Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Wired problem ( scared ) it was working fine!!
i didn't get it when you said the cylinder head drain hole..
the electrode and all around even the thread it was easy to clean im trying to hope that its all gas and not oil :oops: she ran really fine last night i think this is fixed i hope this don't happen again Big Grin

thanks for all your advices Wink ride safe
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#31 12-01-2007, 09:09 AM,
You didn't state wether the plug was wet on the inside or the outside. On our Wings there is a drain hole in the cylinder head next to the spark plugs and if this hole plugs up with dirt and debris or spider webs the spark plug area can fill with water and short out the spark plugs and cause the engine to miss and run rough. The solution is to pass a piece of wire through the plugged hole and let the water drain out and clear the hole so it can't fill up with water again.

I'm glad you got it running good.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#32 12-01-2007, 09:19 AM,
oh... well ill try to find that hole and clean it up anyway. it was wet inside Wink
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#33 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM,
Hi guys,
I have followed this thread and its nice to know its resolved, I have had trouble with one spark plug filling with water and didnt know of the drain hole so Vic ...youve helped me too. Thank you.........who knows how many others read all these topics and have picked up on the great advice and experience on this site. Thank you all for your time, patience and understanding in helping all who seek help on this site.
Bob & Lori.
1984 1200GL INTERSTATE.
1994 1500GL ASPENCADE
BRUNSWICK NY
WHATS STOPPING YOU FROM RIDING TODAY?
#34 12-05-2007, 03:12 PM,
That plugged drain hole can be quite sneaky because it will fill up and make the bike run rough but you'll remove the spark plugs and the water will drain into the cylinder and you won't even know the problem was there.

It's good maintenance to pour some water in there every now and then to check the drain. If the water drains out slow it's time to clean the drains. A piece of wire cleans the drain hole nicely.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#35 12-05-2007, 05:41 PM,