEDs in my instruments, gives them a more modern look.

I will be putting on my GL1200 Mud flap soon and will be adding 4 Red LED bolts there and also probably either 4 LED pods or 1 12" Red Led strip.

The possibilities are endless.........
#35 01-24-2008, 03:49 PM,
Jim, I really didn't have a clue what LED's sell for....this was a few years ago. I was just astonished by their attitude, saying that "we only do Harleys". There was one bike there being worked on, I didn't see any line or people waiting.

As far as your products, what would you suggest for somebody wanting to do some accent lighting on a 1200? I'm thinking a few under the saddlebags, and maybe some tucked up above the motor would be cool. Any other ideas?
#36 01-25-2008, 07:20 AM,
85GL1200I Wrote:Jim, I really didn't have a clue what LED's sell for....this was a few years ago. I was just astonished by their attitude, saying that "we only do Harleys". There was one bike there being worked on, I didn't see any line or people waiting.

As far as your products, what would you suggest for somebody wanting to do some accent lighting on a 1200? I'm thinking a few under the saddlebags, and maybe some tucked up above the motor would be cool. Any other ideas?

I understand exactly why "they only do Harleys"
The reason is that they are so simple to install on the Harley.
The Harleys power system is so simple that a monkey could find the proper wires to attach to.
I’m not saying that a Harley is a bad bike to own by no means, but they are very basic in their design and that makes them much easier to install extras on.

LEDs are also easy to install on the Gold Wing, as well as the other metric bikes out there.
The difference is, you may have to remove a panel here, or a panel there to run the wiring, but it is so easy to do.

For instance, I have a 24" blue LED Flexible strip under my trunk on my Aspy. They are facing down to illuminate the saddlebags and the ground, I had to remove 3 Phillips screws, drop the panel that you remove to access the Tail/Brake lights, Probe 2 wires to find the running light circuit, ground is easy to find, Tap the wires using the quick splice connectors,
Attach the 3M double-sided tape to the strip, and attach the strip to the panel reinstall the panel and the 3 screws.

It took all of 5 Min. to complete

I replaced every Light Bulb on my bike with LEDs added the strips, the pods, the LED Bolts, the turn signal resistors and was completely finished in less than 1 hour.

And most of the vendors say it takes too long?
Or we only work on Harley?

Maybe they just have too much money and don’t want to work.......

Anyway, to answer your question.

I would install the GL1200 basic LED kit; this will save you much power.
I would also install 1-24" Flexible strip under the trunk.
1-12" Flexible strip under each saddlebag.
4- LED bolts on the license plate.
4- LED pods in the fairing vents.
4- LED pods over the engine.
4- LED pods for under the floorboards (if applicable.)
2- 24" LED strips for the brake rotor covers (if applicable.)
2 LED valve caps
2 LED pods for the bottom side of the fairing.

These are all of the locations of my LEDs
It gets many compliments.
You can add as many or as few as you want.
Even with a package like this you are still saving a ton of power..

Jim
#37 01-25-2008, 03:53 PM,
rvtechA1 Wrote:(Prices as listed 1/25/2008)

$134.00 = I would install the GL1200 basic LED kit; this will save you much power.

$21.95 ea. = I would also install 1-24" Flexible strip under the trunk.

$31.90 (2 at $15.95 ea) = 1-12" Flexible strip under each saddlebag.

$11.90 (2 at $5.95) = 4 - LED bolts on the license plate.

$20.00 (4 at $5.00 ea) = 4- LED pods in the fairing vents.

$20.00 (4 at $5.00 ea) = 4- LED pods over the engine.

$20.00 (4 at $5.00 ea) = 4- LED pods for under the floorboards (if applicable.)

$43.90 (2 at $21.95 ea.) = 2- 24" LED strips for the brake rotor covers (if applicable.)

$5.95 = 2 LED valve caps

$10.00 (2 at $5.00 ea) = 2 LED pods for the bottom side of the fairing.

TOTAL $319.60

These are all of the locations of my LEDs
Hey Jim. Let me know if I got this right. I took your post, went to the web site and added the costs for each part listed (the cost to install EVERYTHING). Install that pieces you want but if you did EVERYTHING, you are looking at $319.60 (prices as of 1/25/2008). I would assume some kind of shipping charge would apply on top of that for whatever you buy right? Did I get that right?

I might send you (or post) a picture of my bike. I was fortunate that a previous owner put so MANY light on my bike it is WILD, not the fancy LED or "highlight" lights, just a LOT of lights . . . Probably would leave all of them alone (they work and the Poorboy kit definitely provides enough "juice") and just look to add accent lights.

Speaking of just accent lights . . . Sounds pretty straight-forward but I had these questions if you don't mind

4 - LED bolts on the license plate. - are these wired?

4- LED pods in the fairing vents. - are you referring to the area where the "shark fins" are? If so I think if you have a Poorboy installation there is no room on the left side.

4- LED pods over the engine. - how / where are these mounted? It is pretty tight in there and I am curious where they would go.

2 LED pods for the bottom side of the fairing. - where would these mount? Not sure what you mean? are we talking just below the headlight area and above the radiator?

LAST QUESTION (I hope) - the lights installed on my bike now are "switched". I can turn them on or off with a button on the AVC panel on the left side of the bike. If the accent lighting was installed I would like to be able to turn them on or off. So we are talking about installing a switch between the power source and the light(S) to do this. Do you sell the switches and what kind (guage of) wire would you run between the power source to switch to light(S)

Thanks
85 & 93 Aspencade's
#38 01-25-2008, 08:16 PM,
Hey Jim. Let me know if I got this right. I took your post, went to the web site and added the costs for each part listed (the cost to install EVERYTHING). Install that pieces you want but if you did EVERYTHING, you are looking at $319.60 (prices as of 1/25/2008). I would assume some kind of shipping charge would apply on top of that for whatever you buy right? Did I get that right?

Your Total is right
Shipping on an order of this size is free

I might send you (or post) a picture of my bike. I was fortunate that a previous owner put so MANY light on my bike it is WILD, not the fancy LED or "highlight" lights, just a LOT of lights . . . Probably would leave all of them alone (they work and the Poorboy kit definitely provides enough "juice") and just look to add accent lights.

You can also replace all of those filiment bulbs with the better looking LED bulbs. I have very low sale prices on all small bulbs going on now.

Speaking of just accent lights . . . Sounds pretty straight-forward but I had these questions if you don't mind.

I welcome any and all of your questions, you can even P.M. Me for my phone number if you would like to talk about the LEDs

4 - LED bolts on the license plate. - are these wired?

Yes, 2 wire hook up to tail light circuit, these will attach into the same wires as the strips.

4- LED pods in the fairing vents. - are you referring to the area where the "shark fins" are? If so I think if you have a Poorboy installation there is no room on the left side.

Plenty of room for these, they are about the same diameter as a quarter, and the height of a stack of 4 quarters.
1 pod to the rear of the shark fins & 1 above the front vent on each side.

4- LED pods over the engine. - how / where are these mounted? It is pretty tight in there and I am curious where they would go.

1 toward the front end of the false tank, and 1 at the rear of the false tank just under the edge

2 LED pods for the bottom side of the fairing. - where would these mount? Not sure what you mean? are we talking just below the headlight area and above the radiator?

Yes, they will cast that kool glow onto the front fender, radiator, rotors, and such, the more chrome you have the better the effect.

LAST QUESTION (I hope) - the lights installed on my bike now are "switched". I can turn them on or off with a button on the AVC panel on the left side of the bike. If the accent lighting was installed I would like to be able to turn them on or off. So we are talking about installing a switch between the power source and the light(S) to do this. Do you sell the switches and what kind (guage of) wire would you run between the power source to switch to light(S)

I would add or use one of the existing switches, 16 guage from power to switch, 16 guage from switch to LEDs.
I do not have the switches.
also, you can hook many of your LEDs to the same wire as they draw nearly no power.
I have all 3 of my strips, and my license plate bolts on 1 wire
and all the rest of them on another wire from the same circuit.

Thanks
#39 01-25-2008, 08:45 PM,
rvtechA1 Wrote:(A lot of message removed)

Plenty of room for these, they are about the same diameter as a quarter, and the height of a stack of 4 quarters. 1 pod to the rear of the shark fins & 1 above the front vent on each side.
I had no idea these units were that compact. When you look at the pictures at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lednights.com/led%20accesories.html">http://www.lednights.com/led%20accesories.html</a><!-- m --> I did not get a good perspective on size.

I am impressed at the volume of light generated by the LED's. I bought a small battery powered unit for inside my house and initially thought NO WAY is this going to work. I was pleasantly surprised and amazed at the amount of light generated.

Thanks for the response . . . Now I got to figure out if I paint the bike and then do this or . . . . do this then paint . . . .
85 & 93 Aspencade's
#40 01-25-2008, 08:55 PM,
The LEDs are very impressive, what kind did you get for the house?

I am enjoying watching a lot of the automotive manufacturers phasing in the LED systems into the new cars and trucks.
Most of the big truck makers are installing LEDs at the factory now.
Even the coal trucks that run out of the strip mines are using them, much more durable than filiment.
There are 2 manufacturers out there now that actually use LED headlights,
I cant wait to see them on the road.
I also have recently received 2 sample LED bulbs from a manufacturer to try, I powered them up in the kitchen, and wow Confusedhock: Confusedhock: they were too bright, They make great back up lights though.
#41 01-25-2008, 10:35 PM,
Cool.....thanks for the info!!!

Dreaming of warm summer nights, glowing around town......... Confusedhock:
#42 01-26-2008, 06:39 AM,
rvtechA1 Wrote:The LEDs are very impressive, what kind did you get for the house?
I bought this cheapy system just to try it out from Harbor Freight. I figured for $5 I'd give it a shot. It gives off a TON of light.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95276">http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=95276</a><!-- m -->

I just noticed my growing use of the word TON. I used it a TON in the Poorboy Installation instructions :lol: :lol: :lol:
85 & 93 Aspencade's
#43 01-26-2008, 01:40 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spring GL1200 make ready 4 1,262 03-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Last Post: neoracer