Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Cheap CB installation, under $100.
I ran external wiring and initially tied into the bike's speaker system but this caused feedback so I mounted a small speaker on top of my dash visor and it works perfectly.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#16 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM,
[Image: 55070782.JPG]

I did find a good radio for you Vic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
87 Interstate
1954 Ford f100 (my dads and granddads truck)

Rust is good

Enjoy the ride

http://www.calorchard.net/

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-1.jpg]
#17 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM,
What, no stereo, at least the color is right. :lol:

#18 01-21-2010, 08:24 PM,
How did you hook into the antenae. Did you plug the CB ant into the splitter box. On my 85 Aspy the ant line (one) comes to a splitter box that splits them into two lines out (radio/cb). Second question it looks like the panel in the pics where the cb is now was almost custom made. Was it a panel that had a cb originally or one that didn't have the cb and was just flat panel below the stereo adjustment knobs above? Thanks
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
Honda 85 gl1200 aspy (present ride)
#19 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM,
2 separate antennas for CB and stereo. I just carefully measured and cut out the hole in the stock flat panel and after complete installation I ran a bead of RTV silicone around the edge to seal it and make it look more finished.

#20 01-25-2010, 06:12 PM,
Thanks for the information VIc
Honda 55
Honda Super 90
Honda 160
Honda 305
Bultaco 250
Triumph T120R Bonneville
Honda 85 gl1200 aspy (present ride)
#21 01-26-2010, 12:14 PM,
You're welcome.

#22 01-26-2010, 01:13 PM,
I know this is a rather old post, Vic, but I wondered if you still had this CB install in use. If so, did you stick with the handheld mic or did you find a suitable headset/ptt switch to use. My wife and I have started riding with a GWRRA group and we're the only one's with no CB. It can be a problem when we get separated from the group in heavy traffic, so I'm considering trying your solution.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#23 06-18-2011, 08:24 PM,
Nice job, and a good price too.

HOWEVER?

I sure would like to see you keying it up in an emergency to warn the group that you are leading whilst also swerving, and shifting, to avoid the road hazard like a rock/dirt slide around that twistie, a boulder in the road around that blind corner, a downhill decreasing radius corner, or a sideways sliding car coming at you as you come around a corner.

Been there and done all of these too!

My chapter has heard such cries of "CAR, CAR" or "Rocks in road", or even one time in the Sierras as I disappeared around a blind turn and huge boulder at 30mph in third gear, "STEEP HILL, FIRST GEAR", of course I also hit neutral and started rolling backwards within three car lengths before I kicked it into first and wheelied off of the second bikes front wheel as he came around and saw me coming back at him!

But we won't go there will we?

:-
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#24 06-18-2011, 09:59 PM,
Chas Wrote:I know this is a rather old post, Vic, but I wondered if you still had this CB install in use. If so, did you stick with the handheld mic or did you find a suitable headset/ptt switch to use. My wife and I have started riding with a GWRRA group and we're the only one's with no CB. It can be a problem when we get separated from the group in heavy traffic, so I'm considering trying your solution.

Hi Charlie, I do still use the CB with a handheld mic on group rides although I have found a headset and Honda PTT switch to use but have not hooked it up as of yet. I rarely, if ever hold the mic in my hand while riding for safety reasons so instead I leave it clipped to the handlebar while using it allowing me to keep both hands on the handlebars at all times. The delay with using the headset is because the headset I obtained is for use with a 3/4 helmet and the helmet I use mostly for riding is a 1/2 helmet which does not work with the headset I have. One of these days I'll get the headset working but it just hasn't been a priority so it always gets back shelf although when I'm using the handheld mic I always curse and say to myself that I've got to get that headset working because it just makes a million times more sense to use it on the bike because of the safety, convenience and practicality factors plus it should deliver a lot less noise when transmitting compared to the handheld mic which picks up bike and road noise during transmissions. I'll post here when I finally get the headset installed and report on how it works.

#25 06-19-2011, 04:39 AM,
Thanks for responding, Vic. That is good information. I will see if I can go down the headset/PTT path and post if I have some success.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#26 06-19-2011, 01:00 PM,