Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Problem with my speed sensor --any help????
I could really use some advice on my speed sensor problem. It has been acting erratic the last couple days and only works about half the time. Today I took it apart and cleaned it with some electric cleaner and put everything back together, it seemed to work good for about 10 miles and quit and no amount of tinkering with it will get it to work now. I followed the manual and took the sensor off and connected a volt meter to the brown/black and yellow/black and with out rotating the sensor I had a constant 5 volts. When we would rotate the sensor it would swing to over 9 volts and back down to 5-6 volts.

When we unplugged the sensor from the wiring harness and checked the voltage at the harness itself, it would show .05 volts.

The manual said the volt meter should swing from 0 to 5 volts aprox 8 times when the sensor is rotated one complete turn. So with this information am I safe to assume that the speed sensor needs to be replaced? It is a rather expensive part (the cheapest I have it for thus far 147.00) so I was hoping for second opinions before I had shell out that kind of money. Any help would be great and does anybody of a cheaper source for this part.

Thanks again everybody.
Curtis
Everyday is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Curtis

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-copy.jpg]
#1 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM,
Sounds like it, That was what mine did when it went although it was under warranty. that was a long time ago at about 35,000k.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM,
Tricky-- Thanks for the information, I was hoping for a less expensive approach. Big Grin I guess I better just bite the bullet and get one ordered.
Thanks again.
Curtis
Curtis

#3 11-18-2007, 07:11 PM,
I experieced the same routine. Cleaned it up and it worked for thirty or so miles and quit. I found a used good one on eBay for $80.
Bill

1984 Aspencade - Pearl Blue/Grey
2004 RoadStar - White
#4 11-19-2007, 05:36 PM,
Same here with my 84 aspy. I got one from ebay for 45.00. You just got to look and wait.
#5 11-19-2007, 06:27 PM,
Thanks for the help everybody, I have my eye on Ebay now looking for one. I guess in the mean time I will have to use trafic and RPM as my speedometer. Big Grin
Thanks again
Curtis

#6 11-20-2007, 07:24 AM,
You could also get a GPS and get the true speed reading.

#7 11-20-2007, 08:55 AM,
I must say that I have thought about that as well. I have never even looked into GPS systems. Do they all give you real time speed or just some models? I guess that gives me something to look into.
Thanks
Curtis

#8 11-20-2007, 11:24 AM,
I dont know about all of them, If my Garmin V does which is an older model, I would presume so

#9 11-20-2007, 01:34 PM,
Thanks Tricky, I am going to look into that. I am hoping to make some long trips with her and a GPS might help us out.
Curtis

#10 11-20-2007, 01:45 PM,
I have a GPS on the handle bar and it's great for telling you the actual precise mph. However, when the LCD display just sits at zero, even though you have the GPS, you want the bike's system up and running, and not just to keep it in operating condition. You need a good speed sensor also to run the odometer and switch off the turn signals.
Bill

2004 RoadStar - White
#11 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM,
Oh I understand what you mean. I am still going to replace the speed sensor. The GPS will just be an add on for the long cross country trips I do hope to make. I can add it to my wish list and save my pennies.
Curtis

#12 11-20-2007, 02:07 PM,
My speedometer (84 Aspy) went out last summer. I was assuming it was the sensor. I took off the front wheel and discovered the speedo gearbox was the culprit. This is the mechanical part of the speedometer system and the part that is more likely to fail. The cost to replace is about half that of the sensor, about $60 new. In fact, the plastic ring with the cog that drives the unit had been damaged and that part can be replaced for under $20. I replaced the entire gearbox because I felt better having the whole unit new.

If the sensor is at fault, $140 new is about as good as it gets. I purchased the gearbox through Shawmut-Hills in Grand Rapids, MI (<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.shawmuthills.com">http://www.shawmuthills.com</a><!-- w -->). They didn't have it in stock, but took about a week for them to get it from Honda and shipped to me. They do have microfiche parts locator on the website.

Safe riding!
Mike
1984 GL1200 Aspencade
#13 12-26-2007, 09:00 AM,
I have 85 LTD the beze up.. the bearing in the speed sensor at the wheel froze up. I think the gear in the wheel stripped out.
I have an 85 interstate for parts. The gear on the front wheel looks like it would fit. Would i need to put the whole wheel on? How would I remove the gear if it can be done? Also while I am at it anybody have a bearing for the sensor?

Wayne
#14 03-02-2008, 03:10 PM,
Two sensors currently on eBay less than $50.
Bill

2004 RoadStar - White
#15 03-02-2008, 04:21 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing speed sensor bluewing 9 3,602 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Last Post: admin
  speed sensor issues I think aragonwhite 7 2,687 09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky