Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bent rear rim
Just removed the rear wheel on our 1984 Aspencade to put a new dunlope Elite 111 and noticed one edge of the rim is bent , pushed in, not in a complete circle. This is only on one side on the rim, must have hit a hard bump. Couldn't feel any problem when riding!!
Question is - the tire holds air no problem, Can we put the new tire on and be confortable there won't be any problems or do we need a new rim???

First time post - Thanks for any advise.[/b]
#1 11-05-2007, 04:29 PM,
Welcome to the forum from Ont.,Canada

I think I would try to find another rim.There seems to be lots of them on e-bay fairly cheap.There are a few bike wreckers here in Ont. also,but I don't know what the shipping would be like.

Other than that I would suggest taking it to a tire shop(Mag wheel store) and see if they think it can be straitened safely.
Fatwing Chris
If Id'a known it would last this long I would've taken better care of it !!!
[Image: NewBabyPicsSpring024SmallCustom-1.jpg]
#2 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM,
Thank You Chris & Greetings from the East Coast.
Yes, to be completely confident a new rim would be the answer, but Can one buye a new rim? Would one be confident in a used rim? A trip to a local shop will get their opinion as you say.

I took a 93 GL1500 for a ride a month ago and it seemed like I was riding a car on two wheels, I see you moved up - How was the transition? and are they that much better?

Thanks
Frank
#3 11-06-2007, 07:22 AM,
Frank
Don't know about a new rim,but I don't think you would have a problem with a used rim.Do you have any wreckers there on the coast?If not I know a place that would probably ship one.Or you could come up,have a visit and pick it up yourself.

As far as the 1500 goes,I'm pretty happy with it although it is not for everyone.It is a big old boat,but for the type of riding the wife and I do we do find it more comfortable. It does handle surprisingly well for the size and weight of it.I will say that I did put a Hartco seat on it as we didn't find the stock seat very comfortable.I guess I'm getting lazy as I don't find myself shifting as much.Just don't have to.If you like to wind it up that's OK too,it'll take it pretty well.You are the only one that can decide whether the move is worth it.
Fatwing Chris
#4 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM,
Just an up date, we have purchased a used rim and it is OK. The bent rim I had still has a good drive flange and rotor attached too it (also the tire is on it but it is worn out)

If anyone needs the drive flange or rotor PM me.

Thanks
Frank
#5 01-31-2008, 10:38 AM,
Glad to hear you got a rim Frank.
Fatwing Chris
#6 01-31-2008, 06:18 PM,
Thanks Chris, ya we've done alot of work on her.

Just finished the poorboy Alternator conversion, (what a differnce in charge, didn't need it but did it anyway) Changed timming belts, All filters and fluids changed - coolant, brakes, clutch, motor, final drive, air/fuel filters, new brake disk pads, front wheel bearings, fixed or replaced alot of wiring, added driving lights, floor boards, highway boards and probably more that I can't think of right now.

You know what I found to do a Great job in cleaning and shining the whole bike plastic, chrome and rubber!!! You'll think I'm nuts but try it if you dare and you won't believe the result -------- Armoral No Touch Tire Cleaner!!!!!! ------ It actually brought a shine to the old faded clear coat!!!!

Wife and I are planing a trip to NFLD in July - Do you think you'll be heading East this summer?

Keep Smillin
Frank
#7 01-31-2008, 06:38 PM,